Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1983 911sc questions**now featuring pictures!**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the caution's !

I agree I am excited about the car but will be having a good PPI done.

And I will be taking the car to Chris to have a look I have heard good things about him and would like the oppertunity to speak with an expert on the car and even if this one doesnt work out I will be better armed for the next one
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

My battery tray area looked quite a bit better than what I see in your pictures. However, a "small amount of rust" turned into something much worse. Here is my story:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-surprise.html

Not saying you will for sure encounter the same, but I would put good money on there being quite a bit of corrosion between the fuel tank support and suspension pan (which is hidden).

When the car is on the hoist, you will notice three rubber plugs on the underbody just in front of fuel tank. If you see an orange-ish hue (you may have to clean it a bit) then that is another clue. Also poke and prod this area, looking for more flexible areas where the sheet metal has become thin.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That car looks rough. I would expect lots of refreshing to get it right. Often people put lots of work into painting the brakes,fan,and calipers but neglect everything else. It's a sign of misplaced priorities. Where's the Fuchs?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info and post on the batt rust issue...to be honest I am back on the fence..financing may be an issue and although I think the car may be good mechanicaly there are a lot of what if's that could be big $$ I dont have at the moment...Will ponder it for a couple days

Quick Reply: 1983 911sc questions**now featuring pictures!**