Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this the relay that goes bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this the relay that goes bad?

Doing some cleaning so I pulled the seat out of my 87 Targa
Is this the one that causes the headaches?
Should I just change it out? Probably orginal device.
also, whats that thing to the left of the relay? It looks like it has some kind of adjustment?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks to be a 89 production date on it......I'd change it out (However, I'd keep that around for sure).

Back when I checked mine, 5 years ago, I found the original there. Ordered 2 new ones (one to install and the other for the glovebox). Opened up the original, cleaned her up and reassembled,..placed in the "original parts box"...now , when I sell her, I can say that she comes with the original DME relay (kidding).

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Don't try to adjust the round thing. It is the elevation sensor, above a certain altitude it will enrichen the mixture.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

While there, I'd open up that DME to have a look/see.

Doyle
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have look/see at what Doyle? To see if there's a Wong chip in it?

What's your favorite Rush album? I don't care for much after Presto.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Altitude compensator.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would change it. Takes two minutes and about $20. Carry the old one as a spare.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Have look/see at what Doyle? To see if there's a Wong chip in it?

What's your favorite Rush album? I don't care for much after Presto.
Have a "look/see" at no signs of having had water in there,....or solder junctions,.....to verify what chip is in there,..to know (maybe you'll find a Wong!). On the other hand, not a big deal,...just leave her buttoned up, if you (OP) wish,..no harm (or data gathering) done.

Impossible for a RUSH disciple to choose a fav, as they all have their personalities (and the surrounding times in which the material was written). I kinda cringed when the keyboards came out but glad they experimented....

As to transitional pieces, no doubt, Moving Pictures is up there. (They be performing the entire Moving Pictures on the upcoming tour). I like 'em all for what they are (individually).

What else is a disciple to say?

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S4for5,

Back to the original question... I just changed my DME relay in advance of a recent road trip. I did this with the seat in place, just all the way back and all the way up.

When I did it, I first removed the 10mm nut that holds it down, then I tried to unplug the wiring harness and I had trouble getting it off with my hand sqeezed under the seat and not much leverage.

When I put my new one in, it dawned on me to hook the relay over the bolt *first* then use that as leverage when connecting the wiring harness plug back in place. It was a lot easier that way....

Next time I need to replace it I'll know better and it'll be easier. Just thought I'd pass that on for what it's worth.

Paul
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

My old DME relay was dated 1999 and still worked when I changed it just for insurance purposes..it's in my glove compartment.

It's fun to poke around and look at relays. When I changed my blinker relay behind the dash I found it was an Audi/VW unit (turned out not to be the source of the problem anyway).
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed mine, in my '88, and it seems to have cured my intermittent starting problem. Haven't driven enough to really know yet, but I haven't had the problem in the dozen times I've tried to start the car since changing the relay.

I found that when changing the relay, I had to have the seat up as high as it'll go, front and back, and have my left hand on the relay, from the front, right hand on the wiring harness, from the back. Then it was easy, just pull to uninstall the old, push to install the new. But it took me a ridiculous amount of time to figure that out--perhaps I'm as slow-witted as my wife claims I am. Anyway, I wish I'd've seen the picture above before I tried this.

One question. I had ordered the spare relay from Pelican a couple of years ago, and it was specified for my year of car. The old one, like the one in the pic, says 15A on it. The new one says 30A. Is that right? Or is the reason the new relay isn't tripping because it isn't getting enough current to trip, and it should be tripping and I'm going to take out something that the relay should be protecting.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not to worry

If the new one was incorrect the car would not run, the 30A number just means it can handle more current than the 15A
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

In my normally 'urgent' nature, I'd like to get a spare DME relay right away for a road trip tomorrow. Does anyone have part number so I won'd overwhelm the local parts boys?

Thanks in advance for guidance. If I had thought of this earlier, I'd have ordered from a sponsor.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a 993 part # IIRC. Do you have any good local Porsche shops? They should keep a few on the shelf.

Quick Reply: Is this the relay that goes bad?