Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Total Newbie In Search Of Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

If they're doing a new line-then just have them flush the brakes. It's a shame you're spending money on these maintenance items. They really are quite simple, and would allow you to learn more about the workings of your car.

Snow? Look where these cars came from. I think snow was considered in design, given stock ride height and proper tires.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If they're doing a new line-then just have them flush the brakes. It's a shame you're spending money on these maintenance items. They really are quite simple, and would allow you to learn more about the workings of your car.

Snow? Look where these cars came from. I think snow was considered in design, given stock ride height and proper tires.
Ed:

It's all about time and money. Right now my work life is pretty busy with travel and projects and I have less time than it takes. I also tend to be a very careful, process driven, slow learner on a new vehicle. I'm willing this one time to have someone do my dirty work. Then take the summer and fall to learn how to do things right.

Good idea on the brakes. Perhaps I'll call tomorrow and ask them to do the brake fluid as the car will be up on the lift anyway.

Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom it is not that they "behave badly in the snow" but even with "right tires" it can be a little bit of handful due to rear engine (lot of weight), rear wheel drive, and a lot of power.

Just got through my first CO winter with my car, had all season tires on and commute 75 miles RT each day. Some snowy days, just took got the car to the bus station and that was a long enough drive for me. First snow storm drive, reminded me of my first DE event...thrilling!

By this weekend when you get the car it will be beautiful in CO to drive.

Look forward to meeting you at one of the Rocky Mountain PCA events
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob Heath
Tom it is not that they "behave badly in the snow" but even with "right tires" it can be a little bit of handful due to rear engine (lot of weight), rear wheel drive, and a lot of power.

Just got through my first CO winter with my car, had all season tires on and commute 75 miles RT each day. Some snowy days, just took got the car to the bus station and that was a long enough drive for me. First snow storm drive, reminded me of my first DE event...thrilling!

By this weekend when you get the car it will be beautiful in CO to drive.

Look forward to meeting you at one of the Rocky Mountain PCA events
Rob:

Thanks for the input. I live in Colorado Springs but work in Broomfield. Only come to the office 1-2 days per week and work from home or travel a lot. So, not likely at all that I'd ever use the 911 to go to work. And would never leave it at the DIA airport parking lot. Shudder. I have a modern car for that.

So, my goal would be for the car never to see snow if it can be avoided. The fact that I used to have an Audi TT with AWD kind of spoiled me in that regards but the 911 is just my old-man scenic drive car.

As to the PCA, I'm technically in the ALP region and when I specified the Rocky Mountain region on my application the very nice PCA membership lady let me know I should try ALP first. No idea if I'm allowed to participate in both clubs or not? Would love to come to a track day and observe.

Tom
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Hagerty Insurance - Take II

After speaking with Hagerty yesterday I told them I needed to re-consider and wanted to speak to my State Farm agent. Which I did. They called back again today to see if they could close the deal. The guy on the phone was really nice but stressed over and over that they weren't really comfortable with me driving the car even 5000 miles per year. Asked me if I could limit myself to 3500 miles per year. I stressed that I live in Colorado and that for 6 months of the year the car was likely to be parked in the garage. For the other 6 months I do want to drive it a bit and even a short drive to the mountains and back from my home was 50-100 miles RT. An overnight trip to Crested Butte or Breck or such would be 400-500 miles. He stressed again that Hagerty's was an insurance company for "Collector Cars" and that if I drove my car as much as 5000 miles per year the value of my car would fall to a level where they would not consider it a collector car. I said I really doubted if the value of my 22 year old 911 would drop that much if I put another 20K miles on it in 4-5 years. He said he disagreed. At that point I told him I was no longer interested in Hagerty.

I did feel a bit bad that I didn't just tell him up front that I had selected State Farm as I know I could cancel State Farm with a single call and move to Hagerty. I had even told my SF agent the same. They are fine with that. I got the very distinct impression that my intended use of the car didn't fall within Hagerty's "collector use envelope". His words.

So, in my case maybe my 22 year old beater 911 really isn't a collectors car. I didn't get it for that purpose at all. I only considered Hagerty's for the declared value but in all other regards they fall short. IMHO.

Summary:

State Farm: Full coverage. 7500 mile limit per year and if I go over they are okay. Cost: $610 per year. Payment is made monthly like all of our other cars and motorcycles (don't ask!). No limited mileage is about $720 per year if I absolutely wanted to drive it every single day. I can park it wherever I want and can even put it in a rented garage somewhere else in the winter. Which I may do if I can find an affordable one. It comes with a $0 Glass Deductible which means I can get a new windshield for $0 if it is broken.

Hagerty: Full coverage, $497 per year. 5000 mile limit per year but strongly suggested they'd be happier at 3500. Must provide pictures of car, copies of other items, etc.. Payment is made annually. Car needs to live in my garage at all times when not being driven.

Just thought I'd toss that out there in case anyone else is in the same position as me. If I ever buy a real collector car I would consider Hagerty again. But I don't think a 1988 Carerra falls into their "envelope"

Tom

Last edited by rockrimmon; 05-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Default Read to Close The Deal

Final repair to the Carerra was completed today. The old clutch slave cylinder line was replaced with new and then bled. Just a minor leak but now it's good as new. Bill paid.

The seller is going to bring the car back to his house tomorrow and get it spiffed up. My wife and I are meeting them at 11 AM on Saturday to exchange the remaining $$ for car and title. I'm a bit excited. If I wasn't suffering through a head cold and a killer week at work I'd be even more sleepless.

Made a trip to the bank today to get a big wad of cash. Was going to do a wire transfer of the remaining $15.5K but our bank said some receiving banks can take up to 5 days to "place" the money in the recipients account despite the transfer being instantaneous. Weird. So, cash it is.

I haven't even brought this car home yet and I'm into it for a bit > $1000 for the PPI and maintenance items. Jeesh. That old saying I keep hearing here that all 911's are $25K 911's may be true. Not complaining.

Tom

PS: I get the feeling that having a 911 is kind of like having a new pool in your backyard. Several of my guy friends have hinted that we should get together for a beer at my house soon to "catch up". Uh huh.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Time for new friends with P-cars, or something nice, that like to go driving.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 AM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Time for new friends with P-cars, or something nice, that like to go driving.
Ed:

Have lots of friends with P cars now. Neighbor with the 97 Turbo. Work friend with a 2008 Turbo. Work friend with an old late 70's 930. And my hiking partner has a Boxster (S I think). Also a bunch of other motor heads in my hood with stuff hidden in garages as well. I think an R8 just moved in up the street. I won't lack company as soon as they see that tail inside my garage door one weekend day.

Next up is to learn the art of cleaning, waxing, and softening my leather seats which need work.

Tom
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
rockrimmon
Advanced

I am visualizing this view come Saturday noon. Trying to focus at work is hard.

Tom
Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd say next up is learning the art of driving the car. You've not had the chance to fully experience ownership until you do.

The cleaning and waxing stuff isn't that hard when starting with a good condition car. There are websites like this that deal with detailing.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockrimmon
I am visualizing this view come Saturday noon. Trying to focus at work is hard.

Tom
The tach and speedo are reading incorrectly.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 AM
rockrimmon
Advanced

The tach and speedo are reading incorrectly.

???
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Tach needle should be at the 1:00+ position and the speedo >0.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

he means it is stationary ... you should be driving it

Normally i don't like the jazed up guages but that looks quite tastefull and matches the wheel
Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
TTownThomas
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the car that had the carfax "inconsistent odometer"? That is pretty common and usually a typo. If you call carfax they will research it for you. (at least they do for us-I'm a car dealer)

Furthermore I just bought my first 911 last summer. Very enjoyable! It is so much fun to learn how to drive a car with so much personality.

Quick Reply: Total Newbie In Search Of Advise