Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Coupe #'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Cobra Grover
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe #'s

I'm a new guy to this forum. I've been looking at the 84-89 mostly because of the styling, more specific the 87-89 for the G50.
I don't know the production numbers but it seems the convertibles and targas for sale out number the coupes 5 to 1. Are the coupes that rare or are people just holding on to them?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a lot of coupes have been used up for track cars.

Dabblers seem to buy Cabs and Targas, and dabblers seem to get board with their cars sooner.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
Just a lot of coupes have been used up for track cars.

Dabblers seem to buy Cabs and Targas, and dabblers seem to get board with their cars sooner.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does your handle imply you are into snakes or coming out of

Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

hahaha
track cars are a small proportion of old 911s (unless the track is your universe).
coupes are indeed held onto longer, for a number of reasons. they hold up well over time, as cars & "investments", are perceived to be the "purist's 911" (it was the first 901-type to be introduced), cost less to care for over time (conv & targa tops wear out, Coupe int suffer less enviro exposure). proportionally, more Cabs & Targas were imported to USA mkt compared to Euro (listed higher - dlrs made more $ & yes, there's the dabbler factor).

actually, I think you can get real nice G50 Coupes anytime - you just have to be willing to pay.
(does anyone get the impression there's a hand-grenade inquiry theme lately?)
cheers!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Cobra Grover
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a Factory Five a few years ago.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobra Grover
I built a Factory Five a few years ago.
nice, shelby knock off....7L. ?
....you should be used to verts, and in the 911, 964 editions verts stand up pretty well.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by ked
hahaha
track cars are a small proportion of old 911s (unless the track is your universe).
coupes are indeed held onto longer, for a number of reasons. they hold up well over time, as cars & "investments", are perceived to be the "purist's 911" (it was the first 901-type to be introduced), cost less to care for over time (conv & targa tops wear out, Coupe int suffer less enviro exposure). proportionally, more Cabs & Targas were imported to USA mkt compared to Euro (listed higher - dlrs made more $ & yes, there's the dabbler factor).

actually, I think you can get real nice G50 Coupes anytime - you just have to be willing to pay.
(does anyone get the impression there's a hand-grenade inquiry theme lately?)
cheers!
But if you notice almost all the wrecked track cars are coupes and the almost always get TL'ed, and almost always replaced with another coupe.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect coupes have a higher attrition rate.

looks like the US numbers were a real rough 1/3 Cabs 1/3 Targas 1/3 Coupes.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I think older 911's are toys to a majority of the population. If you are going to have a 3rd car (toy) you want to make it count by having one you can remove the top (targa or cab)

When the economy sucks the big wazoo - people tend to unload their toy. I think people are much more likely to drive a coupe as a 2nd car - maybe smaller commute but still part of the rotation - especially in less friendly climates. If you are still working - and the car (your 1978-1989 coupe) is reliable (most of the 1978-1989 cars are very reliable) you can continue to drive and hope for better days ahead.

Just my perception.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I suspect coupes have a higher attrition rate."

on the track, where they are over-represented (for good reason). but my observation over the yrs of clapped out, beaten & dead 911s laying around dismantling (& back-) yards, the Targa is over-represented. whereas my observation of tidy old driver 911s remaining on the road is biased towards coupes. this is all unscientific quantification w/ lotsa qualifications, isn't it?

while the 911 may be the most raced production car over the past half-century (proportional to its production #s), track cars are overshadowed statistically by the on-road population. I seem to recall something like 400,000 911s being built - not sure if that extends to the end of 993 production.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

What exactly does that mean?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
What exactly does that mean?
I think you know what that means.

However, if I have to spell it out for you.

Not all, but a lot of Cab and Targa owners are not really car guys, they just always thought they wanted a Porsche and don't really understand what it is all about or appreciate the car for what it is, what it stands for, and what it has accomplished.

People who really do understand the car tend to buy coupes.

So once the novelty wares off dabblers bail and get something else.

It is even worse with Ferraris, and worse yet with Lamborghini - at least the older ones.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I think you know what that means.

However, if I have to spell it out for you.

Not all, but a lot of Cab and Targa owners are not really car guys, they just always thought they wanted a Porsche and don't really understand what it is all about or appreciate the car for what it is, what it stands for, and what it has accomplished.

People who really do understand the car tend to buy coupes.

So once the novelty wares off dabblers bail and get something else.

It is even worse with Ferraris, and worse yet with Lamborghini - at least the older ones.
No, I didn't. I suspected something, however. Now I do, it is a douchebag comment. I get so tired when people have to say that Coupes are the only "real" 911's, which is what you're saying.

Is a Coupe's lines prettier? Probably. But I find that having a sports car with an open top, particularly in Southern Calif or other mild weather climates to be especially fulfilling. But, what do I know, I own a Targa, so I must not be a car guy-just a dabbler.

I also believe I have an article on my home computer where none other than Mark Donohue said he actually preferred the feel of a Targa at speed compared to a coupe. So, yes they are heavier and have more flex, but the reality is 99.3% of the world's 911 owners could not make any difference. And per MD's opinion, it may even work to some advantage. But, he was probably just a dabbler. I guess his years in the 917-30 Spyders proves that.

By the way, when one gets tired of something, it is spelled b-o-r-e-d, not b-o-a-r-d.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

wonder why
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No, I didn't. I suspected something, however. Now I do, it is a douchebag comment. I get so tired when people have to say that Coupes are the only "real" 911's, which is what you're saying.

Is a Coupe's lines prettier? Probably. But I find that having a sports car with an open top, particularly in Southern Calif or other mild weather climates to be especially fulfilling. But, what do I know, I own a Targa, so I must not be a car guy-just a dabbler.

I also believe I have an article on my home computer where none other than Mark Donohue said he actually preferred the feel of a Targa at speed compared to a coupe. So, yes they are heavier and have more flex, but the reality is 99.3% of the world's 911 owners could not make any difference. And per MD's opinion, it may even work to some advantage. But, he was probably just a dabbler. I guess his years in the 917-30 Spyders proves that.

By the way, when one gets tired of something, it is spelled b-o-r-e-d, not b-o-a-r-d.
I don't recall saying ALL Targa owners are douchebags. Just some of them are.

I am sorry you are having a Targa complex, maybe you should get a coupe.

If you are tired of the Targa comments there must be some truth to them.

My god man, why so defensive always? ALWAYS!

Doesn't matter what fact reality is or if 99.3% could make any difference or not, it is the preception that creates tendancies and trends ~ perception is reality.

Quick Reply: Coupe #'s