Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help - Targa Roof Rebuilder in Los Angeles Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 01:30 AM
daberger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Targa Roof Rebuilder in Los Angeles Area

I am going deaf from the wind noise my 88 Targa roof makes! I have heard that there is a Targa roof expert in the SF Valley, somewhere. If anyone knows of this person, or anyone else in the Los Angeles area, I really would appreciate their contact details.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:32 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm .... if there is a targa-top expert in the LA area, I sure would like to know. As far as I'm aware, your best bet is to send your top to either Dan Patchel or Dave Brown--both advertise in Excellence magazine.

Dan did my top--great work. Before I sent it to Dan, I let a local upholstery shop recover the top. The shop was recommended by a respected, local body shop ("We send all our tops there"). Big mistake, waste of $175 (yes, an attractive price), as my top resonated like Niagara Falls was landing on the roof. Expensive lesson that there are no shortcuts in targa-top rebuilding.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:27 AM
daberger
Track Day

Thank you for the advice. My only concern is whether it is necessary for whoever rebuilds my roof to actually see the roof in situ. My roof appears to be too high at the front - especially on the passenger side. How can someone who does not see the roof installed effect the necessary adjustment? Are my concerns unfounded? All advice appreciated.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:20 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Dan will need to see the top on the car to make any adjustments. He rebuilds (not "just recovers") the tops completely and then includes directions for any adjustments that you may need to do when you get the top back, but unless you have a new front seal in that wasn't installed correctly (very possible, known issues with the new seals) you shouldn't really have to worry about anything but maybe the side seals, and then only if you drive in the rain.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:29 AM
daberger
Track Day

Thanks Steve. I bought this car last year and the previous owner had already had the roof recovered locally by a trim shop (not a Porsche expert!) The top looks good, other than the fit, but it also looks like the seal was changed - perhaps equally inexpertly. Is there any way to tell whether the seal is also part of the problem? If the seal does need to be replaced, can anyone advise me of a competant shop who can install it?
Old 02-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still no local LA shop, but here's a relevant thread on the Pelican Parts board:

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?threadid=56334&referrerid=0" target="_blank">Targa Top Thread</a>

An interesting quote from the thread:

"Typically folks only decide to have the top material and headliner replaced, and sometimes the burlap as well. What folks don't know is if the top they are looking at is original for the car...they fly off and a used one is purchase.

What does this mean? Well, the internal plates need to be realigned and set down again. Wonder why the top is high at the back corners, or at the front? You must start with a flat bed of 'plates, then the webs 'cross these, then the burlap, etc. THAT is how to get a quiet top."
Old 02-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

I just had my top redone by Autos International...it's on the way back to me as I write this. Based on the well-known caliber of their work I expect it will be awesome, but I'll be sure to post comments and update some pics on my site shortly.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:38 PM
daberger
Track Day

Where are Autos Intl, how much do they charge, and how long does it take?

Sounds like most agree that sending the roof to an established rebuilder is the way to go, but I still wonder how to assess the front seal
Old 03-13-2002, 02:11 AM
James Gerecke
2nd Gear

Talking

I recently had my '89 Targa top redone at Autos International, Escondido, CA. They're in the phone book. I'm very pleased, though haven't had much opportunity to long-term test it. 'Round trip via UPS was just under two weeks, total price around $650, included painting, outer skin, headliner, numerous parts. Looks good, fits snugly, is quieter than the worn original. 'Still need to deal with the top front and side front seals for wind leaks, though. Good luck!
Jim Gerecke. gerecke@attitude.com

Quick Reply: Help - Targa Roof Rebuilder in Los Angeles Area