Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why so bloody expensive - rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Steve, you have walked me through several projects as a "value added bonus" for parts I have purchased from you. If someone can pull his own heads, pack them in a box, and ship them to you, are you going to turn them away if all they ask you to install is valve guides? Replace valves as needed, but you aren't going to require porting, polishing, bench flow testing and twin plugs. If they send you a box full of pistons and cylinders are you going to refuse to double check them? I don't think so.

Point is that work can be divided up between owner and shop and not every "while you are in there" has to be done.
But that is the point.....the "WYAIT" aspects are often prudent when it comes to 911 engine rebuilds. Harry summed it up above nicely-"why wouldn't you WANT the motor to go another 200K"? It was also stated that the most expensive rebuild of a 911 is the low cost one. 911's don't suffer tightwads kindly. That is why I amended my post about the $20K cumulative total I have in my rebuild. I fully think $14K would've been the number for a no-holds-barred stock rebuild that included cosmetics and a fair amount of $ for shipping. Have you ever shipped an engine case or P's and C's 1800miles? How about a crank and cams? That cost adds up quickly. I tended to over-crate and I tended to "over insure"

BTW, 6" PVC pipe makes a nice cocoon for a crank. I think I used 2 1/2" or 3" PVC for the cams. Made a nice plywood "nest" for my cylinders.

Doug, your point is how MotorMeister makes a living. There's a lot of stuff not "absolutely" needed to rebuild a motor and fire her up and have it run. That, and substituting others' used parts in a warped Ponzi scheme, and you too can be in the rebuild biz.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Steve, you have walked me through several projects as a "value added bonus" for parts I have purchased from you. If someone can pull his own heads, pack them in a box, and ship them to you, are you going to turn them away if all they ask you to install is valve guides? Replace valves as needed, but you aren't going to require porting, polishing, bench flow testing and twin plugs. If they send you a box full of pistons and cylinders are you going to refuse to double check them? I don't think so.
Very true, and I'll give them an honest assessment about longevity. I will also consult about how the car will be used: street, some track, racing to offer the best advice about how to proceed, what needs to be done, and what parts should be used.

Point is that work can be divided up between owner and shop and not every "while you are in there" has to be done.
Yessir, absolutely true, but one should never lose sight of the context about what kind of use will the engine get and how long everything is expected to last.

The Lion's share of any rebuild is the parts list and in the vast majority of cases, determines the lifespan of the job. Further, there are now wide discrepancies in the quality of parts and that too, helps determine the success of the outcome.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
911's don't suffer tightwads kindly.
Boy, howdy!......Truer words were never spoken,...

I've seen far too many painful examples of that over the past 35 years.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"why wouldn't you WANT the motor to go another 200K"?
While I'm new to the 'Porsche scene', I have personally never owned a car for more than 50k miles, therefore, I can only suspect that there are plenty of owners who don't care near as much about their cars as Rennlisters or Pelicanites and would opt to 'just do enough' to get it to the next owner in the event there were additional 'while your in there' fixes.

Thats just my street sense....
Old 11-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shannon123
While I'm new to the 'Porsche scene', I have personally never owned a car for more than 50k miles, therefore, I can only suspect that there are plenty of owners who don't care near as much about their cars as Rennlisters or Pelicanites and would opt to 'just do enough' to get it to the next owner in the event there were additional 'while your in there' fixes.

Thats just my street sense....
That may've been true up to the last 5 years or so, but I think that mentality is weeding itself out as these get longer in the tooth. I think most that keep these cars are going to be more conscientious.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That may've been true up to the last 5 years or so, but I think that mentality is weeding itself out as these get longer in the tooth. I think most that keep these cars are going to be more conscientious.
Ed, conscientious is one thing, but taking the car to your level is 1/1000. It takes a certain level of love or nuts that most don't have to do what you have done. Name 5 things that you didn't do while you were in there or are not on your short list of things to do.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I probably can't, but that is why I revised downward $6k on my estimate of a total rebuild.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I probably can't, but that is why I revised downward $6k on my estimate of a total rebuild.
Can we agree that most 911's of our vintage will not need the case opened for a very long time. With preventive work to the top end and nothing too radical done to induction the motor will long outlive many of us. Now, pushed to the point of needing ceramic coated pistons, that optimism needs some revising downward. In other words a well cared for stock engine is a good engine.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

There is no doubt a well-founded original engine is desireable.

But, I think the question posed in the title is what we're discussing?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

There is no doubt a well-founded original engine is desireable.

But, I think the question posed in the title is what we're discussing?
Oh ya, Why so bloody expensive? Because we are all trying to keep up with guys like you...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not going to lie.. as a newcomer to the scene the figures thrown around in this thread have me a little worried..
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
i'm not going to lie.. as a newcomer to the scene the figures thrown around in this thread have me a little worried..
don't look at the pelican site then. Ed's right...3.4l is into the stupid money range.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really didn't know when I posted this was going to get this much response. As a relative newbie then, let me ask this question as a follow up. Why would I need a bottom end rebuild? What things go wrong? Obviously, broken parts - rings, connecting rods etc. But, in general, at what point is it just wear and how do you know? My car has 150,000 on the clock, pulls strong and does not smoke. It really doesn't even leak. As a convertible, and given its general condition, I don't think it has ever been on a track either. How many more miles do I have assuming I never track it and take care of it (as I do all my cars).
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a thread not long ago addressing expected longevity. I've seen stock Carreras approaching 300K and running strong. The bottom end of a carrera is pretty robust. General maintenance and repair keeping the combustion process intact: head studs, valvetrain, and proper tuning of the injection go a long way. Basically keeping a good motor in keen tune and repairing things as soon as they are found is all it takes. Oh, drive it - often (sans abusive behavior).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

At a 150K you probably have some valve guide wear - and you most certainly have layshaft bearing wear (and showing copper)

That said - I've seen Carrera engines go 300K miles without opening up.

Anything over 80K and you should probably replace the lower end bearings and seals. It just makes sense if you are that far along (assuming you have the top end to do) I'd also recommend replacing head studs. The 3.0 have suffered this - and age and cycle wise the 3.2's are getting to that magical time frame.

And of course - if you go into the bottom end - replace the 3.2 connecting rod bolts,

Quick Reply: Why so bloody expensive - rebuild