Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Glue for whale tail rubber lip

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue for whale tail rubber lip

I bought a factory Porsche turbo tail and the rubber lip is starting to partially detach by pulling the bolt from within the rubber at the front drivers side. There is flex up and down but not horizonal and the gap is maybe 8mm. Because this is a street driver in L.A. (non show car and under 80mph) I think a glue job may work with glue fill in from the rubber to the fiberglass. Any tips on what glue to use?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i had to glue the seal on the bottom of the tail. against the body. I used 3m heayduty weatherstip adhesive ... man that stuff is good ...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Generally if you have separation like that, it if from more than just one stud, it could be several that are bad. I have seen where the bolts had caused a much larger hole in the black foam part of the spoilers, that some of the studs sticking through the base, but were not really even embedded into the rubber part any longer. I was able to get great results from using one of my many different types of epoxy kits. The one that I used on this particular item, is almost identical to the composite filler needed on the newer "soft" bumper covers on a lot of the mew cars. After taking it apart, give a close check to all studs that are in the rubber wing part. Make sure that the stud you are wanting to repair, the hole in the wing needs to be prepped, cleaned, all loose crap removed, then try dry-fitting to make sure you see how you like it. Then mix up a small amount and fill in anyplace the stud had damaged its mounting area. Then use the filler to fill all the way around the stud after you have it in place. This epoxy cures in about 10 min. then start on another one. If you need any other info on this, PM or email me and I will get back with you ASAP.Good luck!! Tony.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I did search. To the poster above, if you're still around, what type of epoxy did you use to fix the rubber? Mine is detaching from the metal as well as the OP.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

The metal insert is most likely rusted out. This thread will show what you're up against and a good fix. It's a 7 year old post but as good now as it was then.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

Quick Reply: Glue for whale tail rubber lip