Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

thoughts on a performance computer chip, good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 11:33 PM
garbers
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thoughts on a performance computer chip, good?

1985 911 3.2 carrera cab.

I'm thinking a getting a computer performance chip. Anyone know what type of HP increase? Is it worth it? GOOD OR BAD???????????????
Old 05-13-2003, 12:02 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have thoroughly investigated this issue and have concluded the following: A chip by itself offers very little performance improvement as it can only affect timing (specifically the "advance"). Unless you improve air flow, you will have little increase in performance. A chip accompanied by a header, heat exchanger, cone filters will have a dramatic impact i.e. 25-35hp at the rear wheels. If you need more, buy a 930.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

You may want to do a search both here and on the Pelican site - loads of information available.

Actually the chip also controls fuel maps, idle speed and RPM limit. There is certainly performance to be gained by only changing the chip, and more power available with other intake/exhaust modifications.

The mass-market chips vary - some are designed for otherwise stock engines, some are designed for modified intakes and exhausts. They're not all the same.

There's a guy named Steve Wong who does custom chips based on your other engine specs - you could also find him by searching the Pelican site. His prices are also lower than the mass-market chips (typically $230). I know a lot of guys who had him burn a custom chip and are very happy with them. I also have one waiting to be installed on my '88 Carrera.

The issue of how many pins your chip has will come up - you should have 24 pins (vs 28 on the later cars).
Old 05-13-2003, 10:36 AM
garbers
Track Day

I appreciate the information guys.

Hey, CN

I'd love a 930, probably would have to buy a second Valentine radar detector though.

Gary
Old 05-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

Just installed a Steve Wong chip after replacing the stock cat. and muffler with a Dansk Euro Pre-muffler and 70MM single outlet sport muffler. The SW chip definitely smoothed out the power delivery, what a difference. I have yet to really push the car but the driving I've done says the $$ were well spent.

Bill W.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 PM
nut11
Intermediate

Can't find him at Pelican. pls advise.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:29 AM
gr8fl4porsche
Intermediate

Steve Wong's email is stevekw@pacbell.net
Old 05-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

I've been collecting some DME & chip info, mostly gathered from Steve Wong's posts, and saving it in one document. Anyone who wants it can e-mail me and I'll attach it to a reply.

davethomas@empowering.com
Old 05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
FlatOut
6th Gear

I was at Pelican and came across info about Steve Wong. I had put a Dansk premuffler and 1 in 2 out sport muffler on my 86 911. I had a Weltmeister chip in it. That chip is junk! Runs to rich at Idle( hard to pass smog) and was way too lean at top RPM. The car felt like it just ran out of steam at 5900RPM. Steve is a great guy and his chip is SO much better than I had. Chips alone won't give you alot of HP, maybe 15 at best. Now my car pulls hard all the way to red line and is a nice improvement. Next project is a MAF from ProM. That should be another nice improvement and I'll dyno the car at that point and post results.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Douglas_T
Racer

From my experence they really do provide a nice improvement in Turbo cars and as has already been said not near as much with a na car...
It is good to do your research though! Good luck/skill!

Quick Reply: thoughts on a performance computer chip, good?