Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 911 SC coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1982 911 SC coupe

Hey guys....I am new here and thinking about sending my dad (he lives near the car in Iowa) over to see this car. My dad is real car buf so he can give me idea on how it drives etc

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/1603188880.html

If I may ask....I have a couple questions.

1) IF this checks out (PPI), is this thing priced fairly ?
2) Would a conversion kit like this work for this car ? I see this one actually says its for 1985-89....do they make 1982 930 conversion kits.

http://www.cars.engisoft.net/EBMS/Ca...=4853&OrderBy=

Sorry....for the rookie questions

Last edited by Shannon123; 02-22-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: forgot links
Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The car looks nice with some desirable upgrades and some I not sure would be considered so by everyone. Does this car have a after market turbo? The price is on the high side for an SC. There are some nice nice Carrera's even G-50 cars for that money due to the economy.

The kit you have linked does not really have everything you would need to do the turbo look conversion. They also don't say if they are steel or fiberglass. They do have a steel kit fr $3895 that looks to have everything. Steel is the preferred way to do but more expensive. You would also need front fenders and rockers to make it look correct. Cars that have just the rear flairs put on look odd to say the least. Spacers for the wheels to get them out to the edge of the fenders or going to 9" Fuchs ($1200-1400 pr) out back and moving the 7's up front. Spacers needed for both. Body work to get the rear flairs on and that cars paint looks in VG condition so matching up to that will require a good painter to get it to look good. I may be off some, others can correct me, it will take $7-10K to do the mods you are looking at. I have seen turbos in the range of what you would spend for the car and the mods. JMHO Nothing has been cheap to do on these cars Good luck in the search.

Compare to this car from Oshin here on the board. Not a coupe but is a G50 Carrera and a lot has been done to it. http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/1603551488.html

What did you pay thread. Go to the last page as these prices are for recent sales http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...our-911sc.html
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Why does it have a boost gauge?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the ad writer meant to say vacuum gauge, or at least that the thing only measures vacuum since the car doesn't have a turbo. I'd say more like $13-14 for this car.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Diamond Blue
Does this car have a after market turbo?
Not sure about the Turbo...

I learned more from your comments than I would have learned in 2 months of time committed to research. Thank you so much for your help.

I'm pretty sure I will not have my father make the trip to take a look as the car is not quite what I wanted from the start and its pretty clear from your comments that from where it is, to where I would like to get it will end up being something that I will be burried in from the get go.

I just looked through the "What did you pay' thread and its clearly overpriced. I think TroyNs' number is probably very cose.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the boost gauge makes no sense.

As far as the SC goes, it is one of the nicer ones that I've seen in some time. I really think the mods are very nice, and this one classifies as an enthusiast 911. I would offer 15-16k since I think this one is probably in the upper end, especially if you're in an area that needs AC. This one has been well sorted, and is worth a look in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

My dad looked at the PICS and his first question was why the AC belt was missing........dummy me did not even notice.

I know this guy has had trouble getting offers as he has ran it on EBAY a couple times with $18,500 as ask price but best offer option.....he has not even had offers on it. Not sure what that means or if its just the sucky economy thats slowing EVERYTHING down.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon123
My dad looked at the PICS and his first question was why the AC belt was missing........dummy me did not even notice.

I know this guy has had trouble getting offers as he has ran it on EBAY a couple times with $18,500 as ask price but best offer option.....he has not even had offers on it. Not sure what that means or if its just the sucky economy thats slowing EVERYTHING down.
It means no one else liked it enough to buy it at that price. It doesn't mean that it's not worth it to you.

As already commented, it has many maintenance items/upgrades that are well done. I believe his stated $10,000 recent expenditures figure if he had mechanics do all the work. A seller can't expect to recoup 100% of his cost in upgrades, so I would think about what I would pay for this car given its cosmetic condition if it were unmodified, and then add a percentage of his upgrade cost. Then I'd subtract $2000 for the silly 964 electric spoiler... LOL only kidding.

Brett
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Baby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shannon et al, I was interested in this car and spoke to the owner about a month ago. The short story is the owner talked me out of the car in about 60 seconds, explaining I'd need to install a cat bypass and air pump (at least) to get it to pass Cali emissions. The long story is he indulged my questions about the car for another 10 minutes, then we talked about more important things for another 40 minutes. The guy is old enough to have grandkids and says he has owned more 911s prior to this one.

It is in fact a boost guage he describes. He was in the process of converting the car to a turbo (a turbo of his design!); hence, the gauges and the mechanical tail. He also mentioned the cooling fins behind the rear wheels were from a motorcycle. (I didn't ask, but I'm guessing Kawasaki.)

As for the price, I'm at least as ignorant as the next guy. But I've been looking for a car for six months or so. Based only on my recent search, on the description and on how clean the car looks in the pictures, the asking price doesn't seem extraordinary if everything checks out. It's hard to say that the guy has had trouble getting offers. He may just be holding out for a particular price.

Personally, I get a little queasy when I hear about people doing things like putting motorcycle bodywork on cars or paint engine parts red. But despite the superficial mods, it may be a solid car.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 baby. I've seen that car before(Ebay) and just kept going. Shannon123, I would put this one in your top ten list and go look at 9 other examples. I hate to sound presumptuous, but a 911 purchase is once in a lifetime and you want the right car. Keep us posted here at Rennlist and ask lots of questions, lots of smart people here who know these cars well and will be happy to help you along
Cheers
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a couple of things I don't like. No a/c belt because it's the wrong a/c compressor(cheap replacement), the CIS hard metal fuel lines are all bent up, the tires are on backwards, and the aformentioned bits.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whalebird
Just a couple of things I don't like. No a/c belt because it's the wrong a/c compressor(cheap replacement), the CIS hard metal fuel lines are all bent up, the tires are on backwards, and the aformentioned bits.
Holy Cow....tires are on backwards.....you guys don't miss anything !! Thanks for encouraging me to ask questions, I know I gotta start somewhere on the learning curve and the expertise here is superb !

Thanks also to Baby.....

Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baby
Shannon et al, I was interested in this car and spoke to the owner about a month ago. The short story is the owner talked me out of the car in about 60 seconds, explaining I'd need to install a cat bypass and air pump (at least) to get it to pass Cali emissions. The long story is he indulged my questions about the car for another 10 minutes, then we talked about more important things for another 40 minutes. The guy is old enough to have grandkids and says he has owned more 911s prior to this one.

It is in fact a boost guage he describes. He was in the process of converting the car to a turbo (a turbo of his design!); hence, the gauges and the mechanical tail. He also mentioned the cooling fins behind the rear wheels were from a motorcycle. (I didn't ask, but I'm guessing Kawasaki.)

As for the price, I'm at least as ignorant as the next guy. But I've been looking for a car for six months or so. Based only on my recent search, on the description and on how clean the car looks in the pictures, the asking price doesn't seem extraordinary if everything checks out. It's hard to say that the guy has had trouble getting offers. He may just be holding out for a particular price.

Personally, I get a little queasy when I hear about people doing things like putting motorcycle bodywork on cars or paint engine parts red. But despite the superficial mods, it may be a solid car.
No air pump in 82. Pretty sure 1979 was the last year for air pumps, and 1980 was the first year for the oxygen sensor feedback loop control which allowed elimination of the air pump. And, you must mean removal of a cat bypass and installation of a cat to pass smog testing. Could be a tough car for California, but any other state without draconian smog laws would probably be fine. Original poster has Texas in his profile.

Brett
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How odd. Spend the big bucks on the A/C, then leave the belt off? I guess he was wondering how to straighten out the kinks in the injector lines and just forgot it.

Installing Euro rear lenses only takes a few minutes, but installing fender mounted T/S lights takes a bit of work. If the car is a USA model with "original" paint, how could someone cut holes in the fenders to mount those lights? I'll bet this is a Gray Market car, which means that it must have EPA/DOT paperwork. Which means it'll never be registered in CA, or other smog-sensitive states. Hmmmmm...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just can't recognize which AC compressor that is. For sure, you don't want the orignal York. Those things are awful. It might be a Seiko rotary, and if it is, it's not a cheap replacement. It's not an ND for sure.

Quick Reply: 1982 911 SC coupe