Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

just changed out the fuel tank filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gez Frank-looks like you've been to the beach! Guess I better add this to my To-Do list. Didn't know I even had a filter in there.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 AM
whalebird
Race Car

As these cars get older, this can certainly be a problem. In diagnosis, fuel pressures are a main focus, often overlooking the fuel "volume" test.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Once the tank has been flushed, is there any recommended treatment for the inside of the tank that can be done? I know POR makes a coating for tank inners, but I'm not sure if there are any issues unique to 911 tanks...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Hey Doyle,

I've vacuumed as much out of there as I could, both from the top and from the bottom.
I wouldn't recommend using a vacuum on the interior of a gas tank.

Sparks from the electric motor and gas fumes mix very well to go BOOOM! (unless you're using an air pressure fed vacuum)

Phil
Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I wouldn't recommend using a vacuum on the interior of a gas tank.

Sparks from the electric motor and gas fumes mix very well to go BOOOM! (unless you're using an air pressure fed vacuum)

Phil
G'day Phil,

Thanks for your concern. Risk assessment and Hazard analysis are a couple of my specialties!!

I did use an electric vacuum. The tank sat empty with it's holes open for quite some time in the sun, in 30 Degree (C) heat. The vacuum was far away as I used a smaller diameter plastic hose taped into the end of of it.

I got to the point where I couldn't flush the lumps of dirt from the baffled chamber where the pick up is. So I was prepared to sacrifice my shop vac on the back lawn with a controlled explosion.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

An eye-opener for me. I now long to remove this and boroscope the tank. Maybe a clean filter removal doesn't necc'y ensure a tank cleanliness! I feel like running a full tank down then get my fuel filter changed....I do frequently change my fuel filter (in fact, annually,..just me)..

Those pics of the tank scare the sheeit out of me...could you imagine that debris floating around? Is that stuff heavy enough to stay at the bottom while pumping gas through? Or does it become floating within and throughout the gas....(I don't know,..others may chime)....

I usually keep my tank quite fulll,..just protocol...being down South, I don't "winterize" nor tuck the car away for a winter,..she can certainly be driven throughout the season (for me, dependent upon temp)...

NO DOUBT, be safe around fuel.

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 79 Euro
Gez Frank-looks like you've been to the beach! Guess I better add this to my To-Do list. Didn't know I even had a filter in there.
G'day Andy,

Funny you should say about the Beach. My car originally can from Palm Springs in CA.

When I got it, it was full of sand...............I mean, FULL OF SAND

I have an electrolux vacuun cleaner that I use for the garage. I filled the bag on it twice, with sand, from the area where the sunroof slides back into
I don't remember how much came out of the rest of the car. I can still grab a piece of carpet (not installed) and beat it to have sand come out of it.
When I took the tank out, sand was trickling out of the chassis still.

In saying that, the stuff coming out of the tank is "super fine". When it dries properly, it feels like Talcum Power between your fingers. Most of it must be fine silt that has accumulated in the fuel over the years.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Doyle,

All the stuff in my tank was lying on the bottom. But my filter was pretty cruddy when I took it out.

I'm guessing if your filter was clean, there's nothing floating around in your tank for the filter to catch

Mine was like trying to draw fuel from the swamp!

Last edited by psychoideas; 12-15-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've changed my fuel sender twice in the 911, once in the 914-6 over the years.

I usually look down into the tank at that time, and have seen nothing but a clean tank. I don't know how much of the tank I'm looking at, but it seems this view affords a pretty good look see.

Sounds like desert sand in the tank and carpets. That stuff is way more fine than beach sand.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

You got that right, Rusnak! I'll never forget my USAF days in the middle East (esp. Oman)...sand so fine, it would blow right through the filters in our comm equipment. Also pretty tough getting a good ground in the "dessert"
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I had a customer with a 964 he purchased from the southwest. Every nook and cranny was caked with FINE granular dust. The car cleaned up well however.

Shepp, didn't know you were in the service, thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yeap,..did 6 years with that non-profit organization...cut my teeth on comm electronics (narrowband and wideband) during those fruitful days in the far east (mostly) then back to GA where I finished up the final 1 1/2 years hitting TDYs in the middle East, Honduras and a few other spots that I can't mention....

Hope you and yours' are doing well, Bird.

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Doing very well Shepp. Kid should be here in less than a month...still no names chosen(girl).
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you guys have been "chewing" on a "few" names!!!!!!!!!!

I just found out 2 weeks ago that I'm gonna' be a Grandfather......man, how I first felt the reality of time and mortality when I heard the news,..THEN (of course) to being excited, anxious, happy, etc...

Very happy for you, Bird. I guess this means we'll need another ticket to the RUSH show....(wow,..I can't say that I saw RUSH when I was 2 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Back to being technical...I wish that I had been the one to change out my filter, as I would have (intuitively) have looked very closely within the tank......Being in the medical field, as well, I've access to an older video unit that was used for colonoscopies...far better specs and capabilities than something non-medical (for the most part, that is)...great video,..with decent reach.

I remember the wrench greeeting me in the shop's parking lot to show me HOW CLEAN this filter was. I remember being tied to the frikin' cell phone that day (dealing with prima-donna band members) and having little conversation with the tech and the owner. I should of asked him if he "did" anything beyond changing the filter....my bad. It kinda' speaks to the ownership requirements (rewards) of these cars:::::nothing like doing it yourself.

My car has recently had a few moments where she throttles down when throttle is applied (interstate), then recover (different thread to be),..I read this stuff that Frank encountered,..I'm thinkin',....mmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Now, I've the desire to pull the filter, get my buddies video rig,...pour more gas through the tank (and watch),..then KNOW what the hey is inside.....!!!!!!!! When the time comes, I should video it,..as it would be an ""in-place"" inspection,...no removals....This would be a good thing to add to my "electronic
files" of maintenance (my spreadsheets),...a VIDEO!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, Frank has me interested! I would hope he's right, in that there's probably nothing there....

anywaze.........

My new fuel filter will go on this weekend and now Frank has me scheming on cutting the damned thing open and have a look!!!! This fuel filter is changed out yearly (BTW), never having exceeded 6K miles.

I have ALWAYS kept as much gas as possible in the tank,..at all times. I don't think she gets below 1/2 tank EVER. Here lately,last month or so,..she's first seen ~1/4 tank levels..mmmm?

I think I'm OK,..but don't "know" that it's perfect.

Happy Holidays to all!!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I would add that I DID (way back when I first bought her) let the gauge show me that the reserve light worked (almost empty,...a few gallons left?),..and it did. I've not let her live with less than a half of a tank since (until this past month....)

just a clarification..

Quick Reply: just changed out the fuel tank filter