Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 911 SC coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Just a couple of things I don't like. No a/c belt because it's the wrong a/c compressor(cheap replacement), the CIS hard metal fuel lines are all bent up, the tires are on backwards, and the aformentioned bits.
It's not an original York, which I understand wasn't a very good compressor to begin with, but it has the round profile of a Sanden, which is the typical compressor used in upgraded systems. I'm not so sure it's a cheap replacement. Is it not a Sanden?

The fuel lines bug me a little, but the tires I don't think are that big a deal. Just swap side to side.

Every car has its price. I don't think there's reason to dismiss this car outright depending on the potential buyer's intentions. For the original poster who expressed interest in cutting into the body, this car which appears to have a very good body (in pictures anyway) is probably not the greatest platform given that he may have to pay a premium for the good body. But, I agree with baby that the asking price isn't an outrageous starting point if it checks out well on a PPI and if the buyer is knowledgeable of the mods done and ramifications for registration in his state.

Brett
Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Baby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
No air pump in 82. Pretty sure 1979 was the last year for air pumps, and 1980 was the first year for the oxygen sensor feedback loop control which allowed elimination of the air pump. And, you must mean removal of a cat bypass and installation of a cat to pass smog testing. Could be a tough car for California, but any other state without draconian smog laws would probably be fine. Original poster has Texas in his profile.

Brett
Absolutely, Brett, re. the cat and bypass. (Typing faster than I was thinking.) He actually said there was no bypass and the aftermarket exhaust would have to be replaced with the stock exhaust for the smog test. Solutions are all well and fine, but all things considered it seemed like a hassle. Re. the air pump, that's great info---thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup. Sanden. The one with the odd bracket, usually supplied with SAE hardware and hose clamps for the hoses. They do work and are a generic replacement compressor that can be had at any auto parts store. They represent a budget replacement for the A/C system. FYI, the York is a 2 cylinder unit that makes real cold air, just at the cost of power and heat.
The tastefulness of the upgrades are debateable. It probably is a grey-market car, which can be good, but the money here is tops IMHO.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Yup. Sanden. The one with the odd bracket, usually supplied with SAE hardware and hose clamps for the hoses. They do work and are a generic replacement compressor that can be had at any auto parts store. They represent a budget replacement for the A/C system. FYI, the York is a 2 cylinder unit that makes real cold air, just at the cost of power and heat.
The tastefulness of the upgrades are debateable. It probably is a grey-market car, which can be good, but the money here is tops IMHO.
Given that the Sanden is sold with all the aftermarket systems, I just assumed it was a better compressor. My AC has not worked since I've owned my 911, so I'm certainly not speaking from experience. My York is in for show.

Yeah, there's still a lot of investigation for the potential buyer. The vents and deployable tail are not my cup of tea either.

Brett
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Is this a gray market car?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the tail would have been better if it were automatic. You know what is ironic about the ac compressor whatever it is? With that huge bellypan you might get cold air even with a York compressor.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Given that the Sanden is sold with all the aftermarket systems, I just assumed it was a better compressor. My AC has not worked since I've owned my 911, so I'm certainly not speaking from experience. My York is in for show.

Yeah, there's still a lot of investigation for the potential buyer. The vents and deployable tail are not my cup of tea either.

Brett
I would say that it is a more efficient compressor(than a York), but a compramise over the factory denso(retrofit) just for fitment reasons.
Just lots of little details about this one that nag. Not that it's a bad car, but It almost has to be a grey market car.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure looks gray market from the size of the intake runners. Also, had they moved past the 85MPH speedo by '82?

Quick Reply: 1982 911 SC coupe