Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone seen this car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes, there's the time the 930 was in for a new M/C, and Pete was worried the 5 kilos of coke in the boot were gonna get pinned on him....LOL.
Well, I can tell you about the customer who bought his dream car, a white pearl 993 Cab, from a, at the time, well-known rapper. He was doing a thorough cleaning of the white interior and discovered a button under the dash. Curious, he pushed it. The passenger side airbag door popped open, and inside was a loaded .38 cal Saturday Night Special, and a bag of white powder. Needless to say, he called the cops, who came out, took the evidence, and got fingerprint dust everywhere.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Did someone say Riverside? Drove by there just six hours ago. R.I.P.
Doug, is that my Riverside "trophy" or one just like it?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Well, I can tell you about the customer who bought his dream car, a white pearl 993 Cab, from a, at the time, well-known rapper. He was doing a thorough cleaning of the white interior and discovered a button under the dash. Curious, he pushed it. The passenger side airbag door popped open, and inside was a loaded .38 cal Saturday Night Special, and a bag of white powder. Needless to say, he called the cops, who came out, took the evidence, and got fingerprint dust everywhere.

Doug, is that my Riverside "trophy" or one just like it?
It's yours. Posted years ago. Love it.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
It's yours. Posted years ago. Love it.
I had a hunch. I wonder how many of those exist, I actually know where mine is!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I loved that track, first time racing on asphalt for me. I remember going to Big Willow for the following event and saying what are we doing here, let's go back to Riverside.

I had bought a clean rust free 69 T with what Peter later described as a paperweight for a motor although I think a paperweight may have run better. After a complete rebuild the Redline boys graciously invited me to come out to Riverside and race it at a club event. Pete, Topper was there would that have been POC or PCA?
I was newly arrived here from the UK and didn't know much but the invite was for 3 weeks hence so I asked: "What if it rains"? Dumb looks.....it was July. That was when they all realized they had a genius on their hands.

Anyway, not sure where that came from, my point is, when the track was demo'ed I saw an add in The Recycler (yeah, pre Ebay, can you imagine?) for one of the Gator Backs or teeth allegedly from the old track. Cheap. I went out to Sunland thinking I would bring it home for the garage wall- have you ever seen one of those when they dig it up? Had to be 12 foot long! The seller looked at me and at the car and started barking like a dog, could not contain himself. I seem to have that effect on people.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a cool story Mr. BH.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Aaaah, Mr. BH, you have lost none of your wit. Which is a really good thing!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:23 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I am going to see if I can dig up a shot of me sitting on the hood of the 69t, I didn't have a race suit but if I did I sure wouldn't be able to get into it!

When I bought the first 911 I did pretty much everything Pete says in his book not to do so the rebuild duly took place at Redline and back then took about 5 weeks. Often I would drop in to check progress and shoot the breeze, I learned a fair amount about air cooled motors even though tools and I remain mortal enemies to this day. Sometimes we would all eat lunch together and I was introduced to Patty Melts.

During the 1000 mile post rebuild service we were all eating lunch at the counter in the Redline shop, not sure how the conversation got to license plate frames but Pete said anyone who doesn't have some kind of frame on their Porsche should be taken out back and beaten for being a moron lowlife that doesn't deserve a vehicle of any kind, or words to that effect.

All five heads present slowly turned to my car up on the closest hoist.... I really had no idea, never thought about it.....no license plate frame. Somehow as we looked I think we all knew there wasn't going to be one, I was the first to start laughing and soon we were all shaking with that kind of helpless mirth where you worry you may get oxygen starvation.

I know Pete always took great pride in his customer service skills.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a thread looking for the car in my avatar once a year for about 5 years and ultimately found the car, which was great. The current owner, understanding that I had been looking for it for so long is asking me about 5 to 10 grand more than it's worth. I still may buy it back, but it is difficult to knowingly pay that much more for a car than it's worth. Stay as low profile as possible while looking and try not to be too enthusiastic if you do find it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont spend too much time on Rennlist so I am late to this one. Mr BH. here's a little nostalgia for you: 1977 Turbo grand- prix white w cork leather interior I purschased form Pete in 1994. The first two pictures were taken a few years back. I dropped the engine (first time in 16 years of owning this car) last year and did a complete top end, cams, rings, clutch and a bunch of other stuff. After 7 months, the rebuild was completed in Oct of 2010. Two weeks after I completed the install, I was rear-ended. I opted for a complete respray: it was the only real fix. The car is currently being cared for at Automotive Inovations and Resortrations in Van Nuys and is coming along very nicely. I am hoping to get this back on the road really soon.....
Attached Images      
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

My "baby" hit? Oh, no! I hope that you're OK, you didn't get hurt, did you? And after all the work to fix the rear lid lower latch panel paint! Are you sure that the shop has done a proper pull as necessary?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Nothing too major, and no, I was not hurt by the teen-age driver texting when she hit me. There was some bumpber damage, engine lid , rear reflector, and yes the rear latch panel were damaged. The repair included blending the rear quarters and the roof. The paint on the rest of car was starting to show its age with a lot of checking in the clear coat especially on the front so i opted for a complete respray rather than just some panels the insurance was going to pay for. Kevin Mentzer who runs the shop has done a terrific job and has completely checked the body alignment with no issues. The car will get all new seals, new headliner and a new leather covered dash. Its sporting all new Dunlop SP 8000's, upgraded turbo brakes, and with the engine refresh, it will be as awesome running and well as looking, as it was when it was in the prior owner's garage.... Pete, your baby is in good hands.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stevie 77 930
Nothing too major, and no, I was not hurt by the teen-age driver texting when she hit me. There was some bumpber damage, engine lid , rear reflector, and yes the rear latch panel were damaged. The repair included blending the rear quarters and the roof. The paint on the rest of car was starting to show its age with a lot of checking in the clear coat especially on the front so i opted for a complete respray rather than just some panels the insurance was going to pay for. Kevin Mentzer who runs the shop has done a terrific job and has completely checked the body alignment with no issues. The car will get all new seals, new headliner and a new leather covered dash. Its sporting all new Dunlop SP 8000's, upgraded turbo brakes, and with the engine refresh, it will be as awesome running and well as looking, as it was when it was in the prior owner's garage.... Pete, your baby is in good hands.
I know that!!! Be well, Steve!

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this car?