Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PCNA Atlanta Move

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM
hbtd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCNA Atlanta Move

I posted this in the General forum but I spend time here. Not a 911 topic but it might be of interest to the Atlanta area folks...

Interesting move by PCNA to move from the north Atlanta suburbs to an old Ford plant south of Atlanta near the airport. A Silverstone type track sounds neat.

http://www.ajc.com/business/porsche-...hq-941520.html
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for them. Next time I am in the area I want to check it out.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems I recall when I went to Atl. for Factory Tech training, it was down by the airport. Different location perhaps. Where is Hammond Ave?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
hbtd
Intermediate

whalebird, Hammond is on the northside of Atlanta (Sandy Springs) where Porsche is currently located. That's a long way from the airport.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Yea. My training was definitly by the airport (not Hammond ave). I will look at my records as I may have the address. It was a dedicated training center with full shop space and classrooms. It was VERY nice. Curiously, all the office furniture was upholstered in the Porsche script material a la 944.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Porsche training center is on River Road not to far from the Airport:

Originally Posted by whalebird
Yea. My training was definitly by the airport (not Hammond ave). I will look at my records as I may have the address. It was a dedicated training center with full shop space and classrooms. It was VERY nice. Curiously, all the office furniture was upholstered in the Porsche script material a la 944.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting. Isn't California they're biggest US market? And they probably never a plate appearance.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Muss. I was also Mercedes-trained in Jax. Fla. Benz said that 1/3 of their N. American market was California, and that N. America was 1/3 their total market. The East coast was another 1/3 of N. American sales with New York and Florida being the lion's share of that. With N.Y. adopting CARB emission standards, it was prudent for Benz to make cars to meet CARB standards and simply sell them globally. That was almost 10 years ago, so things may have migrated around a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if Porsche demographs were similar.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
hbtd
Intermediate

Follow up article to the PCNA relocation to the Atl airport. Nice track.

http://www.ajc.com/business/porsche-...00-943659.html
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
jr_p
3rd Gear

Very nice. I am interested with the track! That area does need a lot of economic development. i guess Porsche is trying to be a trail blazer
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the Sandy Springs HQ and it is a handsome if modest office building with a current 911 on a pedestal out front. It seemed an odd place to be located as there was no apparent "connectivity" in the area. Being near the airport will be a huge benefit for those travelling to and from the home office.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
hbtd
Intermediate

The move to the airport seems really shrewd for Porsche for execs, buyers, celebs, enthusiasts, etc. World's busy airport with flights to/from just about anywhere. With Southwest Air buying Airtran there will be even more flights. People can fly in, head to the HQ and track, stay in one of the airport area hotels, fly out very easily. Nice.

For local PCNA employees however that is another story. Being in the current Sandy Springs area, I assume a lot of those folks live in the surrounding affluent north Atlanta area. Having lived in Atlanta since 1970, Hapeville is very far from affluent. Maybe employees got a break to relocate to Peachtree City.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
TRG1
Intermediate

PCNA's commercial lease on their north Atlanta headquarters expires in 2013, so this announcement is a logical move. Yes, California is their largest volume market, but it is probably the last place that they would consider relocating their corporate headquarters. Very few major businesses are moving to California. California is one of the most un-business friendly environments in the nation.

Quick Reply: PCNA Atlanta Move