Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Check out the front speakers I found in my car. Unbelievable.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out the front speakers I found in my car. Unbelievable.

The front speakers have always sounded kind of crappy to me since I got the car. I could see they were paper cones and I had plans to change them someday.

Well today I finally removed my passenger door panel to do a list of maintenance items this week: fix door lock, lube anything that moves, tighten anything that fastens, door stay reinforcement kit, and probably new front speakers.

No wait. Definitely new front speakers.

I could not believe that I found a set of AUDIOLATINA speakers in the car. Made in Mexico. OEM crappy speakers for Chrysler/Dodge! Seriously?!
What the hell was one of the POs thinking?

Time for some browsing on Crutchfield.com
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's so wrong with Mexican mang? My seester is mexican.......

Going from Mexican to Crutchfield....so that's 0.02% upgrade?

I've never upgraded sound systems since I was 21.... My upgrade would be a cat delete or straight pipes....
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buhwahahahaha!!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

My point was more that I found Chrysler/Dodge OEM speakers in my Porsche.
The fact that they are made in Mexico is just that, a fact. It says so right on the speaker.

What's wrong with Crutchfield? They carry many good quality speaker brands.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
What's wrong with Crutchfield? They carry many good quality speaker brands.
About the same as that mexican crap......

BUT I digress... I'd be pissed to that I just found some 88 LeBaron speakers in my car. but in all honesty, speakers count in the DD but not in the 911..... Heck I could have swore I blew out a speaker in the old 996 but didn't bother dealing with it since it was no biggie.... I turned on the radio when I got stick behind a slow car and that's about it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Too bad A/D/S went **** up, or I'd recommend a set of separates.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Too bad A/D/S went **** up, or I'd recommend a set of separates.
+1.... Best sounding speakers and amps I've ever laid my ears on.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
shadopadla
Advanced

I feel your pain. I hardly ever listen to the radio even with my 911 as my DD, but my aunt put in some random Soundstream head unit, the install shop left wires and ends hanging under the dash, and the rear speakers don't work at all, and the front ones short in and out.

Let us know what you go with and how they work, I'm certainly interested!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shadopadla
I feel your pain. I hardly ever listen to the radio even with my 911 as my DD, but my aunt put in some random Soundstream head unit, the install shop left wires and ends hanging under the dash, and the rear speakers don't work at all, and the front ones short in and out.

Your fronts doing the in/out thing is most likely caused by broken crossover units in the door pockets.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you like to know why your car has Mexican speakers? It's because Mexicans are known to have a small driver. No, seriously....the magnet is small, just like the OE speakers. When I went to put in new Blaupunkts in mine I discovered that all the modern drivers were too big for the pocket they sit in. I had the shop cut the back of the pocket but reuse the OE covers. Looks stock, sounds great, sucks that it had to be cut up. If you don't care about the stock covers than you need not be concerned about the pocket either.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

I've read quite a few posts regarding speakers over the past year. I'm not looking for any sort of audiophile quality system in this car, but I certainly want to get some speakers that are decent.

I think there are newer Kenwoods in the rear based on the symbol I can see throught the grills - I'll check that out later this evening.

I'm also not looking for a major project, so I'll most likely just use some stock sized 5 1/4" replacements. Not sure which ones yet... Maybe Kenwood Excelons, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, or maybe I'll even spring for Focal - I'll see. Everyone has their favorites on the forums - I want something half decent that won't cost an arm and leg.

I was just entertained yesterday by what I found.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shadopadla

Doug, that Soundstream would be some really high end kit.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
The front speakers have always sounded kind of crappy to me since I got the car. I could see they were paper cones and I had plans to change them someday.

Well today I finally removed my passenger door panel to do a list of maintenance items this week: fix door lock, lube anything that moves, tighten anything that fastens, door stay reinforcement kit, and probably new front speakers.

No wait. Definitely new front speakers.

I could not believe that I found a set of AUDIOLATINA speakers in the car. Made in Mexico. OEM crappy speakers for Chrysler/Dodge! Seriously?!
What the hell was one of the POs thinking?

Time for some browsing on Crutchfield.com
Sorry, but I see more right (HEAVY magnet, lightweight paper cones.) than wrong (country of origin..??) with those speakers.

You "may" get lucky at Crutchfield, speakers made in Mexico, or China, but not labelled so.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
shadopadla
Advanced

Thanks Scott I'll check those out. Not sure if Soundstream is good or not... I've never heard of it before... was assuming it was fairly generic since the install looks like it was poorly done.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

My intention was not to have a pro/con about Mexican speakers.
I only said "Made in Mexico" because they were.... I have nothing against Mexicans (well, at least the legal ones). Somebody has to cut the grass around here. <kidding>

I should have left out the Mexican part. My point was more about the fact that in my high end German sportscar, I discovered OEM speakers from Chrysler.

I'm sure the name brands that Crutchfield, Amazon, Best Buy, or any local audio shop carry are made all over the world. I'm also sure if I get a good name brand the quality and improvement in sound will be way better than the 20 year old speakers I just removed.

Quick Reply: Check out the front speakers I found in my car. Unbelievable.