Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic 911 Track Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

As with any car, the 911 will reward your smooth inputs. Staying on the gas when the rear end steps out may indeed require full throttle, but it often does not.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Senna wearing loafers.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

When any of us describe how we drive, there's no doubt a huge gap between what we actually do on a track and the capability and accuracy of the words we use to describe it. On top of that, the way readers comprehend what's being described invites another gap between description and reality.

'Trailing off the brakes' is a perfect example. This could mean ten different things to ten different people. It could mean a smooth transition off the brakes, or it could mean trail braking. I would say that if you're new to a Carrera (or even if you've got a year of track days in it), you shouldn't be doing anything like trail braking. Along the same lines, I'm admittedly not very clear on what it means, but I wouldn't be 'chopping' the throttle on a race track, ever. I also wouldn't 'pitch it in' to a corner early for the sake of breaking the rear end loose. But again, what that means, in actual driving on an actual track (What kind of corner are we talking about?), is very hard to pin down when you're just reading or writing a post online.

I believe the 911 rewards very disciplined and very conservative driving. It doesn't require much outside of a basic set of track-driving skills to outshine much more modern and more highly-powered cars. The 911 is an extremely simple track tool -- I guess you could think of it as something like learning to run marathons barefoot. At first, it's going to frustrate you and you're going to envy the guys in their cushy, high-tech sneakers. But (and this is conjecture for the sake of making a point --I don't know anything about running) if you get good at going 26 miles without shoes, you're set for just about any foot race that comes your way.

'Trail braking' as it tends to be understood on the internet, is something AWD drivers talk about as some kind of advanced driving technique that lets them maximize the benefits of the WRX and EVO drivetrain and suspension designs. I'm not a huge fan of those cars, but I do enjoy taking one of those thinker-talkers out and showing them how to get their car around the track quite a bit faster by forgetting all of their 'advanced' tricks and just nailing the basics.

I have no idea how much experience or skill anyone on this forum has. If I were in pairoducs' shoes, and I was transitioning from a (sophisticated) Cayman to a (simpler) 1987-89 911, I would spend my first several track days riding along with instructors in that type of car, having instructors ride along in my Carrera, and -- if I was comfortable with it -- having an instructor drive the car with me in the passenger seat. For starters, it helps to have an outsider give you an opinion on how your suspension is set up. Beyond that, being able to feel your car doing the right things is a huge help in learning how to get it to do those things.

How we describe what we're doing and the advice we get on the internet is all limited in its usefulness for learning to drive quickly on a track. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but in-car instruction is much, much better.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Senna wearing loafers.

Loafers with white socks! The white socks do help you see his feet though.

JackOlsen is also correct, an instructor in your car is the best way to learn. But you should really try and get on a skid pad with your car also. Every pro instructor I have talked to has told me that a skid pad should always be your first step in learning a new car. A big, open, wet parking lot works great.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 03-09-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Every pro instructor I have talked to has told me that a skid pad should always be your first step in learning a new car.
I agree. If you can find a good auto x course near you that would be a good start. Find something that actually has some stretches and high(er) speed corners. The ones on an air strip typically are better than the parking lot variety.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with having a good instructor. If possible, find somebody that owns and drives this platform as their personal car. After a day or so of instruction, see if you can get a ride in their car to see how they drive their older car. There is a huge learning curve, but once you master these cars you'll want nothing else, and what;s more, you'll be able to drive just about anything with four wheels. The air-cooled 911s are great "schools," as a good friend once told me.

As for autocross, I cannot agree more with that suggestion either. You will learn more about your car in a day of autocross than you will in a season of track days. If your region offers a car control clinic or autocross school, those are great, too.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a little different going down a rural road with a nice 90 degree turn driving my 997 vs my 83SC. My ignorance and lack of experience almost cost my life, the 83SC, and the poor oak tree that it missed by a few feet as the rear end slipped under me...yeah, I was going a little too fast and I braked in the middle of the turn!
Good luck with your new car...with experience and a little education its alot more fun than the new ones.
abe
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pairoducs
My current driving style is to threshold brake, trail off the brakes as I turn in and then transition to throttle. Neutral throttle through the corner, and then I am on the gas at the Apex and quickly to maximum throttle as I unwind the wheel. It doesn't sound like I need to change a lot based on the comments with the exception that I could potentially turn in earlier and use the oversteer abilities to move the car around the corner. Is that correct?
Yes, and you can get on the throttle well before the apex - the 911 has quite a bit more traction than the mid-engined cars under throttle. As some have said, it depends on setup (I had torsions, shocks, sways, bushings, etc.), but my SC was very forgiving and I could intentionally lift mid-corner in order to get the car to rotate. My 993 reacted much quicker and could more easily get me into trouble doing that.

Have fun! Those old cars sure do well and are a blast to drive.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
pairoducs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all ... that is helpful advice. I certainly will seek out an experienced classic 911 instructor to show me the ropes when I go back to the track in June with my '88 Carrera.

I am transitioning from motorcycles to cars. Just spend 2 days in the Porsche driving school and then 2 days doing my first DE with my Cayman S. Wanted to use the more "forgiving" car first. I was slotted in group 2 and my instructor signed me off to go solo. Very exciting few days and now I can't wait to get my Carrera on the track. I will likely be slower for a while getting used to it, but bought this car as a weekend fun car and track machine.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
You'll sell the Cayman after you start passing them in your 911.
Actually, given equivalent driver skill, I think you'll find the Cayman S is quite a bit quicker.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tips here !!!!

Doyle
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

Actually, given equivalent driver skill, I think you'll find the Cayman S is quite a bit quicker.
Perhaps so, but faster lap times do not always mean you are getting the most fun or rewarding experience. I have driven a stock cayman S. It's a nice car, but I find it a little dry compared to the old aircooled cars. I guess I'm a bit of a snob that way.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The first step in making a Cayman S fun is to turn the PSM or whatever the acronym is, OFF. I had one for a day when they first came out and took it to a favorite road that allows one to step the rear end out in a 911. I felt like the hand of God was fighting me in keeping the car on track. I made a u-turn, turned the gizmo off and tried it again. Much more fun being in control myself the second go.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the same to be true in the Benz, also. Definately, the hand of god......

How's that rebuild coming, Ed? Hope all is well.

Doyle
Old 03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I found the same to be true in the Benz, also. Definately, the hand of god......

How's that rebuild coming, Ed? Hope all is well.

Doyle
If I'm in SoCal next week, I'll pick up my heads and start assembling 3/20.

Quick Reply: Classic 911 Track Tips