Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fender Mounted Oil Cooler System

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Mac Dorris
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Mounted Oil Cooler System

I was wondering about the cost to install a front fender mounted oil cooler for my SC. I also want to replace the temp guage with one that has actual temp numbers at the same time. I was given a quote that I thought might be a little high for the work. Was looking to see if anyone had any experience with this job and what they paid to get it done. Parts and labor. I'm being quoted about $1500.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know if that is too crazy....coolers aint cheap. What kind of cooler, and does it include new lines and the gauge work?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guage replacement is easy. It comes with numbered scale and a calibrated sender. The high cost is the oil lines and hopefully a Carrera radiator type oil cooler. If it already has a trombone or other cooler up there, then you probably won't need the thermostat in the right rear wheel well. Those solid oil lines can be expensive unless you find someone just wanting to get rid of them.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do it yourself:

http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhandling/fans.htm
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory Carrera fin type oil cooler is the easiest to install. No fabricating and cutting. If you live in a hot climate, run AC, and want to drive in the summer, you should consider adding the electric fan also. You probably could installl the new numbered gauge yourself as a warmup.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

The hardest part of what you want to do is installing the sender. It goes into the engine near the firewall--top center, roughly. Unless you are pulling the engine--forget it. You can always just buy the kit and put it aside for now, and wait for the next opportunity to do it when the engine is out. You HAVE to replace the sender with that other numbered gauge--or the numbers will be off. Don't be tempted to do one without the other. Many are.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The hardest part of what you want to do is installing the sender. It goes into the engine near the firewall--top center, roughly. Unless you are pulling the engine--forget it. You can always just buy the kit and put it aside for now, and wait for the next opportunity to do it when the engine is out. You HAVE to replace the sender with that other numbered gauge--or the numbers will be off. Don't be tempted to do one without the other. Many are.
The oil temperature sender is next to the serial number, basically at 5 o'clock when looking at the engine fan. Basically it's pulling the reading from oil going to the right cam tower. 22mm hex, if I remember. God knows I replaced enough of them when I had my Phoenix shop and got nearly everyone numbered gauges........... (The oil pressure sender, and switch, are the semi pain-in-the-*** back by the breather tube and buried under the CIS.)
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The t-stat is what Edgy may've been mistaking as well, that is "back at the front" of the motor by the pressure sender.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. If you want to have the numbered gauge, it requires a calibrated oil temp sender.

I was just thinking about the OP, and if the quote was for a Porsche cooler, that's pretty decent. You'd need the cooler, two oil hoses, the louvered plate, the body seal, and I think there must be some sort of lower oil cooler mount. You need the upper oil cooler mount, and some way of bolting it to the headlight bucket. If you add the fan, you'll need the horn relocating kit, and two brackets for the fan, the fan, and a relay for the remote switch.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yup. If you want to have the numbered gauge, it requires a calibrated oil temp sender.

I was just thinking about the OP,......
http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhan...ndlingmain.htm

Dig around the link. They show it all...
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Mac Dorris
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. Being the "not good with tool guy" that I am, I will have the folks at Speed Sport Tuning do the job. I am psyched to get it back soon so I can finally do a DE day with it. I had the suspension totally redone about 2 years ago and put in a short shift kit, race seats, harnesses and roll bar. It's ready to have some fun on the track. All it needs now is a 3.6 motor and bigger brakes.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

For the oil temp gauge, just go with the overlay from this site.

No need to deal with a new sender

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ntage-usa.html

http://newvintageusa.com/911modules.html

Hopefully they are still in stock

John

Quick Reply: Fender Mounted Oil Cooler System