Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you know about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was commenting about some sillyness of mine that got sent to parts unknown......

Stella Artois would be my favorite Belgian beer, and from the official chalis nowdays, no less. I like to mark a job well done with a Stella and Arturo.

Oh,what else.....the spoiler is super easy. Just start by lining up the outsides, then the middle. I have a much smaller American flag sticker. Need to find room for a Redline Tecknik sticker.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I was incorrectly grabbing the HTML code instead of the BB code or something. It took me a minute to figure it out. I'll probably forget once I sleep on it.

Anyway... I forgot to mention that we definitely have a winner regarding the wheels. Somewhere up-thread, someone (I can't recall who it was especially since I am new here), identified the wheels as Rials. Regardless of where or how they came to be on this car, Rials is correct.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25594320@N06/5705565689/
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll live longer if you decide not to give a $hit how the wheels got there.

Mainly because it doesn't matter.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:35 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Heh! I am sick of talking about the wheels. How 'bout the rest of you? Can one edit a thread's title?

But we might forget why we are here, in this particular thread, if the subject title were changed.

This little guy was hiding in plain sight this evening.

I'm pretty sure he said he prefers knock-off Fuchs to my wheels, but he appreciated me overpaying for his hiding spot. The photo also indicates the "10-20 footer" condition of the paint.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Dan et al, please forgive/ignore the broken concrete below the rust bucket in my driveway. There is a 70+ year old oak tree about a yard from my driveway in my neighbors tiny front yard. Roots from this monster oak are doing a number on my driveway, not to mention the foundation of my 101 year old house. Eventually, I'll have to bust out the old concrete and grind the roots before pouring a new concrete. In all likelihood, this will result in the death of the tree. Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't....

I got a big handful of additional photos. Does anyone want to see the motor? It's in there somewhere:

Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

That's a pretty 911. I'm liking the wheels now too. Great looking all around but definitely needs a front spoiler.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetick
Dan et al, please forgive/ignore the broken concrete below the rust bucket in my driveway. There is a 70+ year old oak tree about a yard from my driveway in my neighbors tiny front yard. Roots from this monster oak are doing a number on my driveway, not to mention the foundation of my 101 year old house. Eventually, I'll have to bust out the old concrete and grind the roots before pouring a new concrete. In all likelihood, this will result in the death of the tree. Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't....

I got a big handful of additional photos. Does anyone want to see the motor? It's in there somewhere:

Wouldn't your neighbor be liable for the damages from his tree? However, if you cut the roots and kill the tree, you are liable for the tree.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Wouldn't your neighbor be liable for the damages from his tree? However, if you cut the roots and kill the tree, you are liable for the tree.
Good question and comments. At one time, I was under the impression you've suggested. It is a murky topic.

According to one of my lawyers, as well as another lawyer friend, it comes down to something like this:

My neighbor has an obligation to maintain her trees and other plants. If the tree has dead limbs, etc., she should remove them. She might be found negligent if a dead limb falls and konks me in the head. OTOH, I can do what I need to do the portions of the tree that are on or directly impact my property. For instance, there are branches of this tree that grow above my roof and actually touch (damage) my roofing material during heavy winds. I can (and do) trim those branches away from my roof. Similarly, I can also trim/eliminate/grind, etc. the roots that are on my property. Just like I can trim her honeysuckle vines off my fence if I so desired. If the damage to the roots happens to kill her tree, evidently them's the breaks. And if her tree is dead, she could be found negligent if it resulted in damage to person or property.

Hopefully I don't ever end up in a civil lawsuit to prove or disprove any of this.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

The Rennlist always likes to see photos! It also will make a good documentary on what you have done to the car over time.

The engine looks nice from this side!

Rial is a very popular wheel manufacturer in Germany. Porsche wouldn't have equipped the car that way--in those days it was either cookie cutters (6&7s) or Fuchs. However, many German dealerships dealt with aftermarket wheels like Rial, BBS, Ronal, regularly. I hope that the car left Germany sooner than later.

I've been on top of things Porsche for a very long time. When the exchange rate against the Germany DM was favorable (like in 1985) many grey market cars made it to the USA. Grey market conversions were all the rage--do you have a couple of large fender washer looking things on the end of the door (usually silver in color) near the door latch? That indicates where they literally bolted in the side door beam to satisfy DOT. Hopefully, your baby got out of Germany early--even one winter can do a job on these things. Keep the pics coming!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The Rennlist always likes to see photos! It also will make a good documentary on what you have done to the car over time.

Rial is a very popular wheel manufacturer in Germany. Porsche wouldn't have equipped the car that way--in those days it was either cookie cutters (6&7s) or Fuchs. However, many German dealerships dealt with aftermarket wheels like Rial, BBS, Ronal, regularly. I hope that the car left Germany sooner than later.

I've been on top of things Porsche for a very long time. When the exchange rate against the Germany DM was favorable (like in 1985) many grey market cars made it to the USA. Grey market conversions were all the rage--do you have a couple of large fender washer looking things on the end of the door (usually silver in color) near the door latch? That indicates where they literally bolted in the side door beam to satisfy DOT. Hopefully, your baby got out of Germany early--even one winter can do a job on these things. Keep the pics coming!

Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to look for the presence of those fender washer looking things on the end of the door near the door latch.

How about a few peeks inside? Let's pull back some floor mat and have a look at part of the floor panel on the front passenger's side:

And the driver's side:

And another look at the foot controls:
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Tomorrow, I'll have to remember to look for the presence of those fender washer looking things on the end of the door near the door latch.

How about a few peeks inside? Let's pull back some floor mat and have a look at part of the floor panel on the front passenger's side:

And the driver's side:

And another look at the foot controls:

To me, in the photo it looks like the carpeting could interfere with the throttle pedal, but I think that is a bit of an illusion. The clutch pedal has a pronounced squeak when it is being engaged or disengaged. While it's probably inappropriate, I kinda like it and will leave it alone unless I learn it is hampering function or performance.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You should replace the rubber cleats that go on the clutch and brake pedals. That's a safety issue.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
You should replace the rubber cleats that go on the clutch and brake pedals. That's a safety issue.
Thanks.... Can you be more specific? I searched cleats at Pelican and came up with nada. Are you talking about the rubber covers that you typically find covering the exposed metal?

If we're talking about the same thing, why is it a safety issue? The surface on both those pedals is knurled and does not seem to be the least bit slippery.

Please let narrow this down for me. Lot's of stuff I do (riding a motorcycle - usually with a 3/4 helmet) is a compromise to safety. But if this is something critical or easily correctable....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tactors and Stella are two of my favorite things...

Keep in mind(with regards to Dan's input) that chrome was continued into the early SC models...it probably came on the car. Dan is an awesome contributor here, he's just sharing in the scrutiny that comes with posting here. We all get our chaffing and it's usually a good thing.
I like the car and think you made a fine purchase. A Euro car can be a real screamer when built right, and this one may have just been so. Don't look back on your purchase.
Hope you can find some higher ground.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by whalebird
Tactors and Stella are two of my favorite things...

Keep in mind(with regards to Dan's input) that chrome was continued into the early SC models...it probably came on the car. Dan is an awesome contributor here, he's just sharing in the scrutiny that comes with posting here. We all get our chaffing and it's usually a good thing.
I like the car and think you made a fine purchase. A Euro car can be a real screamer when built right, and this one may have just been so. Don't look back on your purchase.
Hope you can find some higher ground.
Posting from my phone waiting on a meeting to start. Trouble in paradise. For an instant this morning, I started to look back on my purchase when the car wouldn't start. This is a developing situtation. More later.

Fortunately, I am on reasonably high ground. A lot of folks around me aren't so fortunate. I understood where Dan was coming from and really did appreciate his scrutiny. As for the chrome, it's hard to tell in the photos, but I noticed last night that the chrome continues along the bottom edge of the rear slide glass - tapering off to a bit of a point towards the rear of the car. It looks to me like the mixture of chrome and no chrome around the windows was deliberate and probably original to this car. But wth do I know?

Quick Reply: What do you know about these wheels?