Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby's Rebuild Redux

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Wait til I plan out her diet next year! Not too much, but some weight loss.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now you've got me thinking...RSA door panls, battery relocation just for starters!!! I've spent hours looking at photos of the 911R; it's a healthy exercise for 911 enthusiasts(diet pun).
Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've got the interior lightened with the door panels, perlon carpet in rear and Recaros. Lightening next year will be on each exterior end. Too many choices.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I did make some progress tonight-spent another $300 (head temp sensor, O2 sensor, circlips, second set of sparkplugs , Oil pressure switch, CV joint bolts and gaskets,, etc) on some goodies needed. Now, I'm really close to being done spending, I think. In my feeble mind, I believe I just need a new clutch disc (after I disassemble and inspect all of the clutch assy) and the new chip from Steve W., and sending the injectors out.

Tomorrow, I'm loving the fact it's s'posed to rain pretty good here. What better day to be wrenching in the garage?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ed, why the new sensors? Are you planning to do any balancing or checking weights of the top end pieces?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The set is balanced, according to Andial it is part of their spec. My head temp sensor was not replaced before, and I just want to make sure the plug doesn't disintegrate or something. The O2 sensor has been on about 5 or 6 years, and I just want to start fresh so my O2 system is good.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any good bits going on this weekend? I'm going to be cleaning the trans and area behind the flywheel on mine this weekend, not as exciting as yours!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm going to strip some more of the externals and go to work on making sure the exterior is pretty clean, and then start to open her up. Then more cleaning and inspection. Nothing too exciting yet.

Is the title of your Avatar Dawn in the vineyard, in the afternoon?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha yeah! I took the photo last fall and thought it turned out pretty good.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I spent a few hours on her today. Headers off first, they are slow as I have a big u-shaped 12mm wrench to get the copper locknuts off. Basically 1/4 turn at a time until they're off. Two of the studs backed out, so they go on the shopping list. Then a trip to Pepboys (buy stock in CRC) for several cans of brake cleaner. With my respirator and safety glasses on, I gave her a pretty good exterior sponge bath.

I removed the cam oil lines, oil cooler and valve covers and then drained out another quart of oil. When you think she's empty, there's more. Everything gets tagged & bagged. It always amazes me when you disassemble one of these engines-you get parts all over the friggin' garage. I've got to work the DME splitter in and decide where to mount the two coils. I think I'll focus on the motor, get it done and back together, then work on the ancillary projects. Tomorrow, I should get the chain boxes off, and hopefully the head/cam tower assemblies. At that point, more cleaning (heads and cam towers) and start on the assembly.

Some pics...note the assortment of parts!:
Attached Images        
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Cool. A little progress. A job like this requires a LOT of bench space. I don't like boxing stuff up, I prefer to lay things out as they come apart. As for the hardware associated with the different components: I use the muffin pan method. Literally- I put all the hardware from each component in a muffin hole. Go to a discount store(dollar tree etc) and load up on 6, 12 =hole muffin pans in as many sizes you can find. I learned this early on and it stuck with me. I've gotten a lot of poor jokes from others, but the factory does it. You can put a strip of masking tape down the middle of the pan and label each pile of hardware. This way at a glance, you can see each "step" of dissasembly in component form. A job this scale will take only a couple of muffin pans believe it or not. It looks like you've done a good job containing the mess. I also like the "heavy duty" engine stands with two legs sticking forward - it's easier to set a drip pan on. Anyway, I was just admiring the progress and appreciate you posting for us.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ed, let me know if you want to borrow my slotted socket for the O2 sensor.

I just realized that your heat xers do not have holes in them to remove the nuts.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doyle
Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
I don't like boxing stuff up, I prefer to lay things out as they come apart. As for the hardware associated with the different components: I use the muffin pan method. A job this scale will take only a couple of muffin pans believe it or not.

I also like the "heavy duty" engine stands with two legs sticking forward - it's easier to set a drip pan on. Anyway, I was just admiring the progress and appreciate you posting for us.
I've done the muffin pan thing before. When you're a klutz and knock one over, it defeats the purpose. I've switched to bags which are pretty safe in that regard. I also split stuff up pretty succinctly. There is one bag now in my collection that says "Distrubutor Nut". So, I'd use several pans. I just throw all the bags into boxes at the start, then I'll go thru each one and clean the components, and lay them out at assembly.

I had the engine stand you refer to. In fact, the legs folded up nicely. I sold it when we moved back to Cali. I got this one at HF for $40, and actually works pretty well. It has a front crossbar too, so it does have 4 casters. Their really cheap one only had a tripod design with 3 casters.

Originally Posted by rusnak
Ed, let me know if you want to borrow my slotted socket for the O2 sensor.

I just realized that your heat xers do not have holes in them to remove the nuts.
The header design is the reason why it's almost an hour project to get the locknuts off. I do have a special wrench to do this, but it is slow.

Thanks for the offer-I've got a slotted socket for the sensor. I get to use all my goodies again on this project. I even have a jig for setting the crank sensor clearance

The cleaning is what took the most time today, probably a couple of hours. To get this clean enough to open up and work on has been a concern of mine. I don't need any stray grit finding its way into the case. A complete teardown would be simpler in some ways.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 AM
whalebird
Race Car

+1 on the muffin pans - it's easy to blow one across the floor. Lots of bench space required. Good buy on the stand. i got mine from northern tool for around $75. Tools are like shoes, or tires. Really cheap, and really expensive are the best. The middle ground is useless, I love cheap tools (HF).

Quick Reply: Ruby's Rebuild Redux