Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What do you know about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting stuff about the tail and (lack of) chin spoiler. Ideally, I'd prefer a "period correct" tail. I'd also prefer a period correct radio to the aftermarket Clarion that has been installed just a *wee* bit crookedly. Aesthetically, I'm probably partial to no tail as a general rule, although I'm not sure how this particular color would looked tailless.

Now I'm gonna be self-conscious about the tail! I'm afraid to price a Weissach spoiler. . . .
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Did you do a PPI?
The car is going to Pat Williams Racing next on the sellers nickel for the syncro repairs. I plan to have them do a PPI for me then. I don't expect any surprises. Pat Williams owned the car before me and did the last major work to it before selling it to the current owner. I'm confident the seller and I will be able to reach a mutually satisfying agreement if something unexpected is discovered.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Oh! And speaking of wheels! Did I mention the grimy Momo Benetton steering wheel (and matching shift ****). It really sets off that green exterior paint!

Name:  IMG_7201.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  103.7 KB

Hopefully the seller won't mind me ripping another one of his pics.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

yuk
anyone know what that blank spot to the left of thr heater controls is for ?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
yuk
I initially didn't believe it either, but isn't as yuk in person.

I'm series!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

cleaning it may help
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
bluetick
Instructor

cleaning it may help
Man, I hope so.

My wife just said it is teh ghey. And not in a good ghey way (as she patted her gay best friend on the shoulder while we sit in a bar imbibing).
Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

well she will be spending more time with her gay best friend once you get behind the wheel
Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetick
Oh! And speaking of wheels! Did I mention the grimy Momo Benetton steering wheel (and matching shift ****). It really sets off that green exterior paint!

Attachment 530531

Hopefully the seller won't mind me ripping another one of his pics.
That steering wheel is nasty dirty! Clean it and put on a nice Prototipo or something. The owner of one of these factory VWs might be interested in your wheel.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 AM
bluetick
Instructor

well she will be spending more time with her gay best friend once you get behind the wheel
Therein lies the plan.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 AM
bluetick
Instructor

That steering wheel is nasty dirty! Clean it and put on a nice Prototipo or something. The owner of one of these factory VWs might be interested in your wheel.

Cleaning it is definitely high on the "to do" list. Maybe enough VW Harlequin fanboys would drive the ebay bids enough to pay for the cost of a Protipo?

(Did I mention the interior is a little rough?)
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluetick
Cleaning it is definitely high on the "to do" list. Maybe enough VW Harlequin fanboys would drive the ebay bids enough to pay for the cost of a Protipo?

(Did I mention the interior is a little rough?)
I'd use some Leatherique Prestine clean on that or some other good leather cleaner for that wheel. I think it is cool, but it is not my style. However, I would say they are rare and something good to put aside as someone will pay $$$ for it some day. I actually used the Prototipo as a sort of "generic" term. I have 2 of them and the wheel is a little skinny. I like a wheel with a fatter grip so I love my old Momo Race Line. Just watch the Pelican classifieds as steering wheels pop up all the time.

What's wrong with the interior?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
bluetick
Instructor

I'd use some Leatherique Prestine clean on that or some other good leather cleaner for that wheel. I think it is cool, but it is not my style. However, I would say they are rare and something good to put aside as someone will pay $$$ for it some day. I actually used the Prototipo as a sort of "generic" term. I have 2 of them and the wheel is a little skinny. I like a wheel with a fatter grip so I love my old Momo Race Line. Just watch the Pelican classifieds as steering wheels pop up all the time.

What's wrong with the interior?
I'll have to give the Leatherigue Prestine a try. I'm not sure what sort of wheel I'd prefer. Actually that Momo felt good in my hands on my test drive. I've been riding a motorcycle for so long I've forgotten what it's like to drive a sports car. That's probably good advice about holding on to that wheel though. It may pay off someday.

As for the interior. I actually isn't too bad except for the seats. Suggestions, tips, recommendations etc. would be highly appreciated:

The vinyl is detaching a bit from the glove box door

The material on the inside of the sun visors is shot

The plastic air vent in the center of the dash is cracked/broken

Although carpet and mats seemed OK, some cocomats might be a nice little gift to myself

Upholstery on the vinly/cloth seats is very faded, but the rear seats are probably ok (they seem to prefer being folded down and were better shielded from the sun)

The driver's seat is functional but in awful cosmetic shape. The cloth was cut at the seem along the front upper back and slit across the rear upper back to accommodate a safety harness. The left side bolsters are worn and torn too.

Also, more importantly than the seats, there is a Blaupunkt microphone for a Dictaphone or something, but it doesn't seemed to be wired into any device. It is important that I be able to simultaneously shift, steer, and hold a mic to record conversations with myself, doncha know?

Last edited by bluetick; 04-22-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

You can repair the glove box yourself. Just remove the door and use some glue and clamp it.

Sun visors - Get new ones, take to an upholstery shop for a re-do, or look for some good used ones.

Plastic air vent - I ordered from Pelican last month and it was about $80

Seats - Check World Uph, GAHH.com, or Heritage Uph as they may have replacement covers.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
bluetick
Instructor

You can repair the glove box yourself. Just remove the door and use some glue and clamp it.

Sun visors - Get new ones, take to an upholstery shop for a re-do, or look for some good used ones.

Plastic air vent - I ordered from Pelican last month and it was about $80

Seats - Check World Uph, GAHH.com, or Heritage Uph as they may have replacement covers.

Thanks for the glove box tip. Hopefully the door isn't a pita to remove/reinstall.

I saw the vent at Pelican (and the $$ visors too). I've started to look around for some decent used visors.

Thanks for the seat tips too. I don't remember how bad the bolster damage was. Hopefully the foam is pretty much in place.

Quick Reply: What do you know about these wheels?