Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

just changed out the fuel tank filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010 | 06:57 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Yeap,..did 6 years with that non-profit organization...cut my teeth on comm electronics (narrowband and wideband) during those fruitful days in the far east (mostly) then back to GA where I finished up the final 1 1/2 years hitting TDYs in the middle East, Honduras and a few other spots that I can't mention....

Hope you and yours' are doing well, Bird.

Best,

Doyle
Hmmm, we probably crossed paths in the USAF. SHF Maintenance? Radar Maint guy here...did a a few rotations to Tegucigalpa in the 80s and Swan Island in the 90s.

And not to hijack the thread, I will check my tank filter as well as replace the fuel filter.
Old 12-15-2010 | 07:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

OK, here's a really easy way to inspect the inside of your tank.

1. Drive car until the fuel reserve light kicks on.
2. Pull back carpet at left rear corner of trunk until you can see fuel gauge sender (picture below is of the same part that I just put in my 914).
3. Pull off wire harness and remove nuts/screws and pull sender from tank - do this slowly because it will have gasoline inside it that must drain from a tiny hole in its housing.
4. Look into tank through sender hole - a small mag lite will help.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2010 | 07:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

AH,..a top side view!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010 | 07:49 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

but,..with a camera...yeah?
Old 12-15-2010 | 08:28 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Default prevent water/rust in tank

Steve advised keeping a full tank to prevent rust/water in the tank. This is good advice including stored stuff over the winter. In areas like Texas where there may be a 70 degrees humid day and a cold front moves in and the temp drops 20 or 30 degrees, the low or empty fuel tank will make water. The humid air in the tank looses its ability to hold moisture as the temperature drops. The air releases the water and it goes to the bottom of the tank with temperature drop. This can be a 100 degree humid day with a cool off to 85 degrees. Try to keep all tank full all the time if you can.
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:02 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

All good advice.

When I took the sender out I could see into one side of the tank, but the fuel filter in the bottom is in it's own little baffled area with a lid clipped on to it. This helps maintain a quantity of fuel right over the pick up during cornering maneuvers. As such you can't see the filter from the sender hole. Only the very top surface of it (at least on mine).

I found most of my crud to be sitting on the floor around the filter. The fuel pick up from the filter to the pump is at the bottom and so there is a raised, sealed area all the way around the hole where the filter seals against. See first pic.

This is good because the fuel level must be approx 10mm deep before it can be sucked up by the pump. And as such, leaves an area around it that debris can sit without causing too much harm.

You will need to put your finger into the filter hole and feel around the bottom of the tank to find out if there is any Sh*t in there.

The second pic shows the 'top' of the baffled area that the filter locates in.
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

this is a very informative thread. Thank you for posting the description of the fuel pick up area in such detail.
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by psychoideas
All good advice.

When I took the sender out I could see into one side of the tank, but the fuel filter in the bottom is in it's own little baffled area with a lid clipped on to it. This helps maintain a quantity of fuel right over the pick up during cornering maneuvers. As such you can't see the filter from the sender hole. Only the very top surface of it (at least on mine).

I found most of my crud to be sitting on the floor around the filter. The fuel pick up from the filter to the pump is at the bottom and so there is a raised, sealed area all the way around the hole where the filter seals against. See first pic.
What year model tank/car are you working on???
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:58 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
What year model tank/car are you working on???
Mine's a 76
.................................it was a good year........................
Old 12-16-2010 | 10:35 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Pic of a new one, I think. As I has stated, removed one looked like the new one....

Doyle
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2010 | 01:44 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Pic of a new one, I think. As I has stated, removed one looked like the new one....

Doyle

Can I have your old one??
Old 12-17-2010 | 06:22 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Can I have your old one??
I always keep my old parts so I'm sure I have it and you, Sir, are most welcome to it. I would remind you that mine is for a 1989 , so I'll leave it up to you to research it's application in your backyard (wouldn't want to send you something that may not fit). If it does, I'll be more than happy to get it shipped out to you......not a problem.

Lemme know.

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-17-2010 | 12:42 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey, I looked up the part numbers for the fuel tank filter on PET for 1989 and 1976 cars, and they do match.

The tank filter part number is 911 201 141 00 and the o-ring is 911 201 143 00 - again, same numbers for both years.
Old 12-17-2010 | 05:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I would imagine my removed one was the original (1989) , and bet it's still good to go. As mentioned, I'll rift through my boxes and find it...............been a little while! I remember the O-ring looking quite robust (still).

Once I locate it, I'll drop a PM for your shipping address...I do have paypal (as you asked) but there will be no need to use it, as I've got the shipping expense on this one....(happy holidays).

On a sidenote, I love your country,..and it's people. Had a few visits (compliments of the USAF) to Perth,....have yet to see Sydney.......caught New Zealand (saw Pink Floyd there),..

Get back to you soon.

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 12-17-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2010 | 06:21 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Very cool of you Shepp. Seems like(on the early cars at least) that there is a "sock" that covers the screen filter-a very fine mesh prefilter. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Congrats Shepp - I wish my grandad played drums.

Quick Reply: just changed out the fuel tank filter