Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cab Power Top Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Cab Power Top Failure

Six years and it finally happened as I knew it would at some point.

Put the top down for a great sunny Virginia drive. Got home and tried to close the top, no workey.

When I push the rocker switch either direction I hear a clicking noise in back but no movement. The down limit switch is activated and I checked all of the electrical connections behind the right rear side motor cover for security. Checked fuse #3 in the front and it is good. Ensured key was in posn 1 and emer brake was set.

Went ahead and followed owner's manual instructions to manually close power roof (unscrewed both main bolts in back by two turns and manually brought roof to A pillar. Engaged the microswitches and again pushed the rocker switch with no movement which manual indicates as an electrical problem. Used a screwdriver as described to manually activate the latch motors and secured my top in the closed position.

Sounds electrical to me. Hoping it is as simple as the emer brake switch or the rocker switch. Any suggestions or a trouble shooting matrix out there?

Thanks,

Geno

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 05-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Also: the red in-transit light is on full time now...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Top is working again after a trip to the mechanic...

The Convertible Top Cable (Motor to Transmission-Left Side) was worn out causing it not to engage. Replaced the cable and all was good. In the picture the cable is on the right side. You can see in the picture how the driving mechanism has pulled back into the cable housing on the right compared to the left. Apperantly the driver side cable is the hardest workd as it drives the top mechanism from full down to about mid way up when the other side takes over for the easier job of getting it to the windshield. The picture is looking at the center of the rear seats with the seats folded forward. The two cables that are pictured mate into the dual motor that is mounted behind the back deck panel and between the two cable ends.

Hope this helps anyone in the future with similar indications.

Geno
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cab Power Top Failure