New to Forum need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
TxCoyote
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum need opinions

Hello to my future friends,

I just acquired an 83 911SC as a partial trade for my Boxster. It has a blown motor but is otherwise in good shape with lots of $$ having been put into it. In deciding what to do with it I have come up with three options in order of appeal to me but I would like opinions:
  • Repair/Replace Motor and turn the car into a full time race car
  • Repair/Replace the Motor and keep it as a Street Car
  • Flip it and make a few $$

Your thoughts?

The motor is repairable but the crankcase broke at the distributor housing when it came apart. It has a fair number of miles on it so a complete rebuild or replacement would be in order. What are the best options here? Budget is an issue within reason. I could build the motor myself but have never built a Porsche Motor and haven't done any motor in years. I have a large Garage with a 2 post lift and lots of tools so I can get at it pretty easy. All the used motors I see advertised are not warrantied and are very pricey and I have heard horror stories about the low end rebuilders like Motor Meister. My local resource told me $10k to do it but I would like to get to around $6-7k.

So, what y'all think?

Sincerely,
Russ
Brunton SuoerStalker Lotus 7 Replica
2011 VW GTi
1983 Porsche 911SC Targa
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Russ; welcome to the club! You will get a lot of help from this group and good advice. I'm in the middle of doing a top-end rebuild with tweaks on my 85 3.2. The machine shop charges alone are worth $3500 from a proven shop. I will be doing most of the work myself (and friends) otherwise the cost is expected to grow to about 6K. that figure is for top end work alone. the figure you've been given of 10 K. for a complete rebuild is not out of the question. I've had friends spend as much as 13 K with tweaks. that's in the Chicago area, other areas may be more or less based on the cost of living.

This topics been discussed before. Try using the search tools that the forum provides. Several knowledgeable members names will appear and I'm sure you could private message them for their qualified opinions. Good luck, Chuck
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so.

10k without any broke major componets and you have a broken case.

If the rest of it is really nice I would replace the motor and keep it a street car.

If you don't like you will likely have an easier time selling a street car vs. race car.

If you have nothing better with tens of thousands of dollars but to **** it down the drian by all means build a race care.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
TxCoyote
4th Gear

Thanks for your feedback. It is a solid car but won't be mistaken for concours. As I am slowly becoming a racing addict I thought it might be a good alternative to my 7. The 1st question is the motor. I'd rather spend for a known quantity via a rebuild but $10k is a big chunk of $. What can/should I expect for that in terms of HP, tweaks, reliability and warranty? Who are the best builders? Should i tackle the assembly myself? If you recommend a builder, why them?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov

If you have nothing better with tens of thousands of dollars but to **** it down the drian by all means build a race care.
Racers don't see it quite that way.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Check out this engine: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...otor-sale.html
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by dave morris
Racers don't see it quite that way.
Oh yeah, I have been a racer, I have spent a geat deal of time around racers, and I don't know that many that don't understand, even after a short time, how much of a money black hole racing is. It will take everything you have and then some.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by TxCoyote
Thanks for your feedback. It is a solid car but won't be mistaken for concours. As I am slowly becoming a racing addict I thought it might be a good alternative to my 7. The 1st question is the motor. I'd rather spend for a known quantity via a rebuild but $10k is a big chunk of $. What can/should I expect for that in terms of HP, tweaks, reliability and warranty? Who are the best builders? Should i tackle the assembly myself? If you recommend a builder, why them?
There are only a couple good Porsche flat six builders around. I can't think of the guy on the east coast off the top of my head. However, that seems to be the direction I get pointed often. My engine was done at Paul Weir's shop. Very strange guy but has a ton of experience.

I guess If I was starting with a clean slate I would do a 964 3.6 engine, and if budget allowed some 102mm Nickies, big valve mild port and polish heads, a cam bump, chip and an exhaust sytem which should get you close to 300hp NA.

A 911 engine is somewhat complicated and builds unlike anything else out there. You will have to be the type that is very meticulous and check and rechecks and checks again just to be sure. There are a certian amount of special tools and suplies needed, but it's not beyond someone which some good mechanical experience, patients, and aptitude.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

We've got some good builders in the Dallas area. Mayo Performance is well known and should be considered.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 PM
futurefun
AutoX

Another option would be to find a used motor.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

We have a 1983 SC and they are great cars. However, I sometimes see a running SC for $12,000 or so. If you get in over $15,000 you may get upside down. I sold a 1982 without engine and tranny to some guys that wanted it for a 3.2 conversion.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I built mine. I spent $10k the first go, but I didn't scrimp, other than reusing pistons and cylinders. I spent another $8 or 9 putting in the cylinders and pistons I shoulda the first time. It ran both times.

Personally, I felt rebuilding was the known quantity vs buying a used one.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM
TxCoyote
4th Gear

Thanks for all the help and ideas, keep it coming. Right now I think I'll tackle the rebuild myself unless I can find a deal on a good motor somewhere. Looking closely at the car I don't think it would be a good investment to make it a street car. I like the thought of a street (barely) legal race car. It is mechanically strong other than the motor, but cosmetically mediocre. And Makmov the cost of racing is well the cost of racing.

Quick Reply: New to Forum need opinions