Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you know about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you know about these wheels?

I am a Porsche noob contemplating the purchase of the car below. Purportedly, it is a RoW 1979 911SC purchased in Germany by a US serviceman, took a spin at some pint resulting in right rear damage to the fender and trailing arm (repaired), spent time as a race car owned and prepared by the second owner - pat williams of patwilliamsracing.com (cloth/vinlydriver's seat was botched a that time to allow for racing harness), and it later underwent a motor rebuild by patwilliamsracing about 20K miles ago (and suspension bushings were also replaced).

This car has roughly 200,000 miles on it now (although odometer is metric and I haven't done the math). The second gear syncros are a bit worn and the interior is a little rough, but the motor runs like a sewing machine imo. It is being offered at a fair but probably somewhat high price (around $16.5K). I can likely negotiate syncro repair into the purchase or offset the price accordingly

The paint is supposedly original except for respray associated with repairs. There is no evidence of rust, aside from a spot on the right front fender where the paint has chipped away.

The car had been sitting for awhile when I went to see/drive it a week ago. There was no evidence of any leaking below/beneath the car.

At the moment. I am curious about the wheels. The seller (3rd owner) says they have Porsche part numbers and are original to the car as far as he and Pat Williams could determine.

I ripped the following photo from the seller. Any insight regarding these wheels as well as other thoughts/input/suggestions would be appreciated.
(Also, patwilliamsracing.com has some fabulous track footage on youtube - I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but the videos are highly entertaining!)
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 AM
bluetick
Instructor

In the fwiw department, although it's hard to tell in the photo, the fasteners on the wheels are supposedly not stock (changed out for racing, and are a bit oxidized).
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

They could be MSW or maybe BBS Mahle alloys.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Thanks WPOZZZ. That was my initial thought too. But could MSW or BBS have been original to the car as equipped from the factory? The story I'm getting is that they evidently "came with the car".
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluetick
Thanks WPOZZZ. That was my initial thought too. But could MSW or BBS have been original to the car as equipped from the factory? The story I'm getting is that they evidently "came with the car".
Back in the day, dealers would offer other wheels as "upgrades" to Fuchs.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Back in the day, dealers would offer other wheels as "upgrades" to Fuchs.
That's where I figured this was going. I guess scare quotes around upgrade are used with good reason, although these fancy wheels are growing on me just a little.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Those look like the Mahle BBS wheels. Take one off - they are usually identified on the rear side.

And yes, back in the day - the BBS wheels were considered an upgrade to the fuchs - and rightly so - the BBS wheels (especially the 3 piece RS wheels) you could get in wider widths - AND they are lighter AND they were on the race cars of the time. The Fuchs do not cool the brakes very well when you are racing...

Great wheels - fairly light - but an absolute biotch to keep clean.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Those look like the Mahle BBS wheels. Take one off - they are usually identified on the rear side.

And yes, back in the day - the BBS wheels were considered an upgrade to the fuchs - and rightly so - the BBS wheels (especially the 3 piece RS wheels) you could get in wider widths - AND they are lighter AND they were on the race cars of the time. The Fuchs do not cool the brakes very well when you are racing...

Great wheels - fairly light - but an absolute biotch to keep clean.

Thanks. Interesting info indeed. I made the current owner and offer. maybe I'll be a 911 owner before too long.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look like RSR Turbo 934/935 clones
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
bluetick
Instructor

On another note, the current owner accepted my offer. Car
Is scheduled for syncro repair later next week. Looks like I'll be a 911 owner/driver by May!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Sorry Late to the party. i think that price is quite high for an SC in todays Market although 5 years ago i might have said reasonable. The car should be well sorted for that price as you can get mid condition Carreras for that money these days.
I would be really curious about a close up shot of front and back of those wheels. Although they may have left the dealer with them I am not so sure they left the factory with them

Last edited by theiceman; 04-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Sorry Late to the party. i think that price is quite high for an SC in todays Market although 5 years ago i might have said reasonable. The car should be well sorted for that price is you can get mid condition Carreras for thaat money these days.
I would be really curious about a close up shot of front and back of those wheels. Although they may have left the dealer with them I am not so sure they left the factory with them
I'm guessing the bid/ask was not that close.

BTW love the color. Good luck with it
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
bluetick
Instructor

<gulp> Y'all are raining on my parade. My offer was close - probably too close. The interior has its pros and cons and the paint is a 10 - 20 footer. Mechanically, the motor and suspension bits have been rebuilt/redone and I'm wild about the color. The lighting in the photo doesn't do it justice.

Hopefully my initial investment isn't too stupidly high. I'm getting it to drive and enjoy, not flip.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Did you do a PPI? One thing you should do first is get a front spoiler for the car. The factory cautions you if you put a rear spoiler, you need the front chin spoiler. Also, that is a Carrera rear spoiler on the car. If you want period correct, you'll need to look for a Weissach spoiler or an early non intercooled turbo tail.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Well if you are happy with what you payed and the seller is happy .. then it doesn't matter wjat us ***-hats think.
In my opinion the tail is fine . that tail did in fact come on SCs but not until 1982 i think , so i wouldn't worry about it. Is the same tail also found on Carreras of course which is the identicle body style.

Quick Reply: What do you know about these wheels?