Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Icons that make up a 911 icon: Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Icons that make up a 911 icon: Part 4

Ever heard of the classic adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it. Yes, there were regular changes made to the engine, gearbox, suspension throughout the first two and a half decades of 911 production to keep up with it's image of a thinking person's sports car. But one thing changed very little: The Instrument Panel...and there was a good reason why it did not change.

5 large diameter dials panoramically laid out and angled accurately towards the driver just felt right, lending itself to some serious spirited driving. Centrally mounted on your face tachometer flanked by two dials on either side including a partially obscured speedometer to the right and three different gauges just for the oil...just elevates your feel to the level of a race car driver even when you are en route to the neighborhood grocery store to buy a gallon of milk.

All good things had have to come to an end. Due to too much pressure and even I would say some criticism from the press due to it's "outdated" look, the 911's interior had to change in the nineties...so did some of the character of the 911's interior.

How do I keep it clean: My favorite products Sonax dashboard cleaner or Einszett cockpit premium. It gives a nice matte finish and repels dust very well. I do not like most of the regular consumer products that gives a greasy look. The products mentioned above also prevents fading and aging over time. I use them to wipe down the dash, gauge cluster, shift ***** and and steering wheel. You want to use a product that is water-based and is free of solvents and silicone. These pictures where taken this afternoon on my car that was wiped down with Sonax two weeks ago. I hope I could convey the message intended with those angles. I worked hard but I am not sure.

Wow factor: The bold faces of the dials, knobby controls, quirky dynamics of the druck press gauge...I could go on and on. It's just the elegant simplicity in their design.

Here is the link to the rest on this series of remembering the 911 icons. Just go the part 1 that has the link to the rest on this series.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429
Attached Images     

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 06-15-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting eagerly for your next part in this series. Very nice. It's a shame that the 996/7 dials have been altered, but the instrument panel still remains such an integral, symbolic part of the interior. I love timeless things in general. I guess that's the allure of the 911. I love that you can hop from a 60's 911 into a 1997 993 and feel at home. Something familiar and tangible; yet intangible at the same time.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Autarky that was extremely well articulated. Couldn't have said it better. Posts like the one above of yours just captures the essence of what I am trying to convey through these series. Thank you mate.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Autarky that was extremely well articulated. Couldn't have said it better. Posts like the one above of yours just captures the essence of what I am trying to convey through these series. Thank you mate.
Not a problem

Thank you for this series! It's very inspiring and such a joy to read about these cars. I love these kinds of threads! We can never have too many.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

It was pretty much the same for 25 years, and Porsche even evoked it when they introduced the 997. Here's a look at my instrument panel.

The carpets have since been cleaned! Keep 'em coming Amar!

Last edited by Helios59; 12-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this one coming! Ahh the gauges. Some refer to them as "WW2 fighter" and it fits. In fact, much of a 911 is aircraft inspired (mostly the flat 6).
I find myself being led back to the early car(pre 74) in these icon threads as so much of the spirit was there for years. A 2.2S screaming past 7000 rpms has an effect on you if you've never felt it. Watching the tach bounce around wildly trying to "keep up" with the rev-happy early motors is hypnotic.
Fast forward to the 90s. All of the 3.6 cars hold the same qualities, carefully preserved, as the first 911s. As I consider a 911 purchase, I find myself looking at 993s and, at the same time, searching for a 72 911T. They both serve the same purpose to me. Some ask - how can you even compare the two. I will have to refer them to the 911 icon series to understand. Much of the comparison lies in the quirky ergonomics...the gauges. I like the radio off to the passenger side of the cockpit, touching the windscreen with my finger as I give a passing P-car the "point", and the bottom hinged pedal cluster. Staring confidently at an otherwise obscured set of gauges. Driving a 911 is like a jazz drummer; Every limb in its own syncapation, connected to a rhythmic tempo that the "artist" must count. A dance of sorts, the 911 driver must participate in the music - reading from the sheet music, at a glance, laid right in front of you. Ahhhh - the gauges.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Beautiful post Whalebird
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Fantastic icon and excellent follow-up posts!

The Tachometer is right where it should be: in the middle. I hate when other cars have it offset. My daily driver is a Subaru WRX and the tach is offset to the right. When I switch between the Subie and the P-car I get thrown for a loop during the first few minutes of a drive.

Keep those Icons coming!!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
x038F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
x038F
Rennlist Member

Hey w00t: You should go in and edit the first post of each of these parts of the series with a link to the other 3 parts. Keep 'em tied together.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Very nice shots of the blue dash and burgundy dash (my favorite) to complement my brown dash on this thread. Great job. Whalebird..what can I say that post of yours is a class act. I am wondering if I should have you do introductory posts on this icon series. It makes for such a fascinating read (compared to a newbie like me) and I should have 038F do a separate editorial on how to keep the part being discussed clean (every part of his car looks factory fresh...keep up the great work). I am loving this; all of the members actively participating in this series. Thank you. That's what keeps me going. 038F, excellent idea on the links to keep the threads tied. I've edited the first post on this series to include the rest on this series and will provide the link to all other posts on the first thread.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 06-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

x038F - You should really clean up your interior prior to posting photos. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When did the Icon series reach Pt 4? I did not see this one coming. Beautiful post, WB.

And that's it!!! I'm not posting pics of my 911 interior any more. Ever!!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
x038F - You should really clean up your interior prior to posting photos.
Originally Posted by rusnak
....And that's it!!! I'm not posting pics of my 911 interior any more. Ever!!

Rusnak, I also feel that whalebird should do the introductory paragragh on this series. I personally feel that my description of these icons does not do enough justice.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
x038F
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
x038F - You should really clean up your interior prior to posting photos. Thanks.
I'm deeply sorry about that! I assume you are referring to the spot on the carpet and the fact the leather on the shift **** has not been touched up as seen here:

Next time I promise to do better.

Quick Reply: Icons that make up a 911 icon: Part 4