Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Total Newbie In Search Of Advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrimmon
Would love to find an original shift **** for my 88 G50. Mine came with an aftermarket **** and I don't like it. Where's the best place to get an original, or at least original looking one?

tom
I got mine from Pelican Parts last week for $50 something. I also got the plastic insert to go on top put found the old one came out easily without damage. The leather was torn on mine - money well spent as the interior was great except for the ****.

P.S. Nice looking car!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Question: ROW Ride Height

I need some input from you guys. The PO of my 88 told me he had the car set to ROW. He wasn't sure exactly how much lower this was over stock (for the US cars) but thought it was about 1". Does anyone know the difference?

Last weekend when we were out with our friends who have a 1985 911 wide body (M-491?) he asked me about the ROW after I mentioned it. We did not have a tape measure or any other sort of measuring device handy but our cars sure looked to be the same height. He's the original owner and has never lowered the car. His car has, no kidding, 24K miles on it.

So, either:

1. 85 Widebodies came lowered already.
2. My car was never lowered.
3. The ROW height is so small that it's not apparent with the naked eye.

I'm sure someone/everyone here but me knows the answer to this.

Thanks.

Tom

PS: I found the original shift **** for my car in my box of spare parts I was given. I like the **** itself but would like to have the top piece, the plastic "plug", have a Porsche emblem and not the shift pattern. Can these be had?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Your car looks a bit lowered, but nothing drastic. I'm thinking 1/2" or so? Probably 25 3/4" to the front fender lip, 25 1/4" at the rear.

Porsche only offered the gear pattern for the **** top, AFAIK.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

PS: I found the original shift **** for my car in my box of spare parts I was given. I like the **** itself but would like to have the top piece, the plastic "plug", have a Porsche emblem and not the shift pattern. Can these be had?
You're doing better then I am if you're ready for a crest. I drive a Honda and Subaru primarily so often look for reverse to the right of 4th gear. The last car I had with a reverse by first was an '84 Golf Gti and that was many years ago.

Your BMW picture took me down memory lane. I've had 5 of them over the years and even strapped a couple of sidecars to them for fun. Nothing like getting a sidecar airborn with a passenger. I only rode them in the winter for their shaft drives and sturdiness then come spring it would be relegated to the back of the garage. Every winter they would just work again! And work is what it was - like riding a tractor. The spoked wheel models were certainly nicer on the road. I had an '83 RT (fairing removed) with 85 thousand miles and the only time it broke something was a clutch cable. . . . 100 mph on those things is scary.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need some input from you guys. The PO of my 88 told me he had the car set to ROW. He wasn't sure exactly how much lower this was over stock (for the US cars) but thought it was about 1". Does anyone know the difference?

Last weekend when we were out with our friends who have a 1985 911 wide body (M-491?) he asked me about the ROW after I mentioned it. We did not have a tape measure or any other sort of measuring device handy but our cars sure looked to be the same height. He's the original owner and has never lowered the car. His car has, no kidding, 24K miles on it.

So, either:

1. 85 Widebodies came lowered already.
2. My car was never lowered.
3. The ROW height is so small that it's not apparent with the naked eye.

I'm sure someone/everyone here but me knows the answer to this.

Thanks.

Tom

vertical distance of center of torsion bar up to wheel/axle center

US spec 99mm Euro spec 108mm

9mm different, not much.

FWIW, I looked at both those car too when I was recently looking for a car.

Quick Reply: Total Newbie In Search Of Advise