Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby's Rebuild Redux

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
Ed, fantastic project! I wish I could afford an additional car like yours to wrench on too. What fun and learning. I just read you no longer have the 928. That was a beauty too.

Looking forward to following the rest of you install.
Thanks John. It wasn't bad the first three weekends when it was raining, but it will kill me having her off the road for several more weeks. I miss the Shark, she was almost as nice as your 930 was.

Originally Posted by salukijac
Hi Ed,
Where did you get the badge, I've been looking for one of those.
The badges were made up by a Pelican member a few years ago, and are now sold thru Pelican. I don't think I paid a lot more for the 3.4 bit than I did for the 3.2 version 7 years ago.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Got heads 4, 5, 6 on today and their cam tower. She's a Flat 6 again, sorta. Also redid the breather gasket, t-stat o-ring and put a new pressure switch on. I may or may not get some done tomorrow, but I'm home most of this week, so I may get some evening work done. Next step: Cams and cam timing!

One of the cool things about this, is you get some visitors. Here's Mario's (cbad-box) SC with the heart of a Carrera. A sweet car, and its sound was some great motivation!
Attached Images      
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

One more of Mario:
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Normally not a fan of such things but the silver and blue just looks really cool.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
cbad-box
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruby

Ed thanks for including a few pics of my SC in this great thread. What I like most about those pics is whats going on in the back round of the second one, looks like Debbie is losing that tug of war!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mario love the car, ever thought of a duck tail?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbad-box
Ed thanks for including a few pics of my SC in this great thread. What I like most about those pics is whats going on in the back round of the second one, looks like Debbie is losing that tug of war!
I noticed that too-who is walking who?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
cbad-box
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruby

Thanks for the kudo's on the silver/blue and yes a ducktail is on the to do list. Cosmetically the car came as you see it, she just got new rubber and last year the motor (3.4) and trans were updated.

Having the opportunity to watch Ed's build is an appreciated education. I pulled my drivetrain, did the brakes and other basic projects but did not have the confidence or experience to do a motor.

Ed back to you!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'll try this again, picked the wrong date for the pics the first go...

Well, with only a trip to OC tomorrow planned for this week, I got a little work done this evening. More cleaning of the chain boxes and then installation of them. I lubed the cams and journals and slid them in, ready to accept the timing gear, which I cleaned too. I also re-sealed all of the cam oil line fittings-they were never removed, but the seals are cheap! Pics of some of the various bits below. I've also included a pic of some of the necessary "chemicals" and aids for the builder during assembly.

Lots to go still, but with a 3 day weekend coming up, I hope to wash the boat and then get some more parts back on. I'm down to only 50 baggies of parts to wash and slap on! A long way to go still, as I still do a few things to the chassis prior to re-installing the engine, including wiring the DME splitter, mounting it and mounting/wiring the new coils, inspecting the rear monoballs, clean up around the engine bay, etc. But, the focus is all motor for now. Gonna miss a DE the first part of May, which is bumming me out. My goal is to get this together before I head to Le Mans 6/9, or even better, Memorial Day weekend.
Attached Images     
Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love those collectible cigar trays!!! I accidentally blasted my Avo cigar tray off the back patio table one day and...crash!!!! Blue Moon with orange?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I love those collectible cigar trays!!! I accidentally blasted my Avo cigar tray off the back patio table one day and...crash!!!! Blue Moon with orange?
I've broken another Tommy Bahama ashtray and a nice Crystal one my wife gave me as an anniversary present the last few years from them getting knocked off my bench, I know what you're saying!

Yep, Blue Moon is in season these days.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I've broken another Tommy Bahama ashtray and a nice Crystal one my wife gave me as an anniversary present the last few years from them getting knocked off my bench, I know what you're saying!

Yep, Blue Moon is in season these days.
I've have to find mine for you. My humidor is now a change holder and one of the ashtrays is a watch and ring holder in the bathroom. I thnk I have a hand made mexican cigar ashtray somewhere.

Cancer can kinda killed the whole cigar hobby for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

You are making good progress Ed - keep it going -

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the motor once you get her all broken in. I loved my 3.4!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep it up Ed.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
You are making good progress Ed - keep it going -

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the motor once you get her all broken in. I loved my 3.4!
I'm trying (but failing) to keep pace with your projects Jeremy-she is looking sweet. I'll bet she'll be awesome on the track with your magic.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Keep it up Ed.
I'm stumbling through this as "fast" as I can!!

Quick Reply: Ruby's Rebuild Redux