Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another longhood for export

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another longhood for export

On its way back home, or thereabouts, I suppose. Friend's dad bought this one in '78. Was the first 911 I ever rode in. Wasn't directly responsible for me getting one a couple of years later, but was an influence. Friend picked it up from his dad after he had a stroke about 10 years ago but never drove it. Then financial trouble hit him in '08, so I loaned him money against it. No way he was able to dig himself out of his hole, so I crossed paths with a guy who exports them, $15K changed hands, and I'm waiting for a tow truck to haul it off.

100% rust free, nearly always stored indoors '73 1/2 T with factory A/C and S trim. 117K original miles. But it's a targa and Sepia Brown. Won't be missed; won't ever find another like it that I'll care to buy (though my '73 1/2 coupe sitting around is likewise 100% rust free).
Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

And you're telling us now? Why?.........
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea...that car could have a good home right here. 15K - you're yanking our chain.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Yea...that car could have a good home right here. 15K - you're yanking our chain.
Well, no one here locally was interested even at $10K.

I've been involved with 911's for almost 30 years, since I was 18 and had a broken engine on a '68. I don't "yank chains"..........................................
Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Wow. Sepia is a hard sale, but that is a pretty car. I would love to have a 73.5 with mods in mind. I hope it finds a good home.
I really like the early cars for all the right reasons, and the color is the least of my concern. The investor market is all over the map, but I guess that is a tricky little car to move. As lackluster as it may be, I am sure that little car can make you grin.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

If it was worth it to keep it and bring it back to life, I would have. Not like I don't have everything from suspension, to engine, to transaxle just laying around. It could have been a 3.2 with 930 brakes/upgraded suspension and 7" wheels for what's in inventory. But for me, life's moved past the torsion bar cars. Even with all that, I couldn't see getting this car "nice" for less than $7-10K + my time. Only thing I wouldn't personally have done was paint it. I HATE painting cars.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I can understand completely. I don't like painting either.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Well, no one here locally was interested even at $10K.

I've been involved with 911's for almost 30 years, since I was 18 and had a broken engine on a '68. I don't "yank chains"..........................................
Ken was it listed here for 10? I honestly never look for stuff like that here. My first Porsche memory was pretty much that car. Damn
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

It was floated around in the R Gruppe/early 911 community here for the past year. I didn't make any money on this deal, I merely loaned my friend $10K against the car 1.5 years ago. I recouped that, plus the tires and other misc. parts costs I put into it to make it drivable. Friend got the rest. It was happenstance that I crossed paths with a guy who exports early 911's and other stuff.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Some would say you should have listed it for 30K for it to sell. Anyway...bridge/H2O. It's nice you were able to help a friend and recoupe(targa pun) your investment. The market is crazy on early cars and this one is a bit odd - CIS/targa/sepia. East come - easy go. I am a bit like you race911 in that the torsion bar cars can be lumped into one pile and, of the group, I am most emotional about the early cars. I appearantly am not the only one who feels this way seeing the market on these cars where it is. Of all the early cars, a screaming S is where my money would be, then with that kind of money one is in the 97 C4S ball park and thats when the emotion gives way. You probably made a fair deal on a fair car and everyone is happy.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

I've seen enough in the (now) $25K range, and this car could be there with paint and minor mechanical reconditioning. But, as I said earlier, that would easily be $7K+. More power to those who are getting $30K+ for CIS T Targas. No buyers like that within "the community" came knocking.

Anyway, an early "S" has blown through what a decent C4S is worth. Mine is maybe a $35K car. The S I mentioned in the other thread, the one I tracked and was ready to race 10 years ago, was recently listed by the guy who bought it from me for $60K. Cosmetically it was no better than this Targa when I sold it to him in '01. '73 sunroof coupe, silver, factory a/c, sport seats. Only thing it didn't have from the factory was a limited slip, but I put one in.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

That makes me sick. I sold my 73S, sunroof, FULLY opted, leather sport seats/door panels/dash, thru-grill fogs, paint to sample, factory aluminum deck lid/AC, etc etc. for sub 30s about 6 years ago. It was mechanically great, I put tensioner upgrade, stainless caliper pistons, and generally resealed the motor with a superb tune on a perfectly functioning injection. I drove the car reliably daily and did several extended(800 mile) trips as well as a few DE events and the car was a dead solid, rust free driver. It was worthy of a full restoration but I was(still am) in track mode. I want a street fighter/track driver and an early car is hard to do that with when there are millions of SC/Carrera and much higher developed 964 chassis out there. A C4S is quite a machine when one starts counting fun-tickets.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 AM
alxcar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car! I have a story about a guy on a Pcar run with a similar colour car. While at the service station filling up a pedestrian looking at all the cars said to him "what ever made you buy a car that colour, Its terrible!" to which he replied. " Really, and what colour is your Porsche"............... Ill never forget it! Such comments just make you love it even more.
Regards

Quick Reply: Another longhood for export