SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had it for about 7 years now, so I'm not sure if it was available previously and I'm grandfathered in?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase! What a gorgeous 911!!

I use Hagerty for my '84 Carerra and have been very happy with them. I too was a bit concerned with the mileage limit, but it turns out that I actually drive considerably less than 5K a year with that car anyway, so no worries. The picture of the odometer will be taken by you, btw.

I use State Farm for the 996 and the Cayman, since they're our daily drivers.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Dave don't you need appraisal for agreed value ? here in Canada you do .
Really? It must be different in the states. I've insured 3 cars with them and was never asked for an appraisal.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Insurance - State Farm

Decided NOT to go with Hagerty. Entirely too much paperwork and hoops to go through right now for them. Yes, the declared value is great... but the limitations on mileage and all the other stuff is too much for now. Maybe later.

Engaged with my State Farm agent today and discussed options. Here's what I ended up with:

- Standard full coverage policy - 100/300/50 - Comp, Collision, Medical, towing, etc..
- $500 deductibles for comp and collision.
- $0 deductible for Glass (useful here in Colorado for sure).
- Towing included. (I normally don't get that - It's $2.50 per 6 months).
- Limit of 7500 miles per year. That should be fine. If I go over I'm still covered. It's not an absolute.
- Cost is $304.49 per 6 months. Or about $609 for the year. That's $50.74 per month.

I am 53 and no tickets or accidents in 10 years. So all the usual discounts have been applied. I know insurance rates are dependent on a ton of factors but I can deal with $50 a month. I can also rent a garage in the winter and stash my 911 there if I want with State Farm. Not so with Hagerty.

One more item completed.

Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Tango635
Racer

Congratulations!! Very nice car.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom,
Congrats on the new 911. I have had Hagerty for years and never had a problem. What's important is you are comfortable with your decision. Like you said, "one more item completed". So you've got the car, insurance is done and the books are on order. May I offer two suggestions; Griot's Garage (car care products to make that guards red POP) and join your local PCA club. Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Originally Posted by 79 Euro
Tom,
Congrats on the new 911. I have had Hagerty for years and never had a problem. What's important is you are comfortable with your decision. Like you said, "one more item completed". So you've got the car, insurance is done and the books are on order. May I offer two suggestions; Griot's Garage (car care products to make that guards red POP) and join your local PCA club. Enjoy!
Andy:

Thanks. I actually won't have the car (in my possession) until this Saturday at 11 am. But that's a technicality.

As far as car care, I need to learn everything. My hiking partner is a P-owner (Boxter) and likes the Griot's garage stuff. I know zip. I need to read a book or something or attend a local PCA session where they help newbies understand the basics. Is there a good book I could read to learn? In the past I just used a Carnuba wax once per year on most of my cars and not much on the inside. I need to treat my leather inside right away as it is a bit dry (comments from PPI).

PCA: I joined yesterday. I'm on the intersection of two different local groups but ended up going with the one I should based on my zip code. So I think that's taken care of as well.

RennList: I paid for a membership to Rennlist as it's provided so much useful info in the last 6 months when I was just a lurker.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Misc Question - What does that missing **** do?

The picture below is not my car but I think it's a Carerra as well due to the larger air conditioning vents. On the dash, there is a "blank" space where a **** could be. What goes there? The space to the right of the (I think) Fog Light switch, and to the left of the (I think) cigarette lighter switch. I recall the 911SC I drove had something there. But this picture, and my 88 Carerra as well has a blank. Just curious.

Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Rear window defrost.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Rear window defrost.
Ed:

Thanks. Referring to the picture again, it looks like a "defrost' symbol on the top right of the ***** at the floor mounted controls above what appears to be the A/C controls. Did P just relocated the **** down there but leave the space on the dash?

T.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

At some point-maybe '86 when they went to the bigger vent. I have the "missing" **** in my '84.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Misc Question - What does that missing **** do?

nothing .. cause it's missing ..
Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Congratulations! Cool thread to follow so far and looks like a nice result for you.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Maintenance Status

Poudre Sports Car called today with status of the maintenance I asked them to perform:

1. Valve adjust and new valve cover gaskets: Done.
2. Oil and oil filter change: Done.
3. Air filter replaced: Done.
4. Fuel filter replaced: Done.
5. Leak at oil pressure sender: Done.

Missed:

1. They forgot to repair the leak in the clutch slave cylinder line. Not sure why. It was on the estimate. They will get the new part (the line) tomorrow and then install it and bleed the system. Minor leak but would rather have it done now. My guess is that uses Dot 4? No biggie as we're due for some snow tomorrow and the current owner won't drive the car home from the shop in the snow. Do 911's behave that badly in snow?

Future / Soon maintenance:

1. Replace brake fluid. Was listed as "fair" on PPI. Not sure to do it or have it done. Also not sure what brand to use yet. But will learn that shortly.

Tom

Quick Reply: Total Newbie In Search Of Advise