Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rough starts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Aries9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough starts

My 1980 911SC starts up really rough. It sits a lot so I'm wondering if you think it's the gas. The car has no problems once it's warmed up and I've used the high revs for a bit. But when I first start it up it will stall unless I give it gas but it seems like the gas is on and off, pressing the gas doesn't instantly mean the revs will go up. They may, or they may not. It's very odd. I usually stall about 4 times until it can idle without stalling. Until I get the thing warm it does small backfires and the car lurches.

Do you think it's bad gas or a bad filter or what should I check first?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Might be an issue with control pressure and or the Warm up regualtor

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...em-911-sc.html

John
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
2specs
Instructor

I kinda have the same issue but I don't get any backfire. On a cold start I pump the gas twice before starting and that seems to help. I don't touch it after that. It will idle about 500 and gradually build it's way up to 950 and then it's perfect from there. When I shut it down after a nice drive and start it up about a half hour later it will do the same thing, idle low and gradually build to 950 again and the engine is still quite warm when it does this. Warm up regulator is rebuilt. When I figure it out I'll post it but don't hold your breath, we bought another house... so much to do.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM
hamah
Pro

Similar issue here. Because my 91 C2 is using the Motronic DME I don't touch the gas. When she's cold she starts rough and likely won't start on 1st turn over like she used to. Once she turns over she runs rough (like missing a cylinder or so) for a brief moment and then runs smooth from there, still not having touched the pedal. This only happens when cold.

Originally Posted by 2specs
I kinda have the same issue but I don't get any backfire. On a cold start I pump the gas twice before starting and that seems to help. I don't touch it after that. It will idle about 500 and gradually build it's way up to 950 and then it's perfect from there. When I shut it down after a nice drive and start it up about a half hour later it will do the same thing, idle low and gradually build to 950 again and the engine is still quite warm when it does this. Warm up regulator is rebuilt. When I figure it out I'll post it but don't hold your breath, we bought another house... so much to do.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

If your gas is more than 3 months old and you don't use Sta-bil, you should change it.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Might be an issue with control pressure and or the Warm up regualtor

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...em-911-sc.html

John
Yup. Could also be a vacuum leak.
Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If your gas is more than 3 months old and you don't use Sta-bil, you should change it.
Yup.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM
2specs
Instructor

Well in my case the gas is good, I have been using premium and gone through a few tanks already this year. I do plan on adding a fuel injection cleaner to a full tank of gas then change the oil after that tank.

If it was a vacuum leak shouldn't it run rough warm as well?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've seen vacuum issues where it hurts the idle, but runs OK when the throttle is opened.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I've seen vacuum issues where it hurts the idle, but runs OK when the throttle is opened.
It idles perfect at 950 when warm.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A vac leak would cause it to run lean. It may be that when the engine needs a richer mixture, it stumbles. But a lot of things can cause this, including the WUR, and even a weak fuel pump. You have to check fuel pressure in any case. If you had a afr gauge, that would be the next thing.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 PM
2specs
Instructor

I did pick up a new fuel pump and planned to do that anyway. The one in the car is still working but suspect it's wearing down because it can be quite loud at times. I will try that first.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Your car is losing fuel pressure against the FD when the pump is off so if you change the check valve at the outlet of the fuel pump, you should be OK unless there are other issues (accumulator).

Naturally, I'm assuming that the fuel filter is nice & fresh,...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Your car is losing fuel pressure against the FD when the pump is off so if you change the check valve at the outlet of the fuel pump, you should be OK unless there are other issues (accumulator).

Naturally, I'm assuming that the fuel filter is nice & fresh,...
New Bosch pump has a check valve on it. I'll be installing it in a week or so along with a new fuel filter and will update the board.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

You should not be touching the gas to start a CIS car. check your Base CO and make sure your cold start valve ant thermotime switch is working.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
You should not be touching the gas to start a CIS car. check your Base CO and make sure your cold start valve ant thermotime switch is working.
Yeah Ice I know you shouldn't touch the gas but right now it works for me until I can get things figured out.

Quick Reply: Rough starts