Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PPI recourse

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
TRG1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PPI will only lessen the purchase risk, not eliminate it entirely. A good mechanic may miss an item, but should not miss the big ticket items which would put the new purchaser totally upside down in the car after needed repairs.
Also, ask the mechanic to let you observe the entire inspection and ask questions.
Don't fall for the line about " insurance regulations prohibit customers in the garage". If the mechanic won't let you watch and ask questions, choose another mechanic to perform the inspection. Be prepared to spend up to half a day in the process, even if you don't buy the car, the maintenance tutorial should be of value.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 AM
michael lang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRG, that's a good point about going into the shop. As a service provider, I have no problem allowing my clients to go into the shop to see what's what with their car and every Spring & Fall we have service clinics where the vehicle owner will spend about 30-45 mins one on one with the tech while the tech performs a safety inspection. It's good for clients being able to talk directly with the guy doing the work on their car.
As far as any recourse, I'd say there is probably next to none. Is it without a doubt that the problem even existed when the vehicle was inspected. It's unfortunate, the only way to minimize the risks in my opinion, is to take your time and find a tech that will give you a quality inspection. Best of luck to you in your search.

Quick Reply: PPI recourse