In search of 87/88 911 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of 87/88 911 Cab

Hello,

I am in slow search mode for a G-50 Cab. I missed out on a beautiful silver with red leather interior. It sold, but what a striking color combo that I've never seen on that year. Most are red or black exterior, with some whites and blues.

I'm thinking I might get a better deal once we get into colder weather.

Anyway, question for you - I've owned an 83SC with a 915, and then owned a 99 C2. I've never driven the G50 trans. Can anyone tell me what the difference is with this and the 915? I believe it is a hydraulic clutch, which should make it easier to engage. I remember synchros going bad in my 915 and some difficulty in general in making quick shifts.

How does the shifting in the G50 compare to the 915. Of course, I had zero complaints with my 99 6spd trans, but my 915 was a bit "bus-like" IMO.

I imagine this has been discussed in the past, so maybe someone has a link to that discussion - in case this is a "not again" topic like RMS and Engine Failure is in the 996 forum.

thanks,
Todd
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Todd,

Lots of discussion regarding 915 v G50. Use the "search" link at the top of the page and I'm sure you'll find tons of threads.

I'm also in Philly...whereabouts are you in town?

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I've been searching and reading.

Not in town (although worked on Market Street by City Hall in the 90's). I'm in Chadds Ford, PA - suburbs.

(if you see at the left where I say "Philadelphia SW" the next word on the next line says Suburbs. That's supposed to mean Philad Southwestern Suburbs, but it looks like SW Philly).
Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Ah...missed the suburbs part. Have you checked out holtmotorsports.com or aicauto.com? Both aren't too far from Philly, and both have 87-88 cabs on their websites. I have no affiliation with either, although John Witmer from AIC was nice enough to let me test drive an 82 sc last year when I was looking for a car. You could prob. test drive both at either.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Will have a look. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like John has a nice cab for sale on his website. His cars are nice.

BTW, G50 boxes are very nice to shift and pretty tough.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Here we go again......(you're the one who mentioned it)

As usual, I'll say that buying a car for a trans is crazy, IMO. But, if you think you need a G50 and will overlook a potentially stellar pre-87, I'd suggest you increase your search years to include 89.

Last edited by Ed Hughes; 09-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

Not a commercial, but for what it is worth I just bought an 88 from Holt Motorsports. Excellent car and Tim is an honest, standup guy. I payed a little more than the average of what I saw in the market, but feel I received much more value than what I spent.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Here we go again.......

Ed, even as I was reading through each post I was just anticipating your post with that exact comment. To the OP: I have never driven G-50 but I did start my search just like everyone out there looking for a '87 thru '89 (ya as Ed says might as well include the best year for a G-50 car)..why because I read every single magazine, buyer's guide out there in the market which all sang praises of the G50 (I must say that most of them also did say that some of the old school feel was lost with the G50 compared to the 915...some even say that the G50 made the 911 shift like a Mazda).

But guess what. I loved the feel of the 915 (which was in excellent condition). I will say this (like Ed always says) Please get the car that is in good overall condition and not just be fixated about the gearbox. And ya when you test drive one please drive a 915 without worn out synchros for a fair comparison.

...and Oh BTW, I did land up with a 915 equipped 911 and absolutely love it. Two out of the three hosts of the topgear drive a 915 Carrera 3.2: C'mon it must not be that bad right. Go find the car of your dreams, remember take time in your search. As they all say the G50 is a great gearbox, but that does not make the 915 a bad one.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, if you owned a Manual tranny 99C2 it was a G50. Same principal as the 87-89 carrera's. Only difference would be if you had a Tiptronic.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Todd, if you owned a Manual tranny 99C2 it was a G50. Same principal as the 87-89 carrera's. Only difference would be if you had a Tiptronic.
Ron, I'll have to take your word for it for now.

But I must say, 10years + difference in 87-89 vs. 1999? My 99 trans was near perfect (never had any issues), so I would be really surprised if the 87 is as smooth/nice. Not that I would be complaining, just would be surprised.

I've read a lot of posts now, with a lot of guys saying that a perfectly aligned, etc., 915 is as good or better than a G-50. Welp, I had a 915 trans with bad synchros, then I had the trans rebuilt, and it was better, but certainly not smooth like the Japanese transmissions from that time period (I'm going back many years now - and no, I'm not trying to compare a Porsche to a Japanese car). I also remember to adjust the shifter many times for the perfect shift that I read about back then. I have a sneaking suspicion that the G-50 simply gives less trouble.

I looked at Holtmotorsports' website, and the cars look great. That was good advice. I will stop by as it is close, but I always get a little worried when a dealer lists no prices! Not that they are not high quality cars, but I suspect high prices (I know, you get what you pay for - most times).

Not that I am looking for the bottom of the barrel, but I routinely check about ten different classified sites (Excellence, 6speed, rennlist, renntech, ebay, autotrader, etc). I usually find the best "deals" on pelicanparts - given those deals are usually for more molested cars. That is where a silver 87 convertible with red interior sold for $15k or less. I don't know much about it, but it was unique and nice looking. Would have had a PPI had I had the time.

Thanks,
Todd

Quick Reply: In search of 87/88 911 Cab