911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

K/N Air Filter

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

I converted the K&N that came with my car back to a stock airbox. Suncoast in Sarasota was able to get me the whole setup...airbox, filter, and mounting hardware. I think it looks much better and I am happy with the performance.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by M491
Kooks & Nuts.

Bruce Anderson's dyno testing has shown it won't get you any additional power on a 3.2, as the dyno tests show the stock filter can already flow more than the engine can process (duh. Them porsch engeneers are smart! No make air filter too small).

Good rule of thumb - Don't replace your factory Porsche part with an aftermarket part unless you have solid proof that the aftermarket part is better than the factory part. Because almost all of the time, it isn't.

K&N is one of the greatest marketing companies of all time, though.
I don't recall ever stating my K&N cone is on for more power. As noted before, there are other reasons. My experience and inspections show it does indeed do it's job in filtration. It went on there for aesthetics and a clear engine bay. It is not the first, nor the last.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dump CIS and upgrade to PMO ITBs /EFI, a variety of other brand ITB's/EFI, and / or run PMO Carbs / or Webers. Then K&N are your only real choice for street use.... So they arent as bad as people claim if maintained. None of these people running PMO ITB's or Carbs have an issue. I have no issues with my PMO ITB's. The problem with K&N is that owners neglect them. That is not K&N's problem.

Do you run your Mobil 1 for 10k miles just because Mobil or your vehicle manufacturer says you can? So why would you clean the K&N on an extended cleaning schedule just because they claim you can? and then blame K&N. If you clean it every 3k miles along with your oil change, you will have NO issues.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Most of us dont run them for power...

I run them because I have PMO's... which does create more power...

I just love people that have opinions without any scientific basis.

Originally Posted by M491
Kooks & Nuts.

Bruce Anderson's dyno testing has shown it won't get you any additional power on a 3.2, as the dyno tests show the stock filter can already flow more than the engine can process (duh. Them porsch engeneers are smart! No make air filter too small).

Good rule of thumb - Don't replace your factory Porsche part with an aftermarket part unless you have solid proof that the aftermarket part is better than the factory part. Because almost all of the time, it isn't.

K&N is one of the greatest marketing companies of all time, though.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this thread was in referance to the drop in replacement in the stock air box. Carbs are a different deal, as well as the cone adapter things.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I have the Fabspeed airbox cover and K&N filter on my 89 Carrera as well as a complete K&N filter and plenum assembly on my F150 and K&N filtercharger systems on my ATV`s and dirtbikes.

Obviously you have to clean them and oil them often,that will always be to the owner`s discretion and i believe if kept in a clean state they do a wonderful job as well as ease access compared to the stock air filter systems !
Just my own opinion,guess it comes down to whatever works for you ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
Most of us dont run them for power...

I run them because I have PMO's... which does create more power...

I just love people that have opinions without any scientific basis.
Yes, I think we've strayed from the original premise that the question was based on.

No question that carbs produce more power, especially when paired with headers. An interesting question would be whether using paper filters on carbs would rob them of power. Early 911s had huge cylindrical paper filters that I can't imagine choking a 4 barrel Holly 1150 Dominator double pumper.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I would try a paper filter if someone actually produced one... but i guess the K&N works so well that all these racers and enthusiast and engine builders see no need to create a paper filter. every time something else works in a questionable way there are numerous companies/people/enthusiast who create alternatives (rod bolts, suspension parts, are just some examples)... None have been created to replace the K&N... over what? 20 years? Nuff Said.

My comments about PMO creating more power was in jest since that was the argument the poster made against using the K&N's... that they didnt make more power...

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yes, I think we've strayed from the original premise that the question was based on.

No question that carbs produce more power, especially when paired with headers. An interesting question would be whether using paper filters on carbs would rob them of power. Early 911s had huge cylindrical paper filters that I can't imagine choking a 4 barrel Holly 1150 Dominator double pumper.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

I would try a paper filter if someone actually produced one... but i guess the K&N works so well that all these racers and enthusiast see no need to create a paper filter. Nuff Said.
Brad:

And is some cases the extra flow of air they supply may actually be needed. But without empirical data to support either position it's just a verbal pissing contest.

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I agree. When I had CIS I used the stock filter. Now that I have PMO's, I use the K&N. Not because of more power. Not because of any problem with the paper... I use it because its the only filter available. why is it the only filter available is the more interesting question.

my only point is that all these naysayers talk about how the K&N ruined their engines... yet if you call an engine builder like Steve W, they will not only recommended the K&N, but they will install them on the 15k engine rebuild they just completed along with the PMO's with no issues. so to say K&N is ruining engines is ridiculous.

To each his own. There is no scientific proof on either side. But if there was a real issue with K&N's, someone would have produced a viable alternative in 20 years... and you wouldnt have 1000's of them sold with most users being positive when asked about their performance. where is the class action lawsuit? I can walk into my local honda dealer and pay hundreds to have it added to my honda as a performance upgrade. no warranty issues and actually installed by the dealer... whether it actually adds performance is a matter of debate. but the claims made on this board about ruined engines is user error.

The issue is way overblown... if the original poster wants to use K&N's and he maintains them, he will have no issues...

Just my .02.

Originally Posted by rockrimmon
Brad:

And is some cases the extra flow of air they supply may actually be needed. But without empirical data to support either position it's just a verbal pissing contest.

Tom

Last edited by Brads911sc; 05-21-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I don't know any engine builder that would reccomend a K&N over the stock pleated paper filter.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

You are probably right for stock systems.

However, that was not the argument others were making. Read the first 7 posts. The argument was that K&N ruined engines and didnt filter intake air properly... just not true statements...

Originally Posted by whalebird
I don't know any engine builder that would reccomend a K&N over the stock pleated paper filter.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Just to comment on K&N filters killing engines ... i installed my K&N filter system on my F150 in 98 when i bought it new and after 230,000 kms and 12 years of hauling boats,snowmobiles and ATV's, it's still running strong and doesn't use excessive amounts of oil,doesn't smoke and has great engine compression ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I also clean and oil twice a year-about every 2000 miles. In fact, too much oil, which will also grab more dust, is probably the biggest consequence. With a MAF, it can wreak havoc on the ssignal wire.
x2. I wouldn't have made the change to K&N from what I've read and my needs - but my car came w/ it when I bought it. Aesthetically more pleasing in the engine bay - and I haven't really been motivated to change it out. To others points, from what I gather, it doesn't do any better of a job w/ airflow than the paper for what's necessary for these cars. If you do decide to go the K&N route, stick to Ed's advice above (especially the " don't use too much oil" piece) and you should be OK.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I would try a paper filter if someone actually produced one... but i guess the K&N works so well that all these racers and enthusiast and engine builders see no need to create a paper filter. every time something else works in a questionable way there are numerous companies/people/enthusiast who create alternatives (rod bolts, suspension parts, are just some examples)... None have been created to replace the K&N... over what? 20 years? Nuff Said.

My comments about PMO creating more power was in jest since that was the argument the poster made against using the K&N's... that they didnt make more power...
Here's the BMC filter, which looks suspiciously like a K&N:
http://www.dynobike.com/bmc_airfilters.htm

I think most people who live in non-rural areas will have no problem with a K&N. But if you live in an area with lots of dust (not a racetrack) where dust swirls around and coats the inside of the engine compartment, you would do better with a paper filter and change it every year. I would not use a K&N in the summer around here, but in the winter, why not? K&N filters actually work better with a little bit of dirt trapped in them because the dirt helps to close up the gauze. My issue with gauze is that it lets too much dust through.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K/N Air Filter