Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do you like this ´76?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 10:19 AM
christiandk
Racer

Default How do you like this ´76?

Have requested additional info.

Funny how the 2.7s have increased in value. You can almost get a super 993 for a overpriced 2.7.

I bet it is because of the lower import tax for Europe when cars are older than 30 years.......well that is why I am looking for a car that is the same age as myself

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ctd/2030704084.html
Old 11-04-2010 | 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

WAY overpriced ... for a problematic engine car .. even if it had all the required engine work done and documented I woul not pay more than I would pay for an equally maintained SC.
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:14 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's very strong money for a '76. Like Iceman says, I personally would not spend that coin on a 2.7 car, but rather an SC or Carrera in solid condition.

However, given the dramatic taxes you pay, I can see why this car, even at this price, would end up being much cheaper for you than an SC.

There is not too much info in the ad, but this is what I see:

1) The paint looks good in the pics. With so little chipping aparent, there is a good chance that it is a repaint. Not unusual in a car this old, but all-the-same, you will want to check into the quality of the paintwork.

2) The picture of the interior does not show a lot, but what it does show does look to be in good condition.

3) I would ask for pictures of the motor and undercarriage, and more interior shots, just to give you a better initial feel for the condition of the car, ahead of moving on to the PPI stage.

4) The car appears to be riding at the "stock" U.S. ride height, which suggests that the car was not "played with". Also, the PCA badge on the rear grill indicates that, at least at one point, this car was owned by a PCA member, which is generally positive.

5) The brake calipers are painted, which is no big deal, but it is the only "non-stock" appearing item I can see.

Being a 2.7, evaluation of the motor, particularly the head studs, is crucial. Also, Porsche started the full galvanizing to the body shell in 1976, but I don't know if this means that 1976 model-year cars are galvanized (as many were built in 1975). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in. However, if you are intending to use the car as a daily driver, than the fully galvanized body shell is a significant plus. In any event, a thorough inspection for corrosion in all the hidden areas will need to be part of the PPI.

This is what I would ask the seller for, before making any move:

1) Ownership history
2) A description if the service records available (if the seller can take some scans or photos, that would be helpful).
3) The detail photos I previously mentioned.
4) Disclosure of any known mechanical or cosmetic flaws (of course, these will be discovered in a PPI, but it is worth asking the owner too).

If you still like what you see, then I would post here and on Pelican to see if anyone in the area can go take a look at the car.

Concurrently, if you do get more photos from the owner, you may wish to post them here for all of us to critique.

If you like what you hear at this stage, then the next step is to negotiate price and arrange a PPI. Again, you can post here to get a good recommendation for a local shop. In any event, agree with the seller that you will pay for the PPI, so it will be independent. You should also agree when negotiating the price that it is contingent on a good PPI. That way there is room to renegotiate (or walk away) if the PPI uncovers issues.

Others may have better ideas than this though.
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:29 AM
christiandk
Racer

Thak you for the very full response 500.

My problem is excactly that the few K´s I pay to much for a nice 2.7 is more than earned in saved taxes. If it was not for the taxes there would be a 3.2 Speedster and a 993 s2 in my garage right now
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:59 AM
ricster
Banned

HOLD THE FORT.....THATS A 1976 911 S!!!!!! Lol, I love how he sounds so excited. like its 1958 Ferrari GTO lol. Please, that car is way overpriced like others have said.
Old 11-04-2010 | 12:11 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

A nice SC for a little over 10K

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

John
Old 11-04-2010 | 12:21 PM
christiandk
Racer

Yeah that looks nice John! Never had a red one before though
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Christian, as of Jan, would you not be able to look for up to an '80 and still beat the tax man? That gives you 3 years of SC's to choose from, a much sounder choice, unless you found the right early car. The mid-years would be my last choice, unless you find one that has been bullet-proofed by a known builder.
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:35 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Christian, as of Jan, would you not be able to look for up to an '80 and still beat the tax man? That gives you 3 years of SC's to choose from, a much sounder choice, unless you found the right early car. The mid-years would be my last choice, unless you find one that has been bullet-proofed by a known builder.
Couldn't have said it better. A nice '80 without the air pump/oxydizing cat/EGR (if any of that is even necessary though) hanging on. I'd put nearly 100% of my effort on that. If you found one in the Bay Area/Nor Cal, I've got plenty of storage until the magic 1/1/11 date.
Old 11-05-2010 | 03:34 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
WAY overpriced ... for a problematic engine car .. even if it had all the required engine work done and documented I woul not pay more than I would pay for an equally maintained SC.
HEY!!

Old 11-05-2010 | 05:27 AM
christiandk
Racer

Ed, Ken. Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it!

There is a crazy hype about the 2.7s here in Europe. Go check out mobile.de. The semi-good ones go for 25.000 euro!!!!! The good ones for 35.000!!! The american dealers know that there is tax to be saved on european imports for cars over 30 years of age, so they snap them up to flip them over to German and Danish dealers. Bad for enthusiasts like me.

The silver 77 got sold to a german dealer yesterday! The seller of the black 76 had a real bad attitude and laughed when I asked if it leaked....he said that all 911s leak!? Well my previous 911s never did!!! Jerk! He was a Honda dealer...maybe he should leave the Porsches alone!

Going for a 78-80 SC...........want a super one, so please let me know it you stumble over one....just not red and has to be original with books.

Thanks Ken, might take you up on that

Quick Reply: How do you like this ´76?