Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic 911 Track Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What I see missing here so far is a description of how this car is set up. Worlds different (torsion bar chassis 911-wise) in what you're going to do in a stock car v. one set up like Jack's.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The first step in making a Cayman S fun is to turn the PSM or whatever the acronym is, OFF. I had one for a day when they first came out and took it to a favorite road that allows one to step the rear end out in a 911. I felt like the hand of God was fighting me in keeping the car on track. I made a u-turn, turned the gizmo off and tried it again. Much more fun being in control myself the second go.
Problem is with PSM it's always lurking in the background even when it's turned "off".
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
What I see missing here so far is a description of how this car is set up. Worlds different (torsion bar chassis 911-wise) in what you're going to do in a stock car v. one set up like Jack's.
+1000. I have thought that from the start of this thread. Set up is a huge variable. It's imposible to describe the effects in a track environment in any detail beyond theory. With that being said, I would suggest street tires the first few outings. Furthermore, it stands to reason that the chassis of the said car should be in proper state of repair with a solid alignment. A 911 lends itself well to technique and starting out neutral allows one to find the limits safely. Stay off of race-rubber.
What run-group are you in?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

But there are some basic rules and differences between a 911 and a Cayman. I would assume the car will be in good repair as he has some track time and will go thru an inspection. Nothing I saw would infer that there are any major mods.

The cautions on trailing throttle oversteer and the advice to take it slow and get some passenger seat time are all valid.

Quick Reply: Classic 911 Track Tips