Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you know about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Rear windows were fixed in the 911SC. Last year for pop-outs was the 1977 911S.

Looks like highly faded anodized trim.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SC injectors are like open straws. They don't have valves per se. If fuel is dribbling, then it must be from the accumulator. But I'm not sure how that would cause a no-start. It would be good to pull the plugs and check them, and put a CIS pressure gauge set on there.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, if the car is warmed to operating temperature, it loses fuel pressure after shut off over the course of about an hour and will not restart. After another hour or so, it will restart roughly (sputtering for a second or two). PW thought it was the accumulator, and added a new one to it. He had it for much less than an hour and was able to restart it. Upon hearing it, he concluded it is probably an injector. I don't really understand the physics/mechanics involved though.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of those same Rial wheels collecting dust in my basement, but yours look much better as mine were used as track wheels for quite a while. I may have them refinished after seeing yours.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by smshirk
I have a set of those same Rial wheels collecting dust in my basement, but yours look much better as mine were used as track wheels for quite a while. I may have them refinished after seeing yours.
Post some pics if you do. I like Fuchs. Who doesn't? But I like having something a little different.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetick
Post some pics if you do. I like Fuchs. Who doesn't? But I like having something a little different.
There are pictures already online at http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_2396.jpg
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by smshirk
There are pictures already online at http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_2396.jpg
Of course. I was thinking installed.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

They still kind of remind me of these BBS wheels from 1987.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^those are very nice wheels. BBS, RS or RZ IIRC. There was a 3 piece as pictured, and a single piece that was identical in appearance minus the outer bolts.
Gotta love the "ice green" Dasher.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 AM
bluetick
Instructor

So my Momo Mod 07 was supposed to arrive today from Pelican. When I got home from work, it wasn't here. I just now tracked it. UPS says they left it on my porch at 11:04 am. My wife came home for lunch around 1 pm and there was no package.

Frustrating! I've never had a problem before with a package left for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the hood of the car?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:01 AM
bluetick
Instructor

I thought I'd revive this thread to provide an update on my 911SC. The last couple of months were busy with a lot of travel and various distractions and difficulties (including serious illness/death of an immediate family member nearly 800 miles away). In the meantime, out of perceived convenience, I made the mistake of taking the car to an independent mechanic about a tenth of a mile from my house. I figured I'd have them attach the chin spoiler, stop the oil leak (fuel pressure sending unit), see why the A/C blows lukewarm air, and see if they could figure out the issue with the CIS. They've been around since I was a college student, if not longer (in fact, they worked on a second generation GTI for me back in the late 80s). They always have something air-cooled in their shop. They've done good work several ties on my wife's problematic E39.

I figured the CIS would be something they could do. They put on the chin spoiler. They methodically started to slooooowly go through the CIS. They claimed to have fixed the A/C. They waited on the oil pressure sending unit and eventually replaced it. They continued to jack with the CIS.

Days became weeks. Weeks became a couple of months. While away from home and planning a funeral, I got an e-mail from Pat Williams. He had sent my speedometer off for repair and was notifying it was back. I sent him a reply explaining the circumstances with the shop near my home. He told me to get the car out of there and bring it to him.

In the midst of assisting me, I managed to break my original 32 year old key in one of the locks (lesson learned - always make sure you have the key all the way in the lock!) while parked at work. Pat came to the rescue and had me drive him to my office a few miles from his shop where he tired to get the broken key to work, etc. The next day, he arranged to remove the ignition, start the car, and take it to his shop to work on the CIS and get the key situation resolved. when it was all said an done, he did not charge me a single dime for the time he spent retrieving my car and dealing with the broken ignition.

It turns out that the CIS problem was a damaged o-ring in the fuel distributor. A replacement of the right size but wrong material fail soon afterwards (thanks ethanol!). Pat was able to rob the correct o-ring from another fuel distributor and get my car going.

I got the car in my hands last night, and drove it to work and elsewhere today. So far, no problems. My wife and I are debating taking it 1,500 miles round trip later this month to visit her mom in Texas. Also, there is a PCA DE scheduled at Memphis International Raceway later next month and I really hope I'm able to participate.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to come to Texas now? Today is our 36th consecutive day of triple digit weather and no relief in sight.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Andy says, don't come to Texas right now. It's hotter than Hades.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 PM
bluetick
Instructor

The forecasted high here for tomorrow is 103 degrees. I'm sure the humidity will be a lot higher here than in Boerne too!

Quick Reply: What do you know about these wheels?