Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The things sellers say!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

You quoted an add I placed on Pelican not once but twice in the original post of this thread.

"the price is 15k it wont sell for less."

ITs very simple. The seller said thats his price and he's not going to take less. I could understand if he had the car priced at an unrealistic level but its not. Whats so odd about that comment? The idea was to keep people from asking "will you take x ?"

I was shocked at the number of people who asked if they could get a copy of the OBD print out and how many "over revs" the car had. Its a freeking 1993 OBD1 car with 140k miles, hard to take a buyer serious when he's asking that question.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping for more outrageous comments from sellers. I was duly disappointed. Nothing in there is really worth mentioning.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
floete
Instructor

like what?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
floete
Instructor

Anyway, I wrote a fellow about a car and here's what he wrote back:
"I owned this car since 2002 , drove it up from FL. Zero rust. doesnt burn oil .
It is currently titled and registered in FL , I have the title and all the paper work.. its way below the NADA value , getting married in October 2010.
Serious inquires only please. Thx. Dennis"

I don't know about you but including that 'serious inquires only' business in an email just slightly sticks in my craw in a whole diff way than reading it in an ad. (And it's not like I low balled the guy; all I did was ask three basic questions) But, hey, that's what makes a horse race!

Last edited by floete; 01-28-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some "buyers".

I was selling my 88 turbo. Got a phone call. The guy asked a few questions, knew nothing about P-cars. Then says " Can I come & drive it" I ask "are you interested in buying the car". He says no, I just want to drive it. Kid was 16.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about when a seller says a car was "celeberty owned"? Guy says Barbara Strisand owned the car, and I'm like OK thanks for telling me that- my offer is now $4K lower- ha!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
floete
Instructor

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
How about some "buyers".

I was selling my 88 turbo. Got a phone call. The guy asked a few questions, knew nothing about P-cars. Then says " Can I come & drive it" I ask "are you interested in buying the car". He says no, I just want to drive it. Kid was 16.
Yes, more buyer's stuff, please. That one's great. I'd love to chuckle over some others!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM
sj340
Advanced

Rust free (means no charge for the rust)

Only driven on sunny days (means it leaks when it gets wet)

Only driven on weekends (it is being repaired during the week for what broke on the weekend)

Doctor owned (I can give you a rectal exam so I must know about cars)

always garaged (I wish it ran so I could drive it)

lady owned (the oil has never been changed)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

"The carfax is wrong"

"its a ROW car but the MPH speedo and odo were put in at the factory so the miles are correct"

"this is the best shifting 915 you'll ever drive"
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of extracts from ads that were listed on our website...

* THIS IS ONE SWEET 2 DOOR CAR WITH MORE ATTITUDE THAN A CHIHUAHA! I DON'T KNOW IT THAT IS SPELLED RIGHT, BUT I MEANT THE LITTLE DOG ON THE TACO BELL COMMERCIALS.

* IF YA PUNCH IT AND STICK YOUR HEAD OUT THE WINDOW AT THE SAME TIME; IT'LL PLUCK THE HAIRS RIGHT OUT OF YOUR HEAD! COME BY AND TAKE A LOOK AT MY HEAD. I DID IT. NOW MY WIFE IS MAD AT ME!

*THIS THING IS LIKE A CHICKEN POT PIE WITHOUT THE CHICKEN, PEAS, CARROTS, WELL, IT IS REALLY LIKE A PIECE OF OF TOAST. THERE AIN'T NOTHING ON IT. JUST PLAIN.

* PAAAAAAAA KOW!!!!!!!! IF YOU STICK YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE WINDOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING AS FAST AS THIS CAR WILL GO.. YOU EYELIDS WILL TOUCH THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD!

*SHOOOT, I GOT AN UNCLE NAMED JIMMY AND HE DON'T LOOK THIS GOOD! THIS ONE HAS A SUNROOF AND HE TOLD ME THE BALD SPOT ON THE BACK OF HIS HEAD WAS LIKE A SUNROOF! I BEG TO DIFFER!

* STOP, DROP, AND ROLL! IF YOUR ON FIRE, THAT IS! WELL, IF YA BUY THIS ONE YOU WILL NOTICE ALL THE PEOPLE YOU DRIVE BY WILL BE DOING JUST THAT! CAUSE YOU WILL BE ON FIRE! fire, meaning, ya look so good you on fire an causeing others to catch on fire. it is a figure of speech.

* EVER SEEN A BLUE SO PRETTY YA WANNA JUMP IN IT AND GO FOR A SWIM? OKAY, I AM NOT GOING TO GET THAT GOOFY!!!!! I GROSSED MYSELF OUT ON THAT ONE. I AM NOT A ROMANTIC TYPE SO IF I OFFENDED YOU I AM SORRY.

* OKAY, IT IS FUNNY BECAUSE THIS VIN HAS THE LETTERS "BRF" AND IT REMINDED ME OF BARF. WELL, YA WON'T "BARF" AT THIS CAR!!! YOU'LL WANNA EAT IT UP! BETTER GET YA A BISCUIT!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

floete,

The best way to buy a 911 and not get killed:

1) Read the forums and learn the ins/outs of the car
2) Buy Peter Zimmerman's book - Keep it handy
3) Get a PPI
4) Spend more for a well documented car
5) Do your own work to keep running costs down

The reason most of us are passionate about these cars is because we see it as a relationship. Something we're committed to....... Investing time and money into the car pays us back in driving pleasure.

I'm not quite sure of your buying motives but you may need to calibrate yourself on price, condition and amount of investment you are willing to make. It sounds to me like you are seeking a perfect SC for $10k or less. In my shopping experience those don't exist.

We're here to help but laughing about seller's comments doesn't help you find your car.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM
floete
Instructor

Scott: I'm recalibrating as I go, yes I am, and reading books, including the Zimmerman book, which I have. And I am sorry if this post has offended you in some way; it's all meant to be amusing and in good fun (though I do know that definitions of amusement & fun vary from person to person ...)
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Not offended. However, one has to think about why these comments are placed in the advert. As mentioned earlier, I have sold a few P-cars. The 928 was very straightforward.... Guys asked legitimate questions and were serious about the car.

When I sold the 993, I lost count of how many guys called and wanted to drive it. After further diligence being done on the buyers, it was clear they had no intention of buying the car. It's very frustrating when trying to sell a larger ticket item and people feel compelled to waste your time.

Can the sellers word the request in a more friendly way? Sure. Most normal people will see the innuendos and understand. However, the dip$hits that want to joyride won't understand. Thus, the harsh wording.

Look at it another way, these guys are usually serious about selling their cars, so we as buyers, owe it to them to be serious about buying.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

tgage's comments were quite amusing.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

A guy I know was trying to sell his car (Mazdaspeed 3), wasn't getting much and then posted this ad, it's worth the read... (BTW, the car sold in less than a week after posting the ad)

Time travel machine: 2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - $22,999 OBO

Warning, this advertisement is intended for adults only; not so much because turbo chargers have been known to suck in the small and weak and eat them for breakfast but more so because most piggybanks don’t hold enough cash to actually buy the car and I am not interested in receiving pocket change for payment... If all you have is 92,996 quarters either convert them into certified funds or stop reading now.

So what are you getting for your money? For starters you get a couple “Mazda’s” in the name. The Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 is about as unique as a Starbucks right across the street from another Starbucks. Sure, there are a few out there, but it’s not common enough that everyone is calling their car BMW BMW M3, or Audi Audi S4 so you can take pride in the name before you even start the car. Further more, on the name, how many cars actually have the word speed in them? This is no “GT” or “S” model; those are for pansies! No innuendoes here my friend, straight to the point with speed in the name on the badge in the boot for the world to see, ... and see it they will as the rear of the car disappears off into the sunset leaving their weak-sauce “S” models in the dust.

This beast comes with all the standard equipment us octane starved thrill seekers could want in life. It has 263hp and 280lbs of torque to outrun the cops, a lively chassis to scare all your friends, and brakes strong enough to count as a chiropractic treatment.

Ever wonder why your watch gets out of sync? That’s because the Mazdaspeed3 has so much torque that if the loud pedal is pressed it actually, for a moment, increases the earth’s rotation by 0.0235% (or by about 43 seconds in layman terms). I don’t like resetting all the clocks in the house so I don’t do this regularly but I can’t control what other owners are doing, so if you are looking for someone to blame for the 2009 New Year’s count down blunder when the clock accidently says midnight too early, look elsewhere.

I couldn’t find a warning in the manual so I feel obligated to warn you that this car packs enough testosterone that it may cause pregnancy. Shortly after buying this car my wife was with child. Should you or anyone you know become pregnant after being in this car I take no responsibility. You must also be comfortable with growing hair in new places... Just saying.

My price on this bad boy is a steal at just $22,999, but I’ll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don’t show up and say that you’ll give me half of that. If you do, I’ll feed you to the turbo charger along with the small and weak that got sucked in during my commute home.

There is only 24,300km’s on this F1 car with seating for 5 and she is in mint condition. I don’t mean the kind of mint where loonies come from, I am talking about garage kept (as to not scare the kiddies at night), dealer serviced, and only fed Sunoco Ultra 94 since day one... none of that cheap urine filled crap from the bad part of town. This legend is sure to outlast you and all of your kin, after all its got two first names, so unless your name is Bob Bob Speed you haven’t got a chance so be sure to enjoy this beast while you can.

Serious inquiries only. Dealers or telemarketers should fear being fed to the turbo charger if you’re crazy enough to try something stupid like wasting my time. Ask about my one time payment plan, yes that’s right for just one easy payment of $22,999 this time bending beauty can be yours.

Quick Reply: The things sellers say!