Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Outdoor car cover yay/nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Hmm
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outdoor car cover yay/nay?

Construction of the garage at my place will probably take place as soon as the weather warms here in New England.

Until then I need to park my newly acquired black '86 in the driveway. The car is a solid 10 footer with 150K on the odometer.

My concerns are the impact of sun on the interior and snow/rain on the exterior.

I am hoping a good cover will address these issues. I know that covers can damage the paint when grains of sand inevitably get in. However, the paint while still decent has seen its better days. Could a cover really do more damage than it will prevent? What about first pulling a clean fitted sheet onto the car and then the cover over it? That way I can easily wash and rotate sheets. Dumb idea or of some merit?

Does anyone have any experience with outdoor covers. Woulod especially like a recomendation if you have one that has worked well for you.

P.S. When I picked up the car, the PO was using Castrol GTX 10w40. However, it seems like every post on the forum I have read mentions using 20w50. Would appreciate some advice. I am not going to ask about brand as that appears to be a bone of contention.

I assume the oil issue is addresed in one of the numerous books I have ordered, but they are still in the mail. Until they arrive some advice would be helpful.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been you are better off not using an outdoor cover unless you take it off and clean the car every few days. The cover holds in moisture causing a plethora of issues if left on for more than a few days.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 249 Posts

Been using outdoor covers for many years. Key points are:
1. Use it to protect your exterior and interior from the effects of the sun (fading, drying out, and deterioration)
2. Don't use it as a moisture shield...in other words if it is going to rain, take it off because your car will suffer more fromt the moisture being held in the cover longer. If you don't get the cover off during rain, then remove it as soon as possible after the rain stops and let the car and cover dry out seperately.
3. Shake out your cover frequently and wash it as well to remove dirt or other crap to prevent it from scratching your car due to the wind constantly causing the cover to rub on your car.
4. Keep a car safe cleaning solution and paper towels in the car to clean off your car cover from bird droppings and sap rather than folding the cover on itself when you remove it and spreading that junk around making your cover dirty.

I use the Porsche cover from the dealership. I have used 20W50 exclusively.

I'm sure there are more good tips and others will chime in.

Enjoy...
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good points.
for winter ourdoor storage, I keep a car on a solid, dry surface (concrete), use a thick breathable cover that fits the car, then a tarp-type waterproof cover over that. whenever it is warm & sunny, & right after a rain or snow fall, I remove all & let it breathe - also moving it to burn the moisture out of the conrete driveway (there always seems to be oil there anyway). one concern is abrasion against the paint due to high winds... the cars I store outdoors (usually) already need a paint job. however, I think a thick layer of caranuba wax might help protect the surface (?).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd just get some interior window protectors, and stay away from the cover, unless I lived in a place with little moisture.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered the 3 sided portable garage? Looks like a pop up tent with one end open. In Phoenix, I stored mine at a resort during construction at my house. Free and secure underground parking.

I only use 20W-50.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Hmm
AutoX

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize moisture was an issue with the cover. Maybe the window protectors are the way to go.

The 3 sided pop up garage sounds intriguing. I assume I could combo that with an interior cover and be all set against all the elements? Do they secure to the driveway somehow to prevent the wind from blowing them into the car?

Do you know of any good quality ones with a low profile. (I don't want an eye-sore for the neighbors.)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with everything said above. My friend put a cover on his 911 outside and let it get wet a few to many times and his entire car was covered in mold and the paint bubbled. Use it to protect from sun, but take it off if you can in the rain.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
ricster
Banned

Personally I would rent a garage at the local storage facility. $100 bucks a month until you can get your garage built. Money well spent in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would second both Ed's and Andy's suggestions. Either use just the window covers or fabricate some sort of portable garage. A car cover outside will hold in moisture and abrade whatever it's covering due to dust and dirt that inevitably gets under it.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ricster
Personally I would rent a garage at the local storage facility. $100 bucks a month until you can get your garage built. Money well spent in my opinion.
+1, you can also rent private garages on Craigslist for low $$$ too.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on renting a garage like U-Haul but I thought he wanted to drive it on a daily basis. I stored my in covered parking at a resort when I had construction at the house.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Hmm
AutoX

That is the issue 79 Euro. I do want to keep it around to drive on a whim.

Right now, I am leaning heavily towards 15 coats of wax and some window shields. I can't imagine some rain/snow/sun/dust would do any harm besides forcing me to wash and wax more often. Right?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I can't imagine some rain/snow/sun/dust would do any harm"

wrong (imo). it is a matter of the type & extent of damage & in/on what parts of the car. it also influences how you "maintain" the style of storage you've chosen (attention to storage maint even includes inside storage). get lotsa rubber dressing & protectant for all exposed rubber & vinyl if you simply cover the glass from the inside & leave the exterior exposed. & moisture accumulation remains an issue whether a car stored outdoors is covered or not. severe storms & snow melt can drive the wet into a car in amazing ways (strange things can happen when a car is parked on a grade for extended periods of exposure, too). good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have an extra OEM cover I can sell you

Non Rear Spoiler version
Perfect fit in very good shape
I am near Boston - Metro West
I say cover that bad boy and put in some desiccant bags to absorb any interior moisture

pm me if interested

Quick Reply: Outdoor car cover yay/nay?