spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 498 Posts

Very nice seats!!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my paintjob is running behind schedule. Part of the deal with pricing I got with the painter was that other insurance jobs took precedence so unfortuantely we are 3 weeks behind schedule now. I'm now aiming for end of next week to be completed... fingers crossed.

Went to check out the car yesterday and this is what it looks like (Not that different):

Painter gave me an interesting option with paint. He suggested going the R34GTR midnight purple colour. It would look black during the night and a deep shade of purple in light but after a whole night of thinking about it, decided I want to stay with the solid aubergine colour. Keep it more original especially as it's not a complete in and out repaint. He ordered the paint for me and it came in a little redder than I hoped so he's going to tint it darker to get it closer to what's on the car now.

On other news, goodies I bought for the car arrived. Can't wait to install these on Barney

Suede Momo mod 07 w/ momo hub

Focal speakers to replace my 36 year old stockies. These were the only ones that didn't look so bling. Surprising how hard it is to find a pair with just black mesh

Cassette was stuck in my existing blaupunkt so decided to replace it with a 90's CD player with AUX out. Didn't want one of typical sony xplods with crazy equalizer graphics. Seen a few and to me it doesn't look quite right in our cars

Bought a pair of heat exchangers to replace my now rusted through ones. SSI's would have been epic but at $1k, i decided to go the much cheaper used but good condition stockies

Lastly purchased set of new tires (Goodyear Eagle GT) for my stock 15" fuchs. Will be using this for the road trip down to LA to ship the car home.

Next up, will be cutting my own door cards as the ones on the car now are warped from all moisture build up over the years...

Last edited by privatepang; 06-06-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Epic thread, thanks for sharing the journey with us, you have good taste! Love those seats!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Talk to Bob at www.appbiz.com about the door cards. Tell him some guy named Doug from Rancho Cucamonga sent you. You can thank me later.

<------- See Avatar
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Thanks Amber but i've decided to make my own. Read up about appbiz and their stuff looks great but rather spend the $$ elsewhere.

New MDF boards at $2 a piece will do til I decide i have less pressing items to spend my $$ on.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by privatepang
Also does anyone know if its standard not to have a mirror on the passenger side? I only just noticed that mine didnt come with one and neither does that blue one above?
Porsche didn't really start regularly putting right mirrors on until around 1978.
Long live Aubergine!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Went to check out the car last friday and theres been some progress. Supply of paint has come back and I'm happy with the shade that the painter was able to get. Originally, he painted my engine lid and the purple came out too reddish so sent it back and got it tinted darker to look more like the original colour.

This is the final paint colour:

Car has now been completely sanded down

Any grey parts is where the painter cut out any rust and welded in new metal.

Called today and have been advised that car has been completely painted now. They are assembling it back together so hopefully pick it up in 2 days or so! Super excited to get it back after 4 months off the road!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I would pull the glass out... you won't regret taking the extra miles.

Looking great! thanks for the updates....
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Yeah I noticed the glass too. The first place people look when checking for a respray. Money well spent on glass rubber.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Love your car!

You have inspired me to lower mine, as soon as I figure out what the max 16' tire size is with those rims...
Attached Images  

Last edited by MillenniumFalcon; 07-05-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Thanks for the comments guys.

Went to check out the car in the paintbooth last night. Super happy with the colour(glad i didn't go with the midnight purple). Came out better than expected. Its hard to get the right shade of purple as you don't want it to be too red. I won't know for sure til its in the sun but in the booth it looked great! All up, we got 7 coats including clear and paint. Would have loved to do glass out but my budget didn't allow for it . Masking was done really well. Just stoked that my car is all one colour now rather than the matt finish on one side and gloss on the other lol. Been a long 4 months but assembly is happening today and I hope to get it back tonight or monday. Needs a final cut and polish to get rid of any imperfections.

Piccies:

Will have to do a before and after shot when I get it back

Last edited by privatepang; 07-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I dig the color. Nice job.

What import scene did you come from?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Long live Aubergine!
One of the first 911's I ever drove was a '78 SC in Aubergine over tan. Maybe one of the finest colors for a 911 ever.

Thanks for the updated pics. Can't wait to see her all done!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Originally Posted by voodoo
I dig the color. Nice job.

What import scene did you come from?
JDM scene in australia. Owned my fair share of rice boxes but i've seen the light now

Originally Posted by Jay H
One of the first 911's I ever drove was a '78 SC in Aubergine over tan. Maybe one of the finest colors for a 911 ever.

Thanks for the updated pics. Can't wait to see her all done!
Makes the 2 of us!

Quick Reply: 1975 911S - Barney