Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil level gauge not working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil level gauge not working!

My newly purchased 1988 911 cab has a non working oil level gauge (the one that shares the fuel level guage) Is there an item like a "sender" I should have checked out. Anybody out there have a similar problem and had it fixed please help. THANKS in advance
Old 03-09-2003, 02:04 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doc.
The oil level sender is located in the passenger side rear wheel well. Check the wire connections to make sure all are making a good connection (sometimes, due to the location, they become covered with junk and can even become loose). If it still does not work, it is not a very hard job to replace and the part is about $60.00. If you do the job yourself, make sure you replace the gasket as well.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Jim
'86 911
Old 03-09-2003, 07:54 PM
StanV
Instructor

You mention the car is new to you; I've had my '82SC for only a couple of years, and when it was "new to me" I would have fixed the problem you have. Now I'm not so sure, as the only oil level that counts is measured with the dipstick in the oil tank.
Having said that, there is one good reason to fix it: these are old cars, and things like this will go wrong. I pay attention to all these non-critical details because nothing is sadder than a classic that has been let go.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:13 AM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Fix it! It's an 88' Cab. Can't have broken gauges in that.... StanV is right, only check your oil with the dip stick.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

It's possible that the gauge does work but the oil level is low enough that it never registers. I'd recommend first going through the drill to check the oil level: drive the car until it's fully warmed up, park it on a level surface, let it idle for a couple of minutes, then check the level with the dipstick in the oil tank. The correct level is halfway between the marks, or higher, as long as it's not over the top mark. As a new owner, you'll find that the gauge is notoriously unreliable, to the point of being useless. When you're at the correct level, the gauge will be all over the place as you drive.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Dr. Chris, sorry, just re-read your post - you probably already know this as an experienced owner.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 PM
bones
Instructor

It's still worth repeating though . The dipstick is the final gauge of how 'correct' the oil level is.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:34 AM
epigram79
AutoX

As Dave Thomas said and I'll repeat. I have an '86 carrera and when my oil level is at the correct level (according to my dip stick) the gauge fluctuates a lot while driving. I just bought this car recently and was told the gauge doesn't work. When I did an oil change I found out that it does infact work, just isn't accurate!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If read properly, I've always found the gauge is a good indicator. Not necessarily of how much oil is in the tank, but of whether or not it's time to check the stick! For that reason I'd be sure to get it fixed.

I also had to replace the sending unit on my '88 coupe. It was an easy fix. OK, I confess, my mechanic did it... He showed me the part that was worn and why it wears. Very simple.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:11 AM
jet911
Pro

Doc.
It's a cheap fix. As stated by many, the correct way to check and ensure proper oil level is as outlined above as you are probably aware, however the level gauge is a good "indication" for the amount of oil in the tank. Besides, don't you want all gauges working? I do - after all it's a Porsche....

Regards,
Jim
'86 911
Old 03-12-2003, 05:39 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Doc,

The guys have said it all - the difference between zero and full on the gauge is only about 1.5 Ltrs so check oil level on dip. If the gauge needle "flicks" this is a sign that the reostat on the sender unit is badly worn - usually the neeedle flicks to max reading as if shorting out. Sender unit replacement IS an easy job but be careful the wiring is delicate.

Peter
Old 03-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

The oil level gauge was working after all! After a long trip home after purchasing her I guess it was a little low on oil . It took about 2 qts. to bring it half way up the dipstick(between the marks)and now the gauge is working great. I will check the level more often as my primary source and if the gauge zeroes out again soon then I might have an oil consumption problem to look into. THANKS for all the help
Old 03-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Club Sport 911
AutoX

I had this trouble on my '88 Club sport (euro). Fitted a new OE porsche sender. The trick to the gauge is that I've found it very accurate w.r.t. the dip stick if:-

1) Oil is warm
2) you are on level ground
3) You are idling

- i.e. as per Porsche manual.

Any other conditions and the gauge reads wrong - ignore it on the move.

Steve
Old 03-28-2003, 04:05 PM
an6drew
Instructor

My gauge / sender quit working after a valve adjustment/ oil change. The gauge is now pegged @ around 3/4 up the white region when the car is on. I'm assuming I need a new sender- could refilling the oil have damaged the 'float' or something?

thanks
Andrew
Old 03-28-2003, 08:23 PM
nut11
Intermediate

Once the engine is warmed up, the gauge actually works. During warmup, it flikers but does eventually come to what it is supposed to do. However, like all have noted, the eye ball oil level check is the only way to sleep easy at night.

85 Carrera and I love her!

Quick Reply: Oil level gauge not working!