Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Coupe #'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

No, one *******, once in a while says something stupid. You're now the one. And you said most Targa and Cab owners fall into your guidelines. I've got no Targa complex. Old Ruby can hold her own against many, many cars in both performance and looks. It seems like you're making a habit of saying stupid things on this board, which is making us bored.

Since you don't seem to have a grasp on word usage, your opinion has less validity.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

To the OP: I think there are a fair number of coupes on the market, but it sometimes seems to be cyclical.

In my experience of coupe/targa/cabrio owners, I have not noticed any correlation between dabbler-ishness and car type. These older 911s are well-off of the radar of people who want to look cool in a car. They are just too old-looking for that now. The majority of air-cooled owners that I have come across tend to be enthusiasts to some level.

Although I prefer the coupe, when I was looked for a 911, I considered targas and cabrios too. There are a lot of guys/gals who had a preference (e.g. coupe) but settled on one of the others (e.g. targa) just because they found a really good sample at the right price.

And Ed's car is one of my favorite 911s, a well-executed car on all fronts.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No, I didn't. I suspected something, however. Now I do, it is a douchebag comment. I get so tired when people have to say that Coupes are the only "real" 911's, which is what you're saying.

Is a Coupe's lines prettier? Probably. But I find that having a sports car with an open top, particularly in Southern Calif or other mild weather climates to be especially fulfilling. But, what do I know, I own a Targa, so I must not be a car guy-just a dabbler.

I also believe I have an article on my home computer where none other than Mark Donohue said he actually preferred the feel of a Targa at speed compared to a coupe. So, yes they are heavier and have more flex, but the reality is 99.3% of the world's 911 owners could not make any difference. And per MD's opinion, it may even work to some advantage. But, he was probably just a dabbler. I guess his years in the 917-30 Spyders proves that.

By the way, when one gets tired of something, it is spelled b-o-r-e-d, not b-o-a-r-d.
i agree & you'll get a lot of euro readers agreeing. nothing better than a top off road trip.
last 3 cars have been verts (including the above cobra - pictured, which dyno'd at 575rwHP, & which easily outran outhandled a late model M3 up Mt Seymour).
while i would love to live in South CA.....even through the winters here are colder (seldom if ever snows in Vanc)on sunny days my wife & i will top down, with heater blasting.
for a dd or a track car i suppose coupe, for a wkend, roadtrips car hard to beat an open car.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never said there was anything wrong with them.

I agree a cab, convert, roadster is a fantastic way to go by car.

We have a BMW Z3 that my wife loves to drive with the top down every chance she gets.

It's not a better or worse arguement.

However, personally, I just wouldn't own anything but a 911 coupe, but that's just me.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Makmov
Never said there was anything wrong with them.

I agree a cab, convert, roadster is a fantastic way to go by car.

We have a BMW Z3 that my wife loves to drive with the top down every chance she gets.

It's not a better or worse arguement.

However, personally, I just wouldn't own anything but a 911 coupe, but that's just me.
That is lot different statement than your first. Where you potentially insulted many of us here. The cars AND the owners.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I didn't say all cab and Targa owners were dabblers. I said dabblers tend to by cabs and Targas.

There is a huge difference there, unless you are hypersensitive about it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S. Carver
I'm not into domestics at all, but that's a good looking car Raspberry. Looks nice and mean. Errr...mean and mean? Anyways...looks great!

Feel free to post some more pics.
to keep on topic, 1st of all to the OP, i might suggest that he also search out the 964 coupe marketplace.....seems to me not much difference in price between the editions.....have to drive them both (911 later editions & 964's)....i cannot rank 1 above the other, but 964's likely "last of the porsche" to still give Kart-like handling

re 04 cobra
well thanks for that, it was 1 of the funnest cars i ever had.
-small block, hand assembled (build team of 2 -personally signed plate at the factory - SVT, special vehicle team), forged internals, race heads, headers ,
-factory supercharged, limited edition (about 5000 in 04), only mustang with IRS, functional hood scoops, 6 sp short throw trans
-upgrades included 2.3" whipple blower running about 17p.s.i., intercooler, CAI, BAP, MAFia, magnaflow exhaust/x-pipe, centreforce DFX clutch, full length sub chassis connectors, H&R race springs, shocks struts, 19" foose wheels, some other stuff.

imo for the price you can buy these (their nickname) terminators at (03/04 cobras) remain 1 of the best values on the street.

........upgraded to a slower, but as much fun (much quieter....964 cab!!)

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I why Ford hasn't done IRS on the new Mustangs. That seems to alway be the biggest gripe from reviewers.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed, you are quite right, the reviwers gripe about the lack of IRS - but they don't buy many Mustangs. The buyers insist on the old school rear axle set-up, & they pay the piper. At least, that's according to my bro, who runs a Ford dealership. I believe they make IRS available on some of the niche versions.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I agree partly that's whatever there market research showed and partly cost.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ked
Ed, you are quite right, the reviwers gripe about the lack of IRS - but they don't buy many Mustangs. The buyers insist on the old school rear axle set-up, & they pay the piper. At least, that's according to my bro, who runs a Ford dealership. I believe they make IRS available on some of the niche versions.
you are correct....most mustang buyers still like the get up & go from the stoplight of solid rear end....(& actually not a few 03/04 cobra owners have swapped out the IRS for solid rear ends as a better set up for drag racing).

IRS is NOT available on any mustang & was only packaged with 03/04 cobra.
actually even with "this deficiency" brand new shelby cobra gt comes out really good on the reviews....pulling a by 1 report a full 1g on skidpad (lot of work on antisways, suspension, tire & wheel set up...!)

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...e5587a29d6.pdf

Quick Reply: Coupe #'s