Your thoughts on this car ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Your thoughts on this car ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-Po...item2c553846b6

No affiliation, etc.. As I know, the engine capacity has been increased, the rest looks pristine

Was this original color ?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My shop took care of a '70 T that was that color, so it's quite possible that it's original to the car. I do have some concerns, though.
1. Engine "cert" sticker on left door post, I don't know what that is.
2. I want to meet the guy who installed the tailpipe tip backwards!
3. This painstakingly assembled and "modernized" car has the most idiotic w/wiper set up.
4. The outside rear view mirror is from a later model 911.
5. The left door striker plate is black, original was gold. Why?
6. The carpet at the rear seats not installed correctly. Did the installer not know how to take loose the rear speaker panel to tuck the carpet under it?
7. Door "cards" lightweight? I don't think so. The "modernizers" discovered how much the original door map/junk compartments cost, and instead of replacing them they bought a couple of after market panels.
8. Serious oversight. Look at the painted surface immediately outboard of the door panels. You see all that blue paint? That paint should be black, so when the doors are closed, and you're seated inside, you should not be able to see body color. Any shop that truly knows 911s knows that, and knows how to black out that narrow area.

I would have liked fewer gratuitous exterior photos and a few of the trunk and under body.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the point here? Pete's taken his expert eye to what's been posted; no way I can improve on those observations. What I can mention is that it's a 2.2T. With a pull clutch transmission. Since we're talking "real money" for something like this, I'd say go find the exact car that really floats your boat.

Nice that it has a Bosch distributor though! But Zenith carbs..............
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm getting better. I picked up on half of what Pete said.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
My shop took care of a '70 T that was that color, so it's quite possible that it's original to the car. I do have some concerns, though.
1. Engine "cert" sticker on left door post, I don't know what that is.
2. I want to meet the guy who installed the tailpipe tip backwards!
3. This painstakingly assembled and "modernized" car has the most idiotic w/wiper set up.
4. The outside rear view mirror is from a later model 911.
5. The left door striker plate is black, original was gold. Why?
6. The carpet at the rear seats not installed correctly. Did the installer not know how to take loose the rear speaker panel to tuck the carpet under it?
7. Door "cards" lightweight? I don't think so. The "modernizers" discovered how much the original door map/junk compartments cost, and instead of replacing them they bought a couple of after market panels.
8. Serious oversight. Look at the painted surface immediately outboard of the door panels. You see all that blue paint? That paint should be black, so when the doors are closed, and you're seated inside, you should not be able to see body color. Any shop that truly knows 911s knows that, and knows how to black out that narrow area.

I would have liked fewer gratuitous exterior photos and a few of the trunk and under body.
This sums it up, thanks a lot !
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I like the color - but not really sure why

Last edited by g-50cab; 06-28-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Noted what Peter brought up as well as the odd arrangement of the bottom of the shifter boot. It should be tucked under the carpet. (Perhaps it's not even the right shifter boot for that era 911). As those of us who know older 911s have seen, there is quite a bit that's just not right with the car. If someone had decided to spend a lot of money to restore this car they should have spent it with a 911 expert. There are many particular issues with Porsches that only a true expert who has done work on one before would know--not this shop. Thus, it should be priced accordingly, with sufficient reserve to make right things that are obviously wrong to us.

The thing most concerning to me is the odd ball sticker where the body sticker by Porsche usually appears. What sort of "certification" was he trying to claim? Was this a Canadian car, or a German car that was exported here and then messed with?

It's just enough to say there are some odd things with it. I do like the fact that the engine was updated with the oil fed chain tensioners. It's an inexpensive fix and should be done on these cars to eliminate a known problem from day one.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here I thought those seat folder/hinge mechanisms should have been chromed, not black, but my longhood knowledge is limited. The only thing I can think of about the "cert" in the door would be a later import (ie, not sold new in the us). Shifter boot as mentioned looks wrong.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

They were chromed on the 356. I think they toned them down on the later (post 1970) 911s.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this car ?