Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73.5 question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
sriki
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73.5 question...

I didn't want to hijack the other thread.. so here it is..

Are the 73.5 CIS's any different from the rest of the 70-73 cars? I am going to look at one tomorrow and it seems like it has been repainted and interiors redone at some point. The owner says there is some little rust but I have no photos of the car except for one from the rear. It is priced at 12k, is it even worth looking?

Originally Posted by wpriller
I've seen some Ts starting in the mid 20s and going into the 40s according to year and condition. E cars with mechanical injection being price higher than the T, and I've seen some S prices ranging from 50 thousand to 100 thousand according to condition, mileage and authenticity.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Car is the same only difference is CIS injection, nice cars. Rust on these can be a big deal.
Phil
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
sriki
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Car is the same only difference is CIS injection, nice cars. Rust on these can be a big deal.
Phil
I will probably take my camera and post them to assess the potential.. Atleast the seller thinks that with some work, the car can be back as a show car(he apparently did some earlier).. I just hope I won't be drooling there and then have a buyers remorse later .
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sriki
I didn't want to hijack the other thread.. so here it is..

Are the 73.5 CIS's any different from the rest of the 70-73 cars? I am going to look at one tomorrow and it seems like it has been repainted and interiors redone at some point. The owner says there is some little rust but I have no photos of the car except for one from the rear. It is priced at 12k, is it even worth looking?
These are truly excellent cars but somewhat rust-prone. You really need to have a PPI performed by someone intimately knowledgeable with these cars before you spend a dime.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Each of my two brothers bought '73.5 CIS 911s new. Each car had virtually zero issues (I maintained both), and each car made it to about 110,000 miles before a valve job was needed. Both cars delivered very high mileage with their clutch, both cars did not have any transmission trouble, and both cars were expertly driven.

I can safely say, having maintained a large number of them over extended periods of time, that this model is one of Porsche's finer efforts. And, as Steve wrote, a PPI by someone who knows the early CIS cars is absolutely mandatory.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And there's early CIS, and then there's THAT CIS. Sure didn't take them long to figure out leaving the injectors mounted in the head ala the MFI cars wasn't such a great idea............

As far as rust, yeah, it's starts and stops there. We sold a zero rust '73 1/2 Targa a couple of months ago for $15K. Basically a two owner car (friend, and before that his dad owned it since '78) that hadn't run much since the mid '80s. And always stored indoors. But realistically it was $5-10K in parts and sublet paint away from being a really good car.

Funny thing about driving the car though is that it's just so blah, even lazy, as I'm used to all of my 3.6L cars. Doesn't want to rev, with that 7.5:1 compression engine and extremely mild cams. Decent torque, but in today's world I think it's really lacking. Almost like what I thought a 356 1600 Normal was in relation to a good 2.2T w/ Webers "back in the day."

I spent the afternoon today ripping into my '73 1/2 T, though it's getting to be just a shell. Was nice to pick and poke at this zero rust car, too. Too nice to be a wheel-to-wheel car in today's world, kind of too much of a pain to bring it back as a street car for me.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
sriki
5th Gear

I will definitely get a PPI, it has about 70k. The rust part is what's bothering me. The owner says there is some rust, I just need to figure out if it's something that I want to deal with or walk away from it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

remember too that spotting rust is like spotting an iceberg. You don't see 80% of it - so if you spot rust - there is something bigger lurking
Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Each of my two brothers bought '73.5 CIS 911s new. Each car had virtually zero issues (I maintained both), and each car made it to about 110,000 miles before a valve job was needed. Both cars delivered very high mileage with their clutch, both cars did not have any transmission trouble, and both cars were expertly driven.

I can safely say, having maintained a large number of them over extended periods of time, that this model is one of Porsche's finer efforts. And, as Steve wrote, a PPI by someone who knows the early CIS cars is absolutely mandatory.
I would agree that it is one of Porsches better efforts.

While not delivering the hi revving power of the E or S model of the time, for a touring car it is hard to beat. Starts easily, runs nicely, enough torque low down to keep you moving, fuel consumption is not outrageous. Rust is an issue but the lower parts of the car have some rust protection so all is not lost.

I have had mine since 2001 and about 35,000 miles of smiles.

Last edited by HarryD; 07-31-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
sriki
5th Gear

Ok.. saw the car today.. forgot to take the camera, so no pictures .. Anyway here's the thing, the car has the S trim with the valence. The owner says he has taken care of the valve guides, cleaned up the fuel tank(boiled) and the fuel distributer redone. The body definitely needs some TLC, there is rust on the cowl and couple of spots on the surface. pretty much needs to be stripped down and repainted. The engine was strong but we couldn't get too far because of either lack of fuel or a blocked fuel filter..so it was a stop and go. I will be going back again next weekend if it's not sold by then for a test run again. It's a 4 speed though.. The other car listed on ebay (the 1980 white SC looks good as well).. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item20b2775a06

wife likes this one as it's a low maintenance mistress ..

Quick Reply: 73.5 question...