Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rolex 24 Hour Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Rolex 24 Hour Race

I hope some of you are watching the race! Porsche has a lot of competition in GT, but are holding their own. DP is a bit tougher, but Brumos is up and down, currently at eighth. I was so tired after a long week and then the last two days at the track, I ended up coming back to my hotel to catch some sleep-up at 6am and back over to watch the last 8 hours of the race. This is my first-if you've not been to one, put it on the "bucket list.

It is amazing the number of world class race car drivers running around, and then there are "regular Joes" like my investment broker who bought a ride in the Autometrics Porsche. He's of the skill level that I think he could do this full time. When our investments go up and he makes some money, I'm glad he's doing good things with it!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOES ANYONE HAVE FEED AFTER SPEED SHUT DOWN?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

They have it in the Daytona Club-not sure where it comes from.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Ed, assume you know that Glen is driving for the #14 Autometrics team? He was in the car around 1830-2000 EST. If you are there, go by the Autometrics pit and say "Hey!" I think he's resting right now.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

There are licensing issues on someone else broadcasting. On our threads over on Pelican, we have a number of links. Here's one:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-ra...ive-at-daytona
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Ed, assume you know that Glen is driving for the #14 Autometrics team? He was in the car around 1830-2000 EST. If you are there, go by the Autometrics pit and say "Hey!" I think he's resting right now.
I've chatted with him a few times for the last couple of days, met his co-drivers. They've been doing well condidering their car was used as a bumper stop a couple of times through no fault of their own. I've another buddy involved with Bullet Racing, the #22 car with the Canadian Maple Leaves on it. They're al from BC.

Chatted with Patrick for a bit too- Our buddy!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

Well, the Rolex 24 ended today. Ho hum another year to wait. Wow what a race! I cant remember a race in history with such mechanical carnage. Motors, transmissions, wheel bearings. Soo glad I made the trip. T.V. is great but you cant experience it unless you attend. Ed glad you were here, unfortunate we didn't run into each other. Check out our blog at www.redlinetechnik.com for articles and photos. We'll be posting a large photo file mid week, but there's already articles and some great photos posted. Stay tuned.
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, your broker is in the Autometrics #14. I worked there for awhile long ago. Gordon (friedman) is a nice guy. I remember Cory when he was...like 6 yrs old. I think they were 25th today but I keep hoping to see them up front one of there years.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Bixen
Well, the Rolex 24 ended today. Ho hum another year to wait. Wow what a race! I cant remember a race in history with such mechanical carnage. Motors, transmissions, wheel bearings. Soo glad I made the trip. T.V. is great but you cant experience it unless you attend. Ed glad you were here, unfortunate we didn't run into each other. Check out our blog at www.redlinetechnik.com for articles and photos. We'll be posting a large photo file mid week, but there's already articles and some great photos posted. Stay tuned.
Hey Marc: Saw a guy wearing a Redline jacket boarding the plane this morning just as I got into my seat and was settling in to go back to sleep (up at 4 EST!). I asked him if he was you and said he was your biz associate.

Originally Posted by whalebird
Cool, your broker is in the Autometrics #14. I worked there for awhile long ago. Gordon (friedman) is a nice guy. I remember Cory when he was...like 6 yrs old. I think they were 25th today but I keep hoping to see them up front one of there years.
That's the one-they finished with the help of a lot of Racer's tape. That car went through the war, even a direct hit into the tires at the Intl Horseshoe and a couple of punts by other cars. The #22 car from Canada had wheels made by my buddy JEff Alton-they were there at the end too, albeit a little worse for the wear. Had some drinks Friday night with some of the team-glad they went the distance.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 AM
RevMax
8th Gear

Hi Ed - this is Ernie Becker, Marc Bixen biz associate at Red Line. That was me on the early am flight from Orlando. I'm sorry I wasn't too cheerful, but it was an early AM flight and I was tired from a long week at the track. I raced in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race on Friday in the ST class (Honda #67) plus add in all the other stuff...

Check back in a day or so on: RedLineTechnik.com Marc shot tons of photo's through out the week and were sorting through them now. We will have images posted. I was able to get Marc a team hard card credential and that gave him access to go behind the scenes. He got some great shots.

But I agree, it's a fun but brutal race. I did the Rolex 24 in 07 and we dropped out at the 17 hour mark due to a mechanical. This year in the Continental Tire race the pace was so quick. And if you blinked, you paid the price in losing time or positions.

Looking forward to talking to you soon...ernie
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 AM
RevMax
8th Gear

Hey Ed - sorry for the confusion, but the pictures from Marc Bixen at the Rolex 24 are now posted. I thought it would be a day or so, but it was only a few hours. Go to www.RedLineTechnik.com to view. Enjoy
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Hi Ernie- No apologies needed! I was in the same boat and sick on top of that. Head colds and flying don't make a good combo. Funny-when I landed it was mid-60's in San Diego and it felt like it was 80 or something!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autometrics(Gordon) Gave me my first shot at working on european cars proffesionally and was very supportive. I had hot rodded a BMW 320i that I used them for parts on. Gordon looked at my car one afternoon and asked if I wanted a job. It was cool he let me on around my school. That was back in the late 80s and I was 16yrs old. I went in after school and worked on project cars, BMW clutches, a few Mercedes services etc. My first project car was helping the resident Porsche tech fully restore an ex-Peter greg 911RS(sportomatic). Thus the start of my (now) 23 year career as a German car dude. I don't know the crew these days as I don't live in Charleston anymore, but I did meet a guy named Chris Gomillion who is crew for them now IIRC. He's a crazy little guy with mad skills. Small world...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I snapped a few photos while there on Saturday, thought I would share. The Full set is here:
/
Mac McGehee is a business associate of mine, so we paid a little more attention to the autometrics team as well. Glad to see the team persevered and finished the race under the checkered flag

Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
RevMax
8th Gear

These are great pictures all. The Rolex 24 event is a must. Keep up the pics. And Ed totally agree on the weather thing. Thursday / Friday it was great at Daytona. Saturday / Sunday oh boy it was cold.

Quick Reply: Rolex 24 Hour Race