Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Terrible smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Gberg964
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible smell

I have a 1988 911 targa 3.2. wits got just over 60k mils on 63,xxx to be exact, we literally stole it price wise about 4 years ago for just 18 grand, it had 52k on it back then.

Recently, while driving for more than an hour, a terrible smell develops and we think it is coming from the front left fender, ahead of the wheel. There s a hose that runs through there and smell is definitely coming from right next to the battery and below the fuse area. It only happens after about 45 minutes of driving...

Originally we thought the car was running rich and dumping fuel into the cat and burning it up, but that is not the case.

It is a terrible rooting eggs mixed with skunk smell... i would like to get it fixed this week so i can take the car on the Kanc Cruise this coming weekend...

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Your battery is being overcharged, SERIOUSLY SO, those fumes can be DANGEROUS in more ways than one.

Time to replace the alternator/regulator(internal) combination and then the battery.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Gberg964
AutoX

Really is the battery?

Can you explain what sort of reaction is happening or something?

How much should all that cost?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd best be checking your voltage, as your DME (in addition to the battery) will not like an excessive overvoltage condition.

I'd take a good look under that battery, as well.

Doyle
Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Listen carefully to the comment above as they are right on the money ... a fellow poster just posted his experience on this so look it up .. you are smelling the sulphur from the sulphuric acid as it gets boiled away ... get the battery out asap and flush the WHOLE area with a baking soda and water solution , then stick a hose in the front end and let it all flush through ... you need a new regulator or alternator ( as the regulator is built in ) . If you are handy this is a DIY job but if not get it in quick. You can even just pull the alternator yourself and have it repaired , do a search on alternator and lots will come up .
Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Gberg964
AutoX

Thank you very much.

I will pull the battery and wash the area down tomorrow.

As for the alternator... ill have to either look up a DIY or bring it to a shop. Its up for the 60k maintenance so i might just have it all done at once and forego doing it myself...

What is required for the 60k scheduled maintenance?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

First thing you can do is check the voltage with an ohmeter when the car is running,if you have more than 14 volts indicating you have a problem with the voltage regulator/alternator and you need to replace it .
What was mentioned above about washing the battery area should be a priority if the battery leaked anything in the trunk compt !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 05-08-2010, 08:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those fumes are also very explosive. The battery acid can get everywhere and cause the front trunk area to rust years later.

Get the alternator out and change the regulator. Not a hard job but requires fingertip control on the re-installation of the alternator.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

60 K service on a Carrera ? ,,, man that was so long ago for me that the guy who did it I am sure is dead now ..
But can't be TOO complex , i imagine oil and filter, gas filter, gear box and brake fluid change, inspect the brakes and do a valve adjust .. might be a good idea to ask first .. then deicide if it is worth doing yourself ( which of course it will be )
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Not a bad time to replace the whole enchilada if you're pulling the alternator anyway.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Gberg964
AutoX

I think it involves readjusting the valves among other things...

does the 3.2 have a timing chain or a belt?

Is the tensioner known to go (Belt)?

Anything else i should be checking or doing on a regular basis besides driving it good and hard?

PS. Possibly going on a long cruise this weekend, anything i should prepare for or bring, check yada yada yada...
Old 05-09-2010, 01:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well I sure hope your gonna fix your overcharging issue before going on any cruise. All 911s have chains and it is a good a sturdy one so no real issues there. The chain tensioners are hydraulic but certainly not a maintanance item and it they started to go bad you would hear it so don't be too paranoid.
If your not mechanically inclined having the valves adjusted is a good start for a new owner , as you get more confident with your car you can tackle it yourself later. if you have no documentation it has been done it gives you a good starting point.
The cars are really rock solid and just make sure you have a spare alternator belt in your tool kit ( although yours will be new if your redoing your alt ) . Also might be a good idea to keep a spare DME relay that plugs in under the drivers seat. One day if your car ever just decides to just " not start" this is always a good thing to have. ( think you may need the 10mm wrench out of your kit to install. )
Other than that if your tire pressure is good and the gas in your tank is good then your good to go . i always carry a flashlight ( even a small maglite) in my side pocked just in case but fortunately i have only needed it when I have dropped my keys at night
Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gberg964
I think it involves readjusting the valves among other things...

does the 3.2 have a timing chain or a belt?

Is the tensioner known to go (Belt)?

Anything else i should be checking or doing on a regular basis besides driving it good and hard?

PS. Possibly going on a long cruise this weekend, anything i should prepare for or bring, check yada yada yada...
I was referring to replacing the entire alternator and not just the regulator since it will be out.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

As Ed points out I would definitely do that or have yours rebuilt by a shop. ( new slip rings, diode bridge maybe , bearings and bench testing.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

.. and I would have to say the only thing that smells worse than that is this stinking gear oil .... YUK !!

Quick Reply: Terrible smell