Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan under passenger floor board?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:56 AM
DandyD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fan under passenger floor board?

I was tracking down a battery drain problem and found a hot wire coming directly off the battery (not going through the fuse panel) going to an electric fan that is mounted under the passenger floor board. I was not able to trace the other wire to a switch or relay. Can someone tell me what that fan is and why it might be hot wired to the battery? There is an in-line fuse, but that is it and it puts a draw on the battery when ignition is off.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 01:11 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess? I think you have two auxillary fans for the heating system up front. One on each side. I think they come on when you pull up the red levers between the seats (they should go off when pushed back toward the floor). Maybe a bad switch that's not turning one/both off. I'll check and see if mine run without the ignition on. Read the heating posts of a few days ago in this forum.

Can't think of any other fan up front?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Typical Fish
Advanced

From your description, I believe it is an auxiliary heating fan; it should come on when you twist the **** just behind the red levers between the seats. The switch in the levers actually activates the ENGINE COMPARTMENT fan and provides baseline air flow.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:35 PM
quicksilver
Advanced

Question

Is it under the board directly under your feet or is it on the right side behind the kick panel in front of the door?

There is a blower on either side that hooks into the duct coming through the rocker panels from the back and that is what the previous posts are talking about. If it is directly under the passengers feet then that is something different. That would be someone's "custom" addition.

Wayne
Old 12-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Typical Fish
Advanced

I agree with Wayne; I misread the post. Under the floorboard? Odd.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:09 AM
tchanson
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Typical Fish:
<strong>From your description, I believe it is an auxiliary heating fan; it should come on when you twist the **** just behind the red levers between the seats. The switch in the levers actually activates the ENGINE COMPARTMENT fan and provides baseline air flow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But just to clarify, they are interdependent, i.e. turning the rotary **** between the seats will not activate the auxilliary footwell blowers unless at least one of the red levers has been raised to switch on the main blower at the engine first.

I agree that any fan under passenger floor board, instead of behind the curved kick panel on the right side of the passenger footwell, sounds very odd.

Tim
Old 12-27-2002, 02:53 PM
DandyD
Track Day

It is directly under (or in front) of the passengers feet, not in the kick panel. I can access the fan when I remove the wooden floor board panel on the passenger's side. I do not have the heater type with the levers between the seats. There is only a **** that does turn on the rear engine fan, but not the floor board fan... But I get NO heat! Hummmmmm???

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:18 PM
john brasfield
Intermediate

Sounds like it may be an aux. fan for the fresh air recirculation going to the AC evaporator. If it is not stock, someone may have added it.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MY guess, if the fan is NOT a factory part, or it doesn't look like a factory install...

...is that the previous owner had an aftermarket, maybe even the factory 4-channel amplifier under there and was worried about it getting too hot??

That's just a guess, if you could snap a picture of it, and post - that would be helpful.

Quick Reply: Fan under passenger floor board?