911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you know about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:05 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Is it tactors or tractors? I am using a phone right now to post an it's a pita to try to find out. The floods and traffic rerouting have delayed the start of my meeting. I guess I'll start this post and finish it later if need be.

This morning the car started just fine at home. I drove very gently to a stop six miles away. Along the way, a guy in an Altima 2.5s speeds up out of a school zone, huge grin on his face, enthusiastic thumbs up and yells "Nice wheels!". Given the context. Indent think he meant te Rials.

I stopped for about 10 minutes, drove about twelve more miles to the office, and left the car for about an hour. Upon returning to it to go to a meeting, it would not start. I scrambled for a backup vehicle and left. It seemed like a fuel problem. The starter was doing it's thing but it would fire up. So I called Pat Williams for some guidance.

Meeting over. I need to drive back to the office. Sorry for any botched grammar and spelling. Typing on a phone + no time to proof.
Old 05-10-2011 | 02:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

very easy solution most likely. No frets. Give it a chance to start after a few attempts. Fuel pressure will bleed off and cause this is you have an aging fuel pump check valve or fuel accumalator.
If you do have to tow it, get it back over to PWR.
Don't sweat it...really easy. You may expect to have a lew issues to sort out as you press it back into daily service.
Let us know.
Old 05-10-2011 | 02:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Yes. It could be easily checked with the simple tools necessary. The rubber on the factory pedals will keep your feet from slipping off.

And it's about time for my annual reminder to check your distributor shaft for radial play, clean and lube the advance, and a drop of oil under the felt.
Old 05-10-2011 | 04:08 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Whalebird, thanks. The car started with a little sputter a few hours later.

I called Pat Williams on my way to that meeting. Y'all need to hear this story. Keep in mind I bought the car from the third owner. Pat was the second owner. When he answers the phone, it was obviously not the best time. He had his hands full with a customer and who knows what else. He managed to get the story out of me though (it started fine at home, drove basically to work, it sat for and hour, wouldn't start). He explained to me about ethanol boiling out and leaving behind air in the fuel line. He said to see if it starts when I return to the office. If so, call him back and he'd order an accumulator and throw it on their.

I emphasize it was a 32 year old car, it's going to need things, and I wasn't looking for something for nothing. He sort of cut me off and pointed out he drives one daily that is even older without any problems, that my car had been completely reliable, he's never had an issue and to his knowledge, the owner prior to me never had a problem as far as e knew, and that he was not going to it be a problem for me either. He said that he was going to make sure I don't get screwed in this deal.

The guy owes me nothing really, but his attitude towards me in this situation speaks volumes and I want everyone to know about it!

He gave me his cell number to follow up (I was driving/promptly forgot it!). Hopefully I can reach him at his shop soon to thank him again and get the accumulator rolling.

Rusnak, I'll have to research those to-do items.

Does anyone strongly agree or disagree with the pedal safety concern? I really like the way the clutch feels beneath my foot. I could go either way regarding the brake pedal. With those deep knurls, my feet feel secure on the pedals with the shoeS I have worn thus far. I had a vehicle once where the rubber pad on the brake pedal started to constantly pop off and resist going back on. The flat metal of the exposed pedal was smooth and noticeably slippery - an altogether different and seemingly dangerous feel. What say the rest of you?
Old 05-10-2011 | 11:51 PM
bart1
Race Car

Told ya Pat was good people...
Old 05-11-2011 | 12:15 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by bart1
Told ya Pat was good people...
Good people for sure!

On another note, when I followed up with him later, he asked me how the car was doing otherwise, how I was enjoying it. etc. I told I was basically loving it and it was running and driving great. I did inquire about the creaking and moaning and upgrading the bushings. He pretty firmly assured me that he would not do that. The bushings are in very good shape and you practically can't wear them out. he said if you shot a bullet into them it would bounce off! (I guess that would depend on the gun though)

He said he would instead add grease fittings to them if the noise really bothered me.

In conversation with him, it seems clear that he really like this car. A lot.
Old 05-11-2011 | 09:26 AM
bart1
Race Car

Thinking back, I think Pat may have shown me a pic of that car when he set up my suspension. He really liked my car and I remembered him having some green cars. One was a race car. Was that one driven by his daughter?

Maybe I can come up sometime and we can dscuss is over Redezvous...
Old 05-11-2011 | 10:47 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Thinking back, I think Pat may have shown me a pic of that car when he set up my suspension. He really liked my car and I remembered him having some green cars. One was a race car. Was that one driven by his daughter?

Maybe I can come up sometime and we can dscuss is over Redezvous...
He really loves and SC Euro Coup as he put it. Best motor. Best transmission.... I don't know if his daughter drove this one or not. As I recall the story from the seller (3rd owner), Pat tried for awhile and was finally able to get the car. At some point, he used it as a track car, then at some point took out some of the track equipment rebuilt the owner, etc. for sale several years ago.

Where in Alabama are you? If you drive over here to ponder it all over ribs at the 'vous, the beer is on me.
Old 05-11-2011 | 11:17 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by bluetick
He really loves and SC Euro Coup as he put it. Best motor. Best transmission.... I don't know if his daughter drove this one or not. As I recall the story from the seller (3rd owner), Pat tried for awhile and was finally able to get the car. At some point, he used it as a track car, then at some point took out some of the track equipment rebuilt the owner, etc. for sale several years ago.

Where in Alabama are you? If you drive over here to ponder it all over ribs at the 'vous, the beer is on me.
Hamilton, AL, but I work in Tupelo, MS.
Old 05-11-2011 | 12:35 PM
bluetick
Instructor

I find myself driving or riding through that part of US 78 from time to time for the occasional trip to Atlanta, Talladega, etc.
Old 05-11-2011 | 07:41 PM
bluetick
Instructor

I understand some of y'all like pictures. These are probably not terribly exciting. After cleaning the steering wheel, it looks....cleaner. It's still pretty grungy though and is not any easier on the eyes. Maybe a Momo Mod 07 or something would be better without breaking the bank?

The driver's seat has been sliced to accommodate a tracing harness. it also has other tears. The cloth on both front seats is faded. New upholstery seems expensive based on cursory research. Alternatively, I am considering Sparco R100 tuning seats. They look like a reasonable alternative in terms of cost, function and form. I'm still interested if anyone has any guidance about improving the seating situation for the best price.

Old 05-11-2011 | 10:03 PM
bart1
Race Car

I don't care for the wheel or ****. Yes, a Prototipo or Monte Carlo or Mod.07, depending on how much dish you want, would look better.

Those sport seats are pretty nice, maybe see what a re upholsterer can do. The R100 doesn't have as good support as a Pole Position, but you still can't tilt or recline. I would prefer Pole Position or Speed. I have Cobra Misanos in my car, but they are not cheap and are too modern for your car.
Old 05-12-2011 | 12:50 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Many folks would love ($$$) to have those sport seats. Take them to an upholsterer and have them patched/re-sown. I did that on sport seats in a 1970S. At the time it was 1/3 the price of all new upholstery. I like the wheel and shift ****. If you like them don't change things for us. It is your car and they are unique.
Old 05-12-2011 | 01:19 AM
bluetick
Instructor

I don't care for the wheel or ****. Yes, a Prototipo or Monte Carlo or Mod.07, depending on how much dish you want, would look better.

Those sport seats are pretty nice, maybe see what a re upholsterer can do. The R100 doesn't have as good support as a Pole Position, but you still can't tilt or recline. I would prefer Pole Position or Speed. I have Cobra Misanos in my car, but they are not cheap and are too modern for your car.
Thanks for the input. I can't tell too much about the dish deepness in the various steering wheel photos on Pelican, for example. I like the flatness of the Benetton wheel (and the circumference) but am not sure what less flamboyant Momo wheel compares. I know just want to replace it (and the ****) with a similar yet less colorful wheel (i.e. I like the fit but don't like the colors).

I figured the R100 does tilt/recline? It seemed to have the levers to do so. Anyway, my preference would be to preserve the sport seats if it isn't to pricey. Or maybe I should just live with them as-is for the time being. I guess a visit to an auto upholsterer is in order soon.
Old 05-12-2011 | 01:25 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpb111
Many folks would love ($$$) to have those sport seats. Take them to an upholsterer and have them patched/re-sown. I did that on sport seats in a 1970S. At the time it was 1/3 the price of all new upholstery. I like the wheel and shift ****. If you like them don't change things for us. It is your car and they are unique.
So make me an offer on the wheel and ****.

As for the seats... you and Bart have convinced me to be patient. I'll live with them for the time being and look into patching/recovering them.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: What do you know about these wheels?