Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Simple Theft Deterrent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:56 PM
mm86911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple Theft Deterrent?

Any recommendations for wiring a switch to the ignition/starter system to prevent the car from starting. Maybe something simple that prevents current to the coil - so the starter turns but engine won't fire if not "on" (minimizing modifications to the wiring harness on an '86 911)?
Old 06-18-2001, 09:06 AM
Paul H
Advanced

You could instal an additional starter relay in the starter wiring, but why not do some thing similar in the fuel pump supply? The installation is easier and you are interupting less current, so you can use a small relay.

Our local Porsche magazine ran an article explaining how to instal an automatic fuel shut-off switch that shuts the pump down if you have a collision. You could instal the fuel shut-off impact switch and a relay at the same time.

Of course if someone really wants your car, they're going to get it...
Old 06-18-2001, 11:38 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

You can use the factory contact to shut down the complete DME unit.
You also can us a relay in the starterline to cut out the starter.
Its all in the wirelooms.

Grüsse
Old 06-18-2001, 02:14 PM
JHW
3rd Gear

I did something similar to the "coil switch idea" in my '71 911. My goal was to make my car die on command to get someone to a surprise birthday party.

I simply disconnected the ground wire from the coil and ran a long wire into the cabin. I didn't have a switch so I just cut the wire and twisted it back together. The end was connected to one of the seat bolts on the left side.

My ultimate goal is to put a switch on the fuel pump AND the fuel tank sender.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:33 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pelican Parts has a tech article on this:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ion_cutoff.htm

Don
Old 06-24-2001, 09:19 AM
bds1
Advanced

I think the best , but not safest way is to allow the car to be stolen but only run for 1-2 minutes. Just imagine the guy just pulls out of p-lot, garage etc and the car dies in the middle of the road! Now the flip-side is the danger of stalling in traffic.

I have a CLifford system, awkward but seems to work. IF you put an additional realy in series with the f-pump be sure the contacts are rated for motor current (dc like to arc)
Old 06-24-2001, 10:59 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

My 250# rottweiler does the trick, but he is a picky beer drinker. He only likes Celebrator Dopplebock, it's hard to find and expensive.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:11 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a non-electrical solution. One of the young mechanics at the place where I have my 911 serviced recently installed a momo quick release steering wheel on his 944 turbo. The wheel looks great and comes off in 3 seconds (press in, pull off). You can take the wheel with you (inside, if at home), in brief case, back pack, hide it in the car's trunk, etc.

Most car thieves are not running around with spare steering wheels, and when the thief peeks in the window and sees no steering wheel, it's time for him to look elsewhere.

Richard
Old 06-29-2001, 02:18 AM
vaughan
7th Gear

Lightbulb

Have very good insurance policy covering
the 'replacement' value of your car. And
of course, never cast your pearls before
swine.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:36 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I think Vaughan has the best advice here. I have seen reports on stolen Porsches from all over the owrld. Some on rennlist in the newspapers etc. Most professional thieves do not bother to break into Porsches, they put them on trailers and trucks and drive them away. All these systems will do is to make life difficult for the joyriders etc and they are more likely to torch the Porsche anyway. "GOOD Insurance" first. What I do, especially when visiting other European nations is to pull off part of the distributor. Normally just the centre lead. I do not even bother to take it away, I just push it out of view. Back home in Australia I used to carry the lead with me but I lost it once and well I stopped doing it, hid it in the auto,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 06-29-2001, 11:03 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Why not install a Immobilizer.

In germany they must dead lock ignition, fuel and starter. They start at 100 $ with remote transmiter. Some german insurances give 5% off the annual fee.

Clifford sales them in germany so they must be in the US too.
Can´t follow JHW´s idear it is just to stupid designed and can generate strange things and can kill the HKZ Ignition ( Well Porsche HKZ if he runs an aftermarked I don´t care ).

I do also never recomend to cut any wire. Some wires are very special. The wire from the Ignition coils is allways "No Hands and No Step".

Allways use non arcing relays on fuel and ignition ( with kill diode ) Those are the round red ones at old 911. 3,2 DME has one for all.

The best protection is selfaiming. If you keep the transponder in your pocket and not on the key then you can let drive the hold up thieves drive away. Some immobilizer will kill automatically if the are out of the transponder some will not allow restart.

Grüsse
Old 06-30-2001, 01:51 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the fuel pump relay. Easier to put in your pocket than a 250 lb. dog.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Put a "diesel" badge on your rear decklid.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:11 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Pulling the DME relay is a simple task but reinserting can need some time.

As far I can follow what is the sense ?

A theft protection must be self aiming and comfortable.

Most home made things are not very usefull and every burgler can isolate or sneak out. Some can generate big trouble to the owner if the will jump in while you are on the road or kill other devices.

Every else is talk talk.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Simple Theft Deterrent?