Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Check out the front speakers I found in my car. Unbelievable.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:13 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think audio is fun stuff. It's an easy way to get results in quality-of-ownership. The problem I have is that so many Porshe cars have been butchered in the quest for more sound?! That said, I find most car audio poor at best. The vintage stuff you describe rus is so nice compared to todays offerings. I have an Audio Control 2XS active crossover I intend to use with a single set of seperates, but that means two amps. A crossover, two amps, and the associated wiring is a big intrusion into any car (certainly a 911) but can sound wonderful. My rearranged priorities make an OK head unit (I have a mid grade Alpine about 5 years vintage...with three sets of pre-outs) and some OK speakers an attractive option.
I can't wait to assemble my components, but sheeeez...I gotta get the motor back in the Porsche first.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
I know. My wife said I got what I deserved. Heh.

Trem,
I saw that Alpine unit. Might be something to consider. I'm not looking for any major power at this point.

You guys are getting way over my head now with all this audiophile talk. Most of the time I don't even have the stereo on. Like rusnak, I enjoy the sound of the engine and my M&K.

I just want to get some better speakers for those times when I want to listen to some tunes.
I agree, at least for right now. That's why I like the speakers I linked, as well as many speakers out there. Easy upgrade for little money and big gains in the Sunday drive department.
It's kind of like tires. Even the bargain tires today are way better than the ones that came on a 911 originally. One might study these choices to hard.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

yeah i heard a small number of 911s were subcontracted to Mexico as they had to have some work for the dealer service shops afterward .. must be one of those cars
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Sure, I like the flat 6 as much as anyone, but as a GT car, you have to take it out on the road to enjoy it, and a nice sound system is part of the experience.

I'm not sure GT car and 911 are synonomous. A 911 is a sports car as a basic entity. Some lend themselves to GT work, particularly getting into late 80's, 964 and 993, leading to the water-cooled series.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For sure, everything has gotten ridiculously better, compared to the old days. My 911 was fairly butchered already with the rear seat delete and whatnot. The cables are hidden, but the hole cut for them is about 1.5" in diameter. There will be no going back to stock. It's got a separate fuse box, 10" sub, etc etc

Paul, I think 4 speakers is all you need. What I was talking about before is like comparing audio that you can hear, to audio that you become immersed in, can feel, and almost see and touch.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm not sure GT car and 911 are synonomous. A 911 is a sports car as a basic entity. Some lend themselves to GT work, particularly getting into late 80's, 964 and 993, leading to the water-cooled series.
I understand. I was meaning it as a sporty driver that you can take on a short trip. Not GT as in Petit Le Mans GT.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I understand. I was meaning it as a sporty driver that you can take on a short trip. Not GT as in Petit Le Mans GT.
I understood you. I just don't think an air-cooled 911 falls under the GT moniker. A 996, or 997 sure, but not so much on the air-cooleds. My 993 is a great car for a road trip, but it does lack some creature comforts. It's best suited to an interactive driving experience. Although with your addition of "short trip", these cars fit the bill. 2-3 hundred miles is probably ideal.

My 928 was indeed a GT car. The difference between that and either of my cars now was startling. I used to say, if I had to drive somewhere, the 928 was the car to take. If I just wanted to go drive, the 911 had it beat hands down. The 928 was a car I could, and did, drive for over 1000 miles in a day. Did it more than once. 1000 miles in a 911 in one day would have me crippled for life.

I agree that it is nice to have music or podcasts or whatever for long trips. Having something decent in the 993 is kind of nice, but I don't think the car is worthy of much sophistication in this category.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:16 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Youse guys are making me miss the stereo I let go in my '81 928

Alpine 7980 3-disc in-dash changer.... Preamp only
ADS PQ-20 70Wx4
Boston Acoustics Pro Series 5.2
Boston plates for doors
Alpine X-over
Orion 10" sub sharing the spare tire space

The A/D/S - Boston combo was very nice

All this is evidence of a mis-spent college career doing stereo installs to buy beer and audio gear.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's got to be some half decent speakers out there nowadays that blow away those LeBaron speakers for a reasonable cost. They'll be behind the grill so pick something that people swear by. Just don't let anyone else touch your car and install them yourself. Sorry for sending the thread south (of the border...Ha!) right off the bat...

Just don't buy that BS $400 wires they want to sell you too.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

1,000 miles in one day? Either you're crazy, or you could be kin. I guess for me, it depends on the road, the destination, and the passenger. I went 1,000 miles once to drive my GF's grandma to a family gathering, and the rented Ford Focus was a blessing, and surprisingly efficient as a land rocket. I don't like to drive any Porsche to the Bay Area because the freeways are terrible there. I rent a car or take the beater work truck, which gets barely two digit mpg.

What a fun thread. Glad to find so many A/D/S afficianados
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1,000 miles in one day? Either you're crazy, or you could be kin. I guess for me, it depends on the road, the destination, and the passenger. I went 1,000 miles once to drive my GF's grandma to a family gathering, and the rented Ford Focus was a blessing, and surprisingly efficient as a land rocket. I don't like to drive any Porsche to the Bay Area because the freeways are terrible there. I rent a car or take the beater work truck, which gets barely two digit mpg.

+1 I have no interest in taking a P-car into LA traffic. 20min's on an incline overpass trying to get on the 91 at 6:30 suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. DD for the straight long roads that are mixed with stop and go.

On a lighter note I was about 1 min off of seeing a minivan rearend a car and send it off of the road down a ravine right at the 91/71 interchange. Everyone was climbing back out of the ravine when I got there.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The first time was Scottsdale AZ to Dallas. Just picked up a perfect '91 928 with 28K on the odo. Was going to do it in 2 days, but had so much fun, I didn't stop. West Texas has (or had) great roads with a high basic speed limit, so the miles clicked by pretty fast. A V-8 Porsche can motor right along on the highway.

The next time was Dallas to N. Carolina with a bunch of 928's. 4 of us ran out front. For over an hour we took turns in the hills of TN leading-I never went under 130 for an hour, and hit 150 several times. I think we did 2400 miles and an all day car event in 4 days. Tail of the Dragon too.

I'm telling you, that is what a GT car is about. If I had more room and time, I'd like to get another 928. Or and Aston Martin (there, I'd probably need more money too).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

That whole scenario sounds awesome!

If you ask me, it's time to reconfigure Ruby for long distance runs (AC, sound proofing, road suspension), in the style of Ruf. Enjoy some true seat time. Call her Ruby II day.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
This probably sounds awesome on them
Forgot to mention that I completely LOL at that one!

Originally Posted by whalebird
Even the bargain tires today are way better than the ones that came on a 911 originally. One might study these choices to hard.
Isnt' that the truth. Being still relatively new to my 911 (1.5 years) I spend an inordinate amount of time on P-car forums researching everything - even things I'll never do to my car.

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah i heard a small number of 911s were subcontracted to Mexico as they had to have some work for the dealer service shops afterward .. must be one of those cars
Aye carumba.

Paul, I think 4 speakers is all you need. What I was talking about before is like comparing audio that you can hear, to audio that you become immersed in, can feel, and almost see and touch.
Understood. For this car, I'm sticking with the basics.

Originally Posted by Eharrison
There's got to be some half decent speakers out there nowadays that blow away those LeBaron speakers for a reasonable cost. They'll be behind the grill so pick something that people swear by. Just don't let anyone else touch your car and install them yourself. Sorry for sending the thread south (of the border...Ha!) right off the bat...
Pedro says this is just the place for you: http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

I decided to get a pair of Boston Acoustics SC55. Stock size. Should fit easily. I've always heard good things about BA and being originally from the northeast I knew a lot of folks who used them and liked them.

I'll be installing them myself when I put everything back together.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I cant believe you guys like the soundstream product. I was and authorized dealer for them back in the 90's. The sound quality was good but definitly not the best. I had more problems with there amps then I would like to say. If you really want to know what was one of the best amps back in the day it was Zapco.. I have put in and heard everything ( almost everything) and there is alot of good stuff out there but the elite is another thing.

Today I would say Focal, Diamond audio, and hybrid audio which is getting great reviews is some of the top stuff out there.

I would not hold on to speakers that are old for project in the future. You should use them now. They are like tires and all other rubber products. If they sit around and are not used they start to deteriate.
The glues go bad and the surrounds (rubber) go bad. They may look ok but once you start using them they fall apart.

Product is light years better than it was in the 90,s. Most probably have just never heard it or did not spend the money on it. The amps are cleaner, smaller, more efficient and better sound quality. So are the speakers.

I think some peaple have a system they had in there car when the were in high school and they think that was the best system since sliced bread. If you put that eqipment up against todays high end it would not have a chance, sound, durability, efficiency etc....

My opinion is that the system is as good as the designer and the installer. Too many shops reallly dont have someone who has been in the industry long enoeph to no good sound..

Quick Reply: Check out the front speakers I found in my car. Unbelievable.