Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie ? Can I retrofit the a/c from a 77 to my 70?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM
bulldog24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie ? Can I retrofit the a/c from a 77 to my 70?

Hey guys, I didn't realize when I bought my '70 911 that the vents were only for "airflow" and heat. Being in Texas, I'll have to have an a/c if I want to drive the car more than a month a year. I have access to a 77 Targa parts car and can strip the a/c, vents, hoses and etc out of it but am I going to be able to fit it in my 70? I know the under dash vents will take some modding but what about the blowers in the trunk? Any one attempt this?

PS-I'm also thinking about taking the engine from the 77 and swapping it. It's only got 88K miles on it and it's a 2.7 I believe.

Any advice for a confused newbie?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

I would take some time to look into aftermarket solutions... Yes you can retrofit the air from any vehicle into your car, IF you take the time to properly install it. You will not be pleased with the performance of the AC from the 77 when compared to the amount of time it will take you to get it running. There are companys out there dedicated to retrofitting modern A/C into classics. You would be much better suited looking into that option. 70's Porsche air conditioning is only slightly better than none at all, and is probably actually more frustrating.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
bulldog24
Instructor

Good to know. I have seen companies that have updated kits that will fit, just thought this was a much cheaper option. Will I still need the a/c compressor from the 77 or does that come with these type of kits?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest going with a rotary compressor when you do it. Most 77's had the older technology York compressor's that are bulky and marginal in performance. There are new systems that can be designed around your car. Just do the research to find out alternatives available.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This project just says "expensive" all over it. I think the short answer is yes, all the mechanical stuff can be swapped, and maybe the easiest way is to use the under-dash ac bezel. If you can score a floorpan condensor the project might be worthwhile. I think it depends on what parts you can find, the prices, and then for the final assembly and wiring, you may turn to a professional to install the relays, and figure out how to deal w the added load at idle, etc etc.

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/911ac/

Edit: with some luck, maybe you can pick up an entire system for cheap: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...c-removal.html

Last edited by rusnak; 01-21-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get everything to retrofit pretty easily and I think thats probably the best route. The condenser under the front pan may require some serious fabricating for flow. If you got the compressor, rear condenser, and dash panel fitted with wiring, I have seen people use the condenser from a 964 in the front left fender with really good results. I would be concerned about strapping a compressor to an old magnesium case, small displacement motor. And the 2.7 option is there, but that has a whole host of problems with getting that motor right AND getting it into the early car with proper plumbing/wiring. A good oil cooler would be a good idea in both cases as well.
My '87 924S has freezing A/C if you want to trade HEHEHEHE.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog24
Good to know. I have seen companies that have updated kits that will fit, just thought this was a much cheaper option. Will I still need the a/c compressor from the 77 or does that come with these type of kits?

Retrofitting A/C and "cheaper option" should not be in the same sentence. I was going to UPGRADE my A/C on my '84, and I was looking at $2-2.5K in parts to do it right for Texas. Then, I yanked it all out and went for early morning drives in the Summer.

I'd contact Rennair in the Hill Country. He's the guru of 911 A/C, IMO. Good luck, if you're keeping the car, it will probably be worthwhile.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
My '87 924S has freezing A/C if you want to trade HEHEHEHE.
I forgot to finish my story.....I yanked the A/C out of the 911 and bought a '91 928 with dual evaporators and heavily tinted windows. That thing was cold as it cruised at 150mph.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I have seen people use the condenser from a 964 in the front left fender with really good results.

^^^ *perk* !!

Please expand on that. Inquiring minds just might try this. Custom hoses I imagine. Remove the washer res tank?

Ed: Yes, that is the guy I was looking for. Rennair. My friend Mitch has used their services, and they are really top notch.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I forgot he has an e on the end of the name:

http://www.rennaire.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 AM
bulldog24
Instructor

I can yank the entire set out of the 77 Targa for under $200. Had toyed with the idea of taking the 2.7L engine from the 77 as well. I know that opens up a whole other can of worms including the wiring, trans, ignition, etc.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy a used 911/996.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Boxster for commuter duty. Boxsters are just cool cars and have a great chassis combined with creature comforts. In fact, this is the reason I have a 924S. By todays standards it has great build quality, is light and balanced, all with cold a/c and great power steering with room for groceries and/or a golf bag.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
bulldog24
Instructor

I have the 944turbo for my everyday driver and haven't needed the a/c yet but I'm sure it will be an issue in a couple of months. It's going to need to be upgraded and any leaks fixed. I just don't want the 911 to sit for 6-8 months out of the year because it's a hardtop with no a/c! I'm going to get the a/c components anyway, just in case, not sure I can get to that condenser in the floor pan as the car is sitting on a skid but I'll yank out everything else I can get to.

Quick Reply: Newbie ? Can I retrofit the a/c from a 77 to my 70?