Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

love it or hate it, porsche outlaw

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 910s at Laguna last year were lapping about the same as my stock class RSA club racer on Hoosiers. But they were running grooved slicks. On regular slicks at Thunderhill, with the low compression 2.7RS engine, I can run 4-5 sec/lap slower than the Radical. (Which is 7-8 sec/lap quicker than said RSA.) The car is a WORKOUT, however. I honestly don't know how the guys in their day ran the long stints in the endurance races, let alone the stuff like Targa or Mille Miglia. And there wasn't any thought given to working out or physical conditioning back then.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
What a tremendous pursuit Ken. I guess I could understand the marriage going to hell statement, but replicating those cars to the n-th degree would seem like a lifetime achievement.
Car didn't cause it. Was him looking for refuge when she was out running around on him............
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And there wasn't any thought given to working out or physical conditioning back then.
Or staying sober the night before.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Both RR3 and the Monterey Historics last year were sensual treats for me, when it came to quantities of prototype P-cars on the track, driven in anger. Most of the owners, or their hired guns, run them pretty hard. I think there were about 15 962/956's at RR3................ Throw in some 917's, a 917-30, 936, and some other cars, and WOW. Then, there were the 935's...
I was in heaven too! At one point on Saturday, Robert's feet were really REALLY hurting so I left him under the tent and walked up the corkscrew and 3/4 of the track just to be closer to the sounds. I didn't realize the time.... I was gone for couple of hours and eventually found him again with a vendor friend and by then he was ready to walk around paddocks with me.

Yup, it was heaven!!!!!

917's.... they just excite me to no end
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

917's.... they just excite me to no end [/QUOTE]

We can see that!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be great to have a get together at Laguna. I remember the mad screetch of the Judd V-10 about 10 years ago or so. I think the smell of burnt race gas is an aphrodisiac.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
whalebird
Race Car

The epic development of the Porsche motorsports thru the late seventies is an amazing story of men and their machines. I am equally enthralled with the GT40 program from that era(60s). However, for Porsche, it is hard to put parenthesis around this time as many do. The battle of the silver arrows, and the men who drove them is amazing. The Auto Union in hillclimb form... great God. Those cars were 650+ hp and 250+ mph in the 30s, turbocharged, think of where tire technology was at the time and you know that Rosemeyer,Carrachiolla, Fangio, etc had a set of stones. It was serious when Benz spent the night scraping the paint off the 125.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Have you read "Go like Hell"? It is the story of Ford vs Ferrari to win Le Mans with the GT40 program. Just finished it the other night-great read.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I should read that Ed. The Ford GT in all of it's forms is the most seductive car I have ever seen.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rjt
917's.... they just excite me to no end
We can see that!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Verde
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bet. I am old enough to have watched the LeMans win in the 60's on a small b&w tv, on ABC WWoS days after it happened. Then amazingly, some time later while riding my bicycle on the streets of Brooklyn, N.Y. I came across one of the few street-legal GT40's parked on the street. I visited it every day for a month. Then one day, it was gone. But it made as strong an imprint on me as a mother duck to a hatchling.
So when Ford built the re-creation of it in 2005-2006 I knew I had to have one. White with blue stripe just like the one in France and in Brooklyn. After 3 years I still peek in the garage to see it a few times per day. Having it parked next to a 1988 white Porsche Turbo makes me realize how lucky I am.

I should read that Ed. The Ford GT in all of it's forms is the most seductive car I have ever seen.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BPG_Austin
The vintage 550's have a tube frame vs. the Beck ladder frame. Vintage spyders are, IMO, of a higher build quality. My first 'porsche' or kitcar if you want, was a vintage spyder. It was blazing fast and I didn't know how to drive it properly at the time. They are serious cars. Mine had a 165 hp Jake Raby Type 1. The car weighed less than 1300 lbs. As far as kitcars go, the spyders really are amazing. Not quite like those 910s above, but realistic in price for the average Joe. I especially like when the proper windscreen is installed instead of the bulky looking speedster winshields most cars have.
I love this car ! Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by BPG_Austin
...Vintage spyders are, IMO, of a higher build quality...
I am looking for a Vintage 550 Spyder as my first choice, a Thunder Ranch Spyder as my second choice, or a Beck Spyder if I can find nothing better.

I'm not having much luck locating anything of quality here on the East Coast. Most of the cars that seem worthwhile are out West, but I'd really like to find something close to home.
So if anyone can point me towards one I'd really appreciate it.

--Chuck--
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedbump2
I am looking for a Vintage 550 Spyder as my first choice, a Thunder Ranch Spyder as my second choice, or a Beck Spyder if I can find nothing better.

I'm not having much luck locating anything of quality here on the East Coast. Most of the cars that seem worthwhile are out West, but I'd really like to find something close to home.
So if anyone can point me towards one I'd really appreciate it.

--Chuck--
If you are seriously looking at the real thing, you'll probably have to go wherever it may be to get the right one.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you are seriously looking at the real thing, you'll probably have to go wherever it may be to get the right one.
You're right, but I'm just lazy

Ideally, I'm looking for something that's around 80% complete, that I can finish at home.
But most of what I see for sale(even out west) are either complete basket cases, or well-appointed finished cars.
And mostly Becks as well.

I'm in no hurry, so maybe time will be on my side.

--Chuck--

Quick Reply: love it or hate it, porsche outlaw